Major and Minor keys

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• viz said:
    Danny1969 said:
    It seems C is the home chord, G being the 5th and all it's just it keeps the tension and never actually "goes home"  ... the vocal is in C major therefore M'lud I conclude it is in C maj despite never going there. 

However @Viz I know you extremely knowledgeable in the area of music theory so I'm interested in what key you would think ? 
    That’s perfectly possible - it just all hinges on where you hear home. I hear it concluding on G, you hear it on C. It’s so ambiguous, we could both be right - so could close2u. 

It’s like one of those cube wire diagrams. You can flip it so it’s convex or concave; both can be perceived as correct. 

Sweet Home Alabama is in D though. ;)
    Sweet Home Alabama is in the South!

Y'all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    viz said:
    close2u said:
    Take Dreams by Fleetwood Mac.
    ... it can be described as modal progression in F Lydian (4th mode of C).

… to my ear anyway ... it’s in G mixolydian ... it’s deffo not in C
    Could be that too … and to be fair I've not stepped back to see that before … I've only stepped back to see it as not in C.
    Had a big argument with a keyboard player in a band once who got really heated that it was in C - because there were no sharps or flats on his score, because he only played on the white notes. He came back the week after having spoken to his piano teacher whose response was something like … "F Lydian? Well, that's something only a guitar player would say."
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    close2u said:
    viz said:
    close2u said:
    Take Dreams by Fleetwood Mac.
    ... it can be described as modal progression in F Lydian (4th mode of C).

… to my ear anyway ... it’s in G mixolydian ... it’s deffo not in C
    Could be that too … and to be fair I've not stepped back to see that before … I've only stepped back to see it as not in C.
    Had a big argument with a keyboard player in a band once who got really heated that it was in C - because there were no sharps or flats on his score, because he only played on the white notes. He came back the week after having spoken to his piano teacher whose response was something like … "F Lydian? Well, that's something only a guitar player would say."
    Those pesky keyboard players!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive always taken the happy/sad thing to refer solely to single chords and nothing else.

Compare a G major chord to a G minor chord and the major one is clearly "happier" (to those of us raised on western music). 

However whether a piece of music is happy or sad depends on far more other things than just the key. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom