Any Orange Rocker 32 users here

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
It's on my shortlist for a new amp but Im anal about bottom end thump (add puns here)

Any users in a live band situation?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17662
    tFB Trader
    It's included in this roundup and I must say to my ears it sounds really bad.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2359
    edited March 2019

I had one for a short while and it was one of the worst amps I've ever played through, and there have been many.

I wanted it to be perfect (the spec certainly was, as was Guitarist's review) but it was totally lifeless sounding on both channels, and the enclosure was too small to get any real benefit from its stereo selling point.

I got it for £599 new in a Rich Tone sale and have never been as glad in my life to get my money back for something when I sold it on eBay a few weeks later.

YMMV of course but, on the whole, real world user reviews are underwhelming at best and vastly different to the arse kissing reviews all magazines always give to Orange gear...

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    That's all I needed to know
  • I agree, I wanted one and went to a store armed with the cash to buy one as it seemed to be perfect for a pedal platform. 

Tried it out and sounded lifeless and boxy.   Even the sales assistant said they were difficult to 'sell' for that price against better amps in the category and the Crush 120 solid state smashed it out the ballpark tone wise.  

I personally think you could probably get a good tone if you have an eq pedal and some clean boosters but it kinda defeats the object i think.

I had it with the 18/30 Bassbreaker on my shortlist - I'll need to check that out now
    tFB Trader
    There is a new Bassbreaker 30 Watt that's come out.

I thought the Bassbreaker 45 was really good when I tried one, but it seems to have been discontinued.
    There is a new Bassbreaker 30 Watt that's come out.

I thought the Bassbreaker 45 was really good when I tried one, but it seems to have been discontinued.
    I've seen a few comparisons where the Bassbreaker gets scarily close to JTM45 territory
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    What about a laney lionheart. Stellar cleans and around that price point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Yeah the Bassbreaker 45 is essentially a JTM45 with power scaling.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72558
    I don't know, but the older Rocker 30 is excellent. It has plenty of bottom end thump and sounds great in a band context - the guitarist in my band uses one. Discontinued, but not too rare and not that expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2019
    In had a rocker 30 but I found it too boxy - the rockerverb 50 however ...........
    Yeah the Bassbreaker 45 is essentially a JTM45 with power scaling.
    But only one channel sadly
    tFB Trader
    That's what pedals are for :)
    That's what pedals are for :)

This is where i struggle - pedals dont give you that big volume jump for a solo that an amp channel will - unless im missing something
    tFB Trader
    You can get a fairly big volume jump from booster into a clean amp.

If you have a single channel filthy amp like a JCM800 you are a bit stuck though.
  • kreggs said:
    What about a laney lionheart. Stellar cleans and around that price point.
    Don’t own one but tried a number of times. 20W is gorgeous. 5W version is great for bedroom jams.
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    I've got the rocker 30 head and the bottom end is massive not boxy at all for me but then again it is going through a h&k 4x12 with 65s and 2x12 with vintage 30s :/ 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    It's included in this roundup and I must say to my ears it sounds really bad.

I think that's probably due to the defective piece of flesh at the end of the guitar, rather than the amp itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I was thinking about that because Danish Pete does the small amp roundup and makes all the amps sound great.

In some ways the chappers one is better because it's more achievable.
    Regardless the Orange and Blackstar sound noticeably worse than the Fender Marshall and Vox.
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    I've tried one and there's no contest with the original Rocker 30 head. The R30 is far superior - more authority and depth thanks, in large part, to its EL34s. Certainly not boxy.