A salutary tale for modders everywhere

What's Hot
Decided to perform a few electronics upgrades on the Shuker Fretless. It's nearly 10 years old - and it's noisy (hum and white noise)

Upon investigation there are two reasons for this:

- A single coil Jazz pickup 
- An older preamp for it, with an EMG PA2 gain boost going into the graph tech ghost piezo system - gain on gain on gain etc..

So. Bought a new posh noiseless Nordstrand Jazz pickup and a shiny new Delano 3 EQ preamp. Lovely. Also decided to go 18v for even less noise and more headroom.

Spent most of this afternoon and early evening ripping old out and putting new in. Result? Nowt. Nothing. No sound. Nary a single blip or squeak. Sigh.

Investigations revealed three learning points for the would be modder (in order of utter stupidity)

- It appears the ghost preamp only plays nicely with other preamps if you use the "AUX PWR" out on the board, and not a split line from the battery... (sigh)
- It is also true to say that you should string an instrument up before declaring it dead. It is silent. No noise or hum, and the faintest of hiss when the treble is cranked and the gain is well up on the amp. Plugging in and hearing no noise is not a sign you have wired it like a numpty.
- When converting to 18v you need another 9v battery. CHECK THIS ONE ISN'T FLAT BEFORE INSTALLING cos if you don't you really do look like a numpty when the missus strolls in and after much cursing at her about it she says "have you tried swapping the battery for another one to see if it's not dead?"

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• (btw - the Nordstrand pickup and the delano preamp sound utterly divine - proper tasty and thus I'm now well pleased)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2018
    *Edit* posted on wrong thread 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    Well you did better than me, I did all the mechanical stuff and took it down the bass centre, it was a while ago. 
  • ...you really do look like a numpty when the missus strolls in and after much cursing at her about it she says "have you tried swapping the battery for another one to see if it's not dead?"

You also now owe her a gift!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697

- When converting to 18v you need another 9v battery. CHECK THIS ONE ISN'T FLAT BEFORE INSTALLING 

What an absolute Amateur!

I’ve never made that mistake.  

Not since the last time ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited September 2018
    I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself @Bridgehouse - you need to fret less....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited September 2018
    ...you really do look like a numpty when the missus strolls in and after much cursing at her about it she says "have you tried swapping the battery for another one to see if it's not dead?"

You also now owe her a gift!
    I don’t want her to think she solved it!! She did look pretty smug tho..
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

Been a long time since I wielded a soldering iron, but having discovered my ancient and battered Tele when moving house, I started tinkering again. First mistake was buying pots whose spline won't fit through the control plate. Gah…..

So, having repeated that error twice now, I resorted to buying a complete new loom and control plate......it will go in at some point in the near future, along with new pickups.

all this cos I love the neck on it...….

• You don’t have to string it up, you can tap on the pickup with an Allen key or screwdriver with it plugged in, you’ll hear noise if it’s working 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    You don’t have to string it up, you can tap on the pickup with an Allen key or screwdriver with it plugged in, you’ll hear noise if it’s working 

That won't work as well on this particular bass.   It has a hidden pickup under the fretboard
  • WezV said:
    You don’t have to string it up, you can tap on the pickup with an Allen key or screwdriver with it plugged in, you’ll hear noise if it’s working 

That won't work as well on this particular bass.   It has a hidden pickup under the fretboard
    This is very true ;) 

It seems the EMG PA2 was the cause of most of the consternation originally as it was noisy as hell. I def. wouldn’t use one again!
  • You don’t have to string it up, you can tap on the pickup with an Allen key or screwdriver with it plugged in, you’ll hear noise if it’s working 
    As Wez said, it’s hidden - but interestingly the Nordstrand pickups make no noise at all if you tap the bottom... and the top is completely inaccessible in this install!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I spent an age trying to work out why my sustainiac that I installed wasn't working. A gazillion wires to check. I was stumped over many days. As a last resort I thought I'd check the new battery that I put in.

Doh! I'd picked up an old one ....
  • axisus said:
    I spent an age trying to work out why my sustainiac that I installed wasn't working. A gazillion wires to check. I was stumped over many days. As a last resort I thought I'd check the new battery that I put in.

Doh! I'd picked up an old one ....
    I felt like such an arse...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    TTony said:

- When converting to 18v you need another 9v battery. CHECK THIS ONE ISN'T FLAT BEFORE INSTALLING 

What an absolute Amateur!

I’ve never made that mistake.  

Not since the last time ...
    “Is it plugged in and turned on dear?” Cures 95% of faults.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5412
    I appreciate that posting this means that the maw of Hell will yawn wide and spew forth ironic and karmic retribution all over the rest of my week but ...

... as someone who is a total klutz with a soldering iron, on Saturday I managed to cleanly remove the pickups from my knock-off Tele and install the Oil City HonkeyTonk Angel set that had arrived on Friday and it worked first time. HA!  TAKE THAT, FICKLE UNIVERSE!

As my only other recent soldering was knocking up some junction boxes to simplify the external connections from my pedal board I was immeasurably pleased with myself.  Will doubtless now take on a project that will utterly defeat me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my defence, it was a complex install - the control cavity looks like the last vestiges of Maplin in administration spewed up its guts and settled in there for long term respite
  • Have you not wondered how your wife knew the battery was flat??
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you not wondered how your wife knew the battery was flat??
    Duck Dildo...
  • WezV said:

Fair point. You could tap it after the circuit was complete with it outside of the body, if there was enough slack in the wire.