Celeb spotting new level !

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    About 12 years ago, I took my son to John Lewis to get some school shoes. Sally from Coronation Street was there with her children.

A few weeks later, I was in the Trafford Centre and saw her again.

A few weeks on, I was sitting in garage, waiting for my wife’s car to be serviced, when Sally came in and sat next to me.

I explained this was the third time I’d seen her in quick succession and asked her, “You’re not stalking me, are you?”

If looks could kill....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Jalapeno said:
    Norman Cook chatting with Zoe Ball .............. baggage reclaim

Euphemism?
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    I used to get really nervous on spotting celebs. I saw (my fave band, The Damned) bassist coming out of the pictures in Cardiff years ago and didn't dare speak to him. I feel sad about it now as he died a while back. Since then I've had a few very interesting chats with Captain Sensible.

Others include:

Been to John Coghlan's house for an afternoon. He likes military vehicles and wanted to show me his vintage army truck.

I used to work with Kelly Jones brother before Stereophonics were famous and was a big fan after Kelly gave me a demo tape. Kev Jones (we were good mates) invited me to their first Jools Holland but then he got swept up and nobody ever saw him again after that. I think he's their tour manager now.

Worked with Bruce Dickinson. He made me a cup of tea one day at his place. Had regular worky chats with him and got all my Iron Maiden mates stuff signed for them. It was a regular thing but he never minded so long as he could come and see what I was doing that day. Nice fella. Very grounded.

Tom Cruise was at our place the other week and I genuinely couldn't be bothered to go and get a glimpse of him. He was super nice apparently. Everybody had selfies with him apart from me. 

Best person I ever met was Captain Sensible though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2018
    I used to live in Guildford. Here are a few sightings:
    Kate O'Mara from 'Dynasty' - she was tiny.
    Paul Rodgers - coming out of Sainsburys, and we used to walk the dogs near his country cottage.
    "Look Mum, that's Phil Collins" - we got a truly filthy look.
    Mike Rutherford in Tesco's; I ruined his day by pointing him out to everyone. Score!!

Entering the old Anderton's in Haydon Place one day in the late 80s I came eye-to-eye with Allan Holdsworth. I blinked, he nodded. He was in full bike regalia and had a Holdsworth bicycle too - don't think he was related to the bike makers though.

My favourite; in 1995 I was walking up the High Street and passed Gene Wilder walking alone in the opposite direction. I said nothing as he was keeping his head down and avoiding eye contact. He was appearing at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre prior to a short season in London.

This is different from actually seeking them out for autographs, etc, isn't it? Otherwise I'd go on a lot longer!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Early 2000’s - Sitting on the jubilee line train, Steven Spielberg’ and his missus jumped on at St. John’s Wood station and sat down 
    Around 2016 - saw Jimmy Page carrying a load of posh looking shopping bags in Knightsbridge, walking with his missus

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Outside of work/professional connections, a friend of mine had a small village pub up near the minsmere bird reserve many years ago, a few famous faces came in from time to time. Most memorable was Bill Nighy. Stood having a beer and chinwag with him, he has that strange slightly slow delivery in real life too, nice guy though.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    I saw Jeremy Clarkson and Rory McGrath on stations platforms when I was working as a contractor and travelling through London twice weekly. I saw Clare Grogan in a bar in Edinburgh. Sat in a bikers café once (we were on bicycles, not motorbikes) and Stuart Cable (RIP) and Lisa Rogers walked in.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Seen various folk over the years on the underground and wotnot, but my personal fave was Imogen Stubbs in Padstow Tesco.

Probably no-one here remembers/has heard of her, but if not for then spotting Trevor Bloody Nunn at the checkout  waiting for her it could well have been the end of me and Mrs Snags as my inevitable charm would have swept Ms Stubbs off her feet.

Alas, it was not to be; although Mrs Snags has been a very acceptable substitute overall. (Dear heavens above I hope she never reads this, although she probably still remembers me trailing around that Tesco like a lovesick puppy chuntering "Imogen Stubbs" under my breath whilst trying not to look too much like a psycho).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    edited August 2018
    I saw the very sadly missed and quite brilliant John Pertwee about a week before he died, dressed as Dr Who doing a publicity stunt in Peterborough. If you've never heard him in The Navy Lark radio comedy you're missing a diamond performance. Truly one of the finest comedy actors of his generation.

I also saw (for my sins) Jimmy Saville a few times, again in Peterborough. He was working with Thomas Cook, who my wife worked for. At the the time we both thought he was a sickly creep.. how right we were!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Philly_Q said:
    A few years ago, a mate and I were heading up to London to see Lez Zeppelin (female Led Zep covers band).  We're standing at Reading station, and I said to him, 'don't make it obvious, but turn round'.

