England Trip

What's Hot

Comments

• @joneve I'll do that!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303

I'm also thinking at start of September when I get time off work, I'm going to do a Scotland trip! 
    Skye, Cairngorns, Aviemore, Loch Ness, Fort WIlliam & Glencoe. 
    I've never been to these places...! September though...
    Skye is so busy, you can travel for hours across Scotland hardly seeing a soul then Skye has thousands of european backpackers on it  - where do they all come from?  

Anyway, back to England... @roninby suggested Morecambe and although somebody gave it a LOL it does seem to have crept onto your itinerary. I haven't been there for a few years but my memory of it is a bit of a shit hole with quite a small nice bit so I wasn't sure how serious his suggestion was.* 

The sad reality is that a lot of English and Welsh sea side towns have seen better days. Although I have been to Skegness many times over the years and that clearly never had a better day to start with. 

* As a resident of the borough of Dudley describing somewhere else as a shit hole is not being judgemental, if Thomas wanted a tour of shit holes I'd have invited him down here.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Ah well you see, I thought Morecambe was a serious suggestion! I'll strike if off the list!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Ah well you see, I thought Morecambe was a serious suggestion! I'll strike if off the list!
    Yes. Do that.

It's where Noel Edmonds had Mr Blobby World......
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484
    Ah well you see, I thought Morecambe was a serious suggestion! I'll strike if off the list!
    Yes. Do that.

That was in Somerset at Cricket St Thomas, unless there were two of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Yes. Do that.

I think it was Blobby Land in Morecambe, Blobby World was in Somerset.I went [ shudders].

I might be being unfair to Morecambe, the Midland Hotel has been restored and re-opened now ( once famous for being so posh it turned away Paul McCartney for being scruffy). Fantastic art deco hotel, so if you like your art deco or want to pretend you are living in an Agatha Christie novel or just don't like Macca it might be the place to go.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    Yes. Do that.

I think it was Blobby Land in Morecambe, Blobby World was in Somerset.I went [ shudders].

I might be being unfair to Morecambe, the Midland Hotel has been restored and re-opened now ( once famous for being so posh it turned away Paul McCartney for being scruffy). Fantastic art deco hotel, so if you like your art deco or want to pretend you are living in an Agatha Christie novel or just don't like Macca it might be the place to go.  
    last time I went to Morecambe, it was one of the most run down and sad tourist towns I had ever seen.
    I assumed the plan to visit there was because of the guitar shop
    Glad to hear it's had some improvements
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266

Manchester would be on my list Tom. England's second city and buzzing as far as cities go. Will be a band on worth seeing in some venue everyday of the week. The Manc Museum, Whitworth Gallery, Manc Art Gallery, John Rylands Library and the cathedral are all worth a visit. If you like cities, Manchester is worth the trip. Lots of people on here can recommend where to go if you stay there.

North of Manc, and towards the Yorkshire Dales are a couple of well kept secrets that rival any part of the UK countryside: Ribble Valley and the Trough of Bowland. Full of history, lovely countryside, ancient pubs and the warmest funniest people in the country. Go see Stonyhurst College and do the Tolkein Trail to see loads of stuff that inspired him. Go up Pendle Hill. Loads of lovely villages, good food, good places to stay. Then you can hop into the Dales.

The Lakes are pretty damned stunning. You could do a lot worse than to base yourself in Bowness, Windermere or Ambleside and just fanny around from there.

If you did the Ribble Valley, you can take the A59 into Harrogate and then onto York (about another half hour from H'gte). Harrogate is alright, we go reasonably often, but tbh, its a bit dull really and a bit stuffy. Its elegant, in terms of buildings, but it is full of wealthy farmer/country types. Knaresbrough, which is about 5 miles on, has a really nice riverside area, in a gorge, where you can row boats, and take the waterside walk which is v picturesque. It has a pub called the World's End at one end of the walk too. Waterside is overlooked by a 12th century castle which is a bit interesting.

