Where to GAS next...?

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12190
edited August 2018 in Guitar
I'm sort of (despite having a new Bass) suffering from a bit of GAS at the minute, as well as my usual post-jam success crisis of confidence.

I sometimes fix this with a new guitar, however, I've got a bit of a quandary..

I literally have no idea what to buy!

However...

- I already own four LP style guitars, though none even close to as pricey as that one

- I'd be almost scared to play it, it would represent a huge investment for me and last time I took out a guitar with a nice flashy finish (my PRS SE "Bloody Mary") I scratched the bugger, so I'd not take it to jams etc.

- I'd almost certainly end up selling all the other LP style guitars I have, and I've not had any luck selling gear to-date.

So then I look at cheaper guitars to "add to the fleet"

like...

Now those seem really cool and different, but after initial GAS satisfaction wore off, would I be ultimately disappointed, and am I ultimately just trying to avoid the relisation that Strats don't do much for me personally by looking at wacky ones?

Any thoughts?  Anyone else have this particular first-world problem?

Don't even get me started on amps, the Katana 50 is everything I need, but then I see things like the new AC30 and that H&K Andertons were selling off...
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1744
    What happened to no gas?? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12190
    What happened to no gas?? 
    I ate some beans....

Quitting never lasts though does it? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    edited August 2018
    GAS is an affliction - not a physical state like libido! If you don't have a specific hankering you are  experiencing NO GAS - Thus you should be thankful  - "May the Lord Open"
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

is it that some people are never happy with their gear??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Tbh I don’t get this whole thing of gas. 

It's a symptom of affluenza.
    If you do not suffer this affliction then you are fortunate and you can thank your lucky stars.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849

That might be because you already own all the guitars ;)
    fftc said:

If you do not suffer this affliction then you are fortunate and you can thank your lucky stars.
    Surely it’s just an excuse 
    dazzajl said:

That might be because you already own all the guitars ;)
    Don’t knew what you mean.  ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Fretless bass
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849
    Fretless bass
    That’s a really really good call. Something familiar and yet totally different than can be had new and perfectly fabulous for around the £200 mark if you don’t want to risk a lot. 

My little Ibanez is definitely cheap but feels fabulous and is a total joy to noodle on. I’d happily gig it if the need arose too. 
    dazzajl said:
    Fretless bass
    That’s a really really good call. Something familiar and yet totally different than can be had new and perfectly fabulous for around the £200 mark if you don’t want to risk a lot. 

My little Ibanez is definitely cheap but feels fabulous and is a total joy to noodle on. I’d happily gig it if the need arose too. 
    That logic is the reason I recently bought a bass, noodling on it a lot more than guitar at the minute.

It's quite relaxing, sort of mellow.
    dazzajl said:
    Fretless bass

That logic is the reason I recently bought a bass, noodling on it a lot more than guitar at the minute.

We should have a bass meetup and compare notes!
  • Don’t know what your team consists of, but those Little Sister guitars get me burping every time I look at them :-)
    Roland said:
    The work I've seen from some of them here is absolutely amazing.

If I were to order something custom though I'd have literally no clue what I wanted!
    dazzajl said:
    Fretless bass

I have a feeling your collection thoroughly trumps my little Ibanez!
    dazzajl said:
    Fretless bass

I have a feeling your collection thoroughly trumps my little Ibanez!
    Maybe, but you can try a load and we can swap notes on playing technique and amps etc..
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    fftc said:

Surely it’s just an excuse 
    Mibbes aye, mibbes naw.

When your rational mind knows that you have plenty enough gear to be getting on with, but you still have an irrational urge to buy something else, and your irrational mind then starts to rationalise the madness to the point where you believe it. You do have a justifiable reason to buy that next piece of gear!
    It is part of the human condition and stems from the same part of the brain that drove explorers to ask 'What's over that next hill, across that next ocean?'. It's just a lot less dangerous. Until your wife finds out that is!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    dazzajl said:
    Fretless bass

E, F, G And Done. ;)

Why get a guitar/Amp Ed? New pedal time maybe? I know your Katana "does" fx, but a new sound with familiar equipment often helps to inspire.  
    i don't use it often but i keep my HD500 board around as it has a bajillion different fx in it and can always find an interesting combination to send me to a new rabbit hole..

or get a Chapman guitar for a bit of controversy. Even though they are actually really great guitars :)