Best way to practice tricky licks/song parts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Adi It's very funny you should be learning The Final Countdown because I recently had to play that song and found the solo deceptively difficult.

This would be much much easier to explain in a video
    Wis'd

Here you go:

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    @Adi It's very funny you should be learning The Final Countdown because I recently had to play that song and found the solo deceptively difficult.
    I've been playing for over 20 years, and that solo was a bugger for me to master.
    The tricky thing is achieving that 'swirling' effect created by the rhythmic motif of those arpeggios, maintaining the integrity of the demi-semiquavers and the semiquavers, without it all sounding like semiquavers.

For me, the trick was so practice very slowly, and really being aware of where in the beat the demi-semiquavers occur, and really making a point of accenting them, and pretty much playing them as quickly as I could to make time for the next note.

I also found focussing on the demi-semi that lands on beat 3 and using that as an 'anchor' to keep the timing solid really helped.

This would be much much easier to explain in a video

Thanks for your post , it's weirdly encouraging knowing that I'm not the only one struggling with it, especially that I've only been playing for 2 years, having started learning guitar at the ripe age of 33.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom