Kids Drum Kits

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    It's really useful advice, thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

I am still undecided, but he is only 5 and he's learning on an electronic kit at his lessons so I think it will be ok for him to begin with, but I can definitely see the drawbacks. He had a whale of a time in the shop when we looked at them, so I am pretty hopeful he sticks with it. I did wonder about an acoustic kit with practice pads, but I think if that was to be the way he was to play most of the time then an e-kit is probably better... I don't know though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I say give your kids all the encouragement you can with music and throw money at it. We did with our 4. Oldest son could be good at electric guitar but lacks the ability to practice. Still surprises me the odd time he picks a guitar up. Second son gave up viola and never looked back. Second daughter is struggling slowly with piano lessons, but .... my oldest daughter really took to music, she's just turned 18 and plays piano extremely well for just 3 years of lessons. She was self taught before that for some years. It is a joy to hear her play and it has inspired me to get back into piano after decades of indifference. My mum and dad are very old now but my dad in particular absolutely loves to hear her play. She can sit and play lots of stuff from memory now, including some lovely Studio Ghibli stuff. Makes me feel proud. All 'investment' has been well worth it! 
    That’s really cool!

I agree completely. I had the opportunity as a kid to learn guitar from my Dad but I was never willing to invest the time or patience. I tried a few times and wrote it off in my teens because  “I wasn’t musical” or something. I started learning in 2015 at 35 years old because our older son asked me why I couldn’t play any instruments... I’ve loved learning ever since and have been kicking myself for not doing it when I was a kid.

Both our sons love music and seem to love learning to play too, so I’m hoping to harness that now and encourage them positively as much as I can.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I have just taken delivery of a gear4music electric kit for my son’s birthday. He’s 7 on Thursday and was really taken with an electric kit when I went guitar shopping a couple of months ago. He hasn’t stopped wanting one since so I thought why not. The gear4music kit was £180 so not too much of a risk.

This is the one...

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Digital-Drums-400-Compact-Electronic-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music/10O6
    Nice one! Hope he enjoys it. :)
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    This has also been discussed round my house. My 6 yr old enjoys posing with guitar and mic and does some amazing rock moves, but has talked about wanting to be a drummer for a while now.

At what age / size does a regular sized kit make more sense than a little one?
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    We just bought one of these as a birthday present for our 7 yr old.

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Junior-5-Piece-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music-Wine-Red/NZ4

I tried to get him into guitar with a 3/4 size one from Thomann and a Blackstar Fly but he seems to want to be a drummer!!

Anyway, quality wise it was as expected really.  A minor bit of tweaking was required to get the lugs to line up but it went together fine and will serve for the next year or two to see if he runs with it or not.  If he does, then we may upgrade to a proper sized kit and if not, you'll probably see it on here!!!

Size wise, it fits him perfectly at the moment.  He's a skinny little monkey but height wise about normal for 7 I'd say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This was my dilemma too. He is still loving lessons so we opted to get him a kit and went for an electronic kit for size / space / noise reasons. We got an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit which was a good deal compared to other ones, or as far as I could tell it was.

It's still boxed up as he won't get it until his birthday at the end of May but he is still talking all the time about wanting a kit, so this seems to be a good decision at the moment. From looking at them built up and online, it appears to be fully height adjustable so should fit him fine from now until he's an adult.. but if he's still playing in 5 years or so, I would imagine we are going to be buying something else by then!

We got a package deal from GAK which includes headphones, sticks and a stool. All of it seems much better quality than the Tourtech ones at a similar price. Although the full mesh Tourtech one (which would've cost us nearly £100 more) looks great. I am still unclear what I need to buy to play out loud though... as soon as I look I get confused.

• redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    andyp said:
    This was my dilemma too. He is still loving lessons so we opted to get him a kit and went for an electronic kit for size / space / noise reasons. We got an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit which was a good deal compared to other ones, or as far as I could tell it was.

It's still boxed up as he won't get it until his birthday at the end of May but he is still talking all the time about wanting a kit, so this seems to be a good decision at the moment. From looking at them built up and online, it appears to be fully height adjustable so should fit him fine from now until he's an adult.. but if he's still playing in 5 years or so, I would imagine we are going to be buying something else by then!

We got a package deal from GAK which includes headphones, sticks and a stool. All of it seems much better quality than the Tourtech ones at a similar price. Although the full mesh Tourtech one (which would've cost us nearly £100 more) looks great. I am still unclear what I need to buy to play out loud though... as soon as I look I get confused.

@andyp The Nitro Meah kit does look good. Mind me asking what deal you got?
    edited May 2019
    @redrighthand ;;

No probs. I paid £345 for the kit, stool, (basic-ish) headphones and an extra pair of (decent looking) sticks. Looking at the website today that's not exactly a big discount, but better than nothing! The kit itself is listed at £339 and the package deal is £359. It was a better price than I could find anyway.

In comparison, we could've gone for one of the Tourtech ones from Guitar Guitar but it was a mesh snare only and around £280 for the package... or they had one that was all mesh for £399 for the kit only... so I guess getting on for £450 with the stool etc.