New guitar: Gibson SG Junior - review

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I like the Juniors, they're all business, no unnecessary flashiness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    gringopig said:
    HNGD indeed but for me a £1100 guitar which needs replacement parts from the get go from its owner is a no-no.
    How much!!!  :o :o
    I thought you were having a larf until I checked the prices.
    As much as I like Gibson Juniors, that is bloody ridiculous.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited May 2019
    gringopig said:
    HNGD indeed but for me a £1100 guitar which needs replacement parts from the get go from its owner is a no-no.
    It doesn't need replacement parts, it's perfectly playable and functional with the original studs. I chose to fit new ones that's all.

Juniors are often upgraded with new bridges and tuners, it's all part of the fun.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

gringopig said:
    How much!!!  :o :o
    I thought you were having a larf until I checked the prices.
    As much as I like Gibson Juniors, that is bloody ridiculous.
    Where have you been the last few years? Have you seen the price of made in the US guitars these days? There aren't many cheaper than this.

I'm glad I didn't post about buying a Gibson Custom Shop Junior...or a limited edition heavy aged goldtop...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1088
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I am interested in acquiring a SG junior and really enjoyed your review.

How are you feeling about the guitar after having had it now for a year or so? How does it stack up with your other guitars?
    LPManic said:
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I am interested in acquiring a SG junior and really enjoyed your review.

How are you feeling about the guitar after having had it now for a year or so? How does it stack up with your other guitars?
    Loved it so much I sold it pretty quickly!

The SG Jr felt kind of flimsy and blandly generic, I just didn't bond with it at all. Maybe a Custom Shop one would have felt a bit more solid and grabbed me. My Custom Shop '61 SG is much more appealing.

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1088
    Thanks @RandallFlagg. I had the GAS for a SG Junior a couple of weeks ago - and I found a 2020 one on offer (£200 off) - but I didn't pull the trigger. Been spending more time with the LP and it is satisfying the GAS... for now!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    An SG with P90s is a wonderful thing. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I had GAS for an SG Junior and nearly pulled the plug on one of the new ones. Then I snagged a 65 model for not much more and I absolutely love it. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I have GAS spilling over from my "regular" SG thread into SGs with P90s.... holy moley :( 
  • BGG said:
    I had GAS for an SG Junior and nearly pulled the plug on one of the new ones. Then I snagged a 65 model for not much more and I absolutely love it. 
    Another owner of a ‘65 SG Junior chipping in. Well worth it as a way to own vintage for similar to what 2nd hand custom shop would cost.

Still very happy with mine having bought in 2019. Trades lap time with my R9. Neck profile very similar on both as my ‘65 is the 64 spec side of the transitional year with wider nut and thicker neck than the later models.

Really can’t go wrong with a junior though. Good quality tube amp and you can get plenty of different sounds out of 1 tone and 1 vol.