Which he duly did, to see Jimmy Page wander past.
    I saw JP at Victoria station a few years ago.  He's apparently not averse to public transport...
    He darent start a car near his house it would fall down.  What a shit heap
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    When I lived in Monton I used to see Chris Eccleston a lot even in the Doctors once when i was sat in a little 2 chair waiting area outside a room and he came and sat next to me, he said "alright" i said " yeah are you?" Just like that.

I like to think that we shared a moment that inspires him in his work to this day.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    equalsql said:
    I saw the very sadly missed and quite brilliant John Pertwee about a week before he died, dressed as Dr Who doing a publicity stunt in Peterborough. If you've never heard him in The Navy Lark radio comedy you're missing a diamond performance. Truly one of the finest comedy actors of his generation.
    I used to work in a shop in Putney where John Pertwee was a regular. He was undoubtedly a great comedy actor but he wasn’t a particularly nice man in real life. He’d treat the staff like a piece of shit on his shoe and always pulled the “don’t you know who I am? I’m THE John Pertwee, you load of peasants” act. We used to get Rodney Bewes in as well. In contrast he was a lovely bloke, very self effacing. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I'm distantly related to Winston Churchill and my nan knew him. My dad had a scuffle with John Lennon in York and hid in a bathroom while the krays smashed up a flat. 

Ive seen Christian slater in a noodle bar near Trafalgar Square.   I played football with Darren Anderson and warren aspinall. I met Adam woodyatt. I've spoken to Fish on the phone and Stuart from jamiroquai for work. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Excluding celebrity medical consultations for obviois reasons, I seem to have seen quite a few celebs over the years - but most memorable was when I bumped into Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit in Harrods many moons ago when I was doing a summer job. Genuinely funny bloke who behaved exactly as he seems to in interviews. Proper caracature of a 90s lad but friendly. I was a massive Oasis fan so that was a big deal for me at the time. Eventually asked him to sign something which he was reluctant to do, but Patsy persuaded him to. I then forgot to ask her for her autograph..
    In Brighton recently with the kids and walked past Brian May (v tall and bizarre hair) and Anita Dobson (v small and bizarre hair). 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    in the mid 90's I was on my way to Dublin..
    sat in the bizniz lounge at Gatwick chilling out, waiting for my flight..
    I was at a table on my own when a really tall and a very pretty blonde asked if she could share the table..
    she sat down.. didn't really say much.. a few mins later her other half showed up.. 
    he said 'hi I'm George'.. we shook hands and got chatting
    it was George Best.. he was a really nice fella.. really chatty and good fun
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I seem to attract a few - last week Steve Van Zant got out of a taxi by my front door as I was leaving home, dressed in full rock star

Often see lots of people like Martin Freeman, Claudia Winkleman, Michael Palin etc - but then I do live in Soho so lots of film stuff

Few years back sat next to Selina Miller on a flight to Florence, had 'words' with her whilst we were taxi-ing and she sat twisted for the whole flight so she could turn her back to me.

Lots more but two highlights -

Three years ago, flew to NY - stood next to Tom Morrello (Rage Against the Machine) at the baggage reclaim in JFK, got to the hotel dropped bags, took at walk in Central Park - to bump into (literally) Joe Satriani

And one to make you all jealous:

About 15 years ago, at Centre Parcs in Elveden Forest - I spent 15 minutes in a Jacuzzi with Steve Davies (pot the ball and screw back) etc.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    this lil' story didn't happen to me, my bassist told it to me about a mate of his..

his mate is a singer / guitarist from Brum
    he was on a train to London cos his band was playing a showcase for a major label
    so.. this old fella is sat on the seat opposite, see's the guitar case and asks him about music and his band etc..
    so my mate's mate apparently goes on and on for ages about his band, how they were on the up and up, the showcase etc..
    really digging himself and his band up..
    after a little over an hour, he asks the old fella if he plays guitar and the old fella say yes..
    he asks if he plays in bands and stuff and he say yes.. Deep Purple and Rainbow.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    In one trip today we've spotted

Grayson Perry & family @ Heathrow
    Fern Cotton & extended family (at least 4 kids) on our flight
    Norman Cook/Fat Boy Slim in Ibiza airport arrivals
    Then Norman Cook chatting with Zoe Ball @ Ibiza airport baggage reclaim
    Then Norman Cook behind me in the queue for Avis car hire

My rubber neck hurts !
    I met Norman Cook on an indoor ski slope in Dubai, he was really nice
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    jonnygreentrees said:
    I met Norman Cook on an indoor ski slope in Dubai, he was really nice
    Sounds like you come a long, long way together....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    A few months ago... Ms Siouxsie Sioux popping to the shops in South London, looking very chic and Parisienne and rather damn fine in a long dark green coat and boots. She definitely gave off a I'd-rather-you-didn't-obviously-clock-me-thanks-very-much aura, and I meekly obeyed.