York is deffo worth a stop.

From York you could take the road over the N Yorkshire moors to Robin Hoods' Bay - my favourite stop up there. Stay in one of the pub/hotels down in the heart of the village. Very atmospheric place. You can take the coastal path and walk into Whitby, which is not a bad place. From Whitby you can walk the couple of miles along the beach to Sandsend, another nice little place.

Northumberland coast is stunning. Huge empty beaches. I'd stay in Beadnell, Crastor or Newton by the Sea. Its about 2 hours back to Edinburgh up the A1 from there, so you could do your way back.

Cities - York, Manchester, Lincoln. The rest I'd give a miss. Leicester is not that good mate, in fact, its a bit of a dive. Nottingham has some interesting pubs and a cave system under the city centre, but even so, I think there are more interesting places to visit.

Peak District is great, but then I am biased as I live on its' edge. However, if you are doing the Lakes, Yorks Dales that might be enough hills and dales for you. The Peaks are like a mini version of the Lakes, small hills and Lakes, but if you are visiting, I know it well, so could point you to the best bits.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    the Cotswolds is great, loads of beautiful places to go; more than welcome to drop into mine and we can go over to World Guitars, it's 5 minutes from me  =)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761
    Avoid Morecambe at all costs - it's not the nicest of places.........

How about including Leeds? the leeds armouries is a fantastic museum. Then a quick trip over to bradford to the film and television museum plus have a curry which will cost you next to nothing and be fantastic.

From there take the A65 out towards Skipton and then into Kirkby Lonsdale - then hit up the M6 for a junction and head into the lake district.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    the Cotswolds is great, loads of beautiful places to go; more than welcome to drop into mine and we can go over to World Guitars, it's 5 minutes from me  =)
    WTF? I thought you were nearer Bristol? I'm sure we've had this conversation before :D...are you in Stroud then??
    joneve said:
    WTF? I thought you were nearer Bristol? I'm sure we've had this conversation before :D...are you in Stroud then??
    yes, Stroud :) We probably have had it before  =)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    joneve said:
    Ah! Our offices are at the Coach House on Rueford road heading into King’s Stanley now, absolutely love the area. 
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    joneve said:
    Typical Stroud dweller....... shot to shit from all the drugs you've been doing 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    If you stop off in Stratford upon Avon you can also take in the Richard's Guitars experience (genuinely - small shop, but friendly in a slightly mad way, and some nice stuff there you don't get everywhere).
    Snags said:
    If you stop off in Stratford upon Avon you can also take in the Richard's Guitars experience (genuinely - small shop, but friendly in a slightly mad way, and some nice stuff there you don't get everywhere).
    Just don’t email him beforehand to check anything...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SidNewton said:
    joneve said:
    Typical Stroud dweller....... shot to shit from all the drugs you've been doing 
    I'm probably a bit too old for all for that. And if I wasn't I'd move to Gloucester :)
  • Few folk have messaged me asking if I like driving lots in rainy November so I'm half-thinking now of getting a flight down for the jam and using my week's holiday for a week away ..
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Snags said:

My Furch came from there. The whole process was ... novel, and not really appropriate to share on a public forum (nothing naughty, but given there's history here it could be misinterpreted, and at heart I like the guy). The phrase "own worst enemy" does rather spring to mind. I would love to do an objective consultancy gig for him, though; so much potential.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    Snags said:

My Furch came from there. The whole process was ... novel, and not really appropriate to share on a public forum (nothing naughty, but given there's history here it could be misinterpreted, and at heart I like the guy). The phrase "own worst enemy" does rather spring to mind. I would love to do an objective consultancy gig for him, though; so much potential.
    I bought a mandolin from him - he is the only U.K. distributor of Godin A8’s. The transaction was flawless and utterly reliable. It was set up and perfect.

The email comms were like the twilight zone..