Edwards Les Paul... advice needed please

What's Hot
Seen this on facebook and I must say, I really like the look of it. Seller hasn't given much information, other than it's got SDs and it will 'rip other Les Pauls apart'. Asking price is £1000... what do you guys think?

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23404

Edwards guitars are very good.  They will be proper USA Duncan pickups, hardware is all quality Gotoh stuff and the fretboard is actual ebony.  The quilt top is probably a veneer but they use decent timber.

Not sure about the price, when I was buying Edwards guitars years ago they were well under a grand, but exchange rates have been bad and guitar prices generally have gone up a lot.

And I like the colour.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14572
    tFB Trader
    Edwards and Navigator Guitars have a big reputation - Most are sold in Japan with little distribution and stockist outside of home turf 

For what it is then 1K is not a bad price at all - Colour is a  bit of a 'marmite' colour - Not a problem if you like it and don't intend to sell it, but might not be a quick seller if moved on sometime  in the future
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Looks great - very Justin Hawkins!

I'd echo what Mark says.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1589
    £1k feels high to me, but if you like the colour then you probably won't see another, so depends on what that's worth to you.

This Edwards was better value for example, with less risk when it comes to resale:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/144252/sold-edwards-e-lp-90ltc-vintage-white-les-paul-style#latest

I sold a 335 on here for a little more than that this year, and bought a 'standard' Edwards LP off eBay for £450ish 3 or 4 years ago.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    IMO it's overpriced by a good bit, should be closer to £500-£550 maybe even less considering its marmite colour

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    John_A said:
    IMO it's overpriced by a good bit, should be closer to £500-£550 maybe even less considering its marmite colour

Hmm....you won't get it for that. I'd say £850 minimum - does it have a case?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    jdgm said:
    John_A said:

Hmm....you won't get it for that. I'd say £850 minimum - does it have a case?
    Is it new?  Then maybe I was a bit stingy with the valuation
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2006
    edited November 2018
    I like the colour, but you can get them for 1100 new - not in that colour though.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1330
    edited November 2018
    IMO overpriced, 600-700 is top what I'd pay for it. They play great, I bought one off @Chalky few years back. But from what I understand based on various online sources these are not fully Japan made, assembly takes place in China which regardless of quality makes a grand rather steep, especially second hand.
  • Lovely guitars but i also agree its overpriced. A few years back - when Rich Tone were selling them - i picked up a brand new black beauty for £600ish. Everything was great except the fret ends which were a little sharp in areas and actually i flaw i thought i shouldnt expect to see when clearly so much care had gone into the flawless finish of the rest of the guitar. I ended up selling it for about £450 i think and at the time i was happy with that price. I agree exchanges havent been kind but while they are nice i wouldnt pop any more than £700 on one used.
  • Ps, there are at least 4 LPs showing up on the completed items on ebay that have sold. The highest was £595 (John Sykes model)...2 sold for around the £350 mark. Its a unique colour so i guess that factors in but im gonna say value wise £550 is more reasonable
    KrisGee said:
    IMO overpriced, 600-700 is top what I'd pay for it. They play great, I bought one off @Chalky few years back. But from what I understand based on various online sources these are not fully Japan made, assembly takes place in China which regardless of quality makes a grand rather steep, especially second hand.

I don't think it's ever been fully confirmed exactly how and where Edwards guitars are made, but lots of sources on the internet claim the woodworking (and presumably finishing) is done in China, then final assembly and setup is done in Japan.  Which probably qualifies them as "Made in Japan" under some arcane legal definition.

It's a bit like the somewhat grey area between higher-end Mexican Fenders and lower-end USA Fenders, all made by Mexicans.  Donald Trump must love 'em.

• Philly_Q said:
    KrisGee said:

I don't think it's ever been fully confirmed exactly how and where Edwards guitars are made, but lots of sources on the internet claim the woodworking (and presumably finishing) is done in China, then final assembly and setup is done in Japan.  Which probably qualifies them as "Made in Japan" under some arcane legal definition.

It's a bit like the somewhat grey area between higher-end Mexican Fenders and lower-end USA Fenders, all made by Mexicans.  Donald Trump must love 'em.

Thats my understanding...i think theyre initially assembled in china (or possibly Korea) and then finished in Japan. Tbf mine easily stood up with some gibsons i’ve had over the years so its no big issue but compared to my all Japanese Yamaha SG or my Gretsch it was as well finished
  • Thanks everyone. Think I'm going to give this one a miss; I know what I'm like with flipping gear and I'll end up taking a big hit on it, even if I can get the price down
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2387
    Philly_Q said:
    KrisGee said:

That was the case several years back, but I thought that changed and they were back to genuinely all-MIJ now? At least, that's what I read, it could well have been wrong.

@Dave_Mc ; you could be right, I really don't know. 

I'm just thinking back, I think I've owned 8 Edwards guitars and I didn't think the 2 most recent (around 2011-12...?) were as good as the older ones.  But whether that's Japanese production or Chinese production, I have no idea.

edited November 2018
    LOL I don't even know if I'm right- IIRC I said what you did in a thread over at (I think) Ultimate Guitar a few years back, and someone chimed in to say that, while that had been true for a while, they had moved the production back to Japan. I'm not sure exactly when it happened (if it even did). EDIT: Just to clarify, since that sounds pretty skimpy evidence, I think the guy in the thread provided a little more info than that.

I've only tried 2, mine and a s/h one in a shop several years back (and I have no idea how old it was).
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6263
    Edwards were definitely assembled in Japan (not MIJ) when they first appeared, and were priced below equivalent actually-MIJ Tokais.

I've just got back from Japan and don't recall seeing MIJ stickers/labels on the Edwards. The Japanese market is now swamped with Chinese stuff: Photogenic, Grassroots, Buskers, Lumber (which seemed a bit meta to me).
    ^ There definitely were some which had "Made in Japan" stamped onto them- I think (might be misremembering) the second-hand one I tried said "Made in Japan" on it, and I've definitely seen pics online of ones which had "made in Japan" stamped into them. Mine (which was definitely within the period where they were only assembled in Japan) doesn't have the MIJ stamp.
    There was a brief period when Richtone had some Edwards guitars in stock, 6 or 7 years ago.  I think they had "Made in Japan" stickers - not stamps - but that may be a figment of my imagination, TBH.