Broken Guitar from ebay..an apology to the seller....

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3086
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Bought a Highway 1 Strat off ebay which arrived today, very nice guitar, checked it all over tumed it up, electrics all working, so went to set it up to my preference, a bit too much neck relief, so out with the allen keys, couldn't get one to engage in the truss rod nut, out with a torch...no adjuster nut, truss rod has sheared, no sign of the nut!
Shame, nice guitar, looks to have had very little use, bugger...its a really nice guitar, USA made, with a scrap neck!....

Have messaged the seller, to see if he will refund enough (£200) to buy a new neck....this is how it arrived, amazed it wasn't damaged on transit.....

http://i.imgur.com/w22OuhZ.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I wouldn't be very happy with the seller at this point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3086
    edited May 2019
    http://i.imgur.com/CzDO3tD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VaaVl79.jpg

Most annoyingly its in otjerwise really good nick, zero fret were, one scratch on the upper horn, it is otherwise unmolested, setup was apalling, appears to jave been owned by smeone clueless and hardly played, then they broke the truss rod......it a lovely neck....such a shame......just needed a good clean, fret polish and a setup......bugger!

I guess ebay will side with me if a partial refund is not forthcoming......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    paulnb57 said:
    That is ridiculous. Always collect when buying on ebay. Too many idiots around like this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited May 2019
    paulnb57 said:
    http://i.imgur.com/CzDO3tD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VaaVl79.jpg

Most annoyingly its in otjerwise really good nick, zero fret were, one scratch on the upper horn, it is otherwise unmolested, setup was apalling, appears to jave been owned by smeone clueless and hardly played, then they broke the truss rod......it a lovely neck....such a shame......just needed a good clean, fret polish and a setup......bugger!

I guess ebay will side with me if a partial refund is not forthcoming......
    I respectfully withdraw my comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Posting a guitar like that is just pure stupidity. Just send it back and get a full refund.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    On the plus side, it's marginally too cold for the bubble wrap to react with the paint finish, so he clearly was well on top of that one....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    paulnb57 said:
    Bought a Highway 1 Strat off ebay which arrived today, very nice guitar, checked it all over tumed it up, electrics all working, so went to set it up to my preference, a bit too much neck relief, so out with the allen keys, couldn't get one to engage in the truss rod nut, out with a torch...no adjuster nut, truss rod has sheared, no sign of the nut!
    That's impossible. If the end of the rod has sheared, it and the nut will still be behind the walnut plug - there's no way for them to come out. If you're looking into the hole and can't see anything, you're looking into the recess of the Allen nut.

Are you certain you're using the right size Allen key? It *must* be a 1/8", *not* 3mm or 4mm. Of course it is possible that the previous owner has already used a 3mm and stripped the socket, which is why it won't feel like it's locking in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2970
    tFB Trader

Was just about to say^^. Stewmac Gripper might work if you're lucky, it did on mine just barely but I replaced it anyway because I wanted to refin the whole guitar neck and all. A PO must've used a 3mm and knackered it. Pic to show the nut etc

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/strat/7_tr_nut.jpg

ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:
    That's impossible. If the end of the rod has sheared, it and the nut will still be behind the walnut plug - there's no way for them to come out. If you're looking into the hole and can't see anything, you're looking into the recess of the Allen nut.

Are you certain you're using the right size Allen key? It *must* be a 1/8", *not* 3mm or 4mm. Of course it is possible that the previous owner has already used a 3mm and stripped the socket, which is why it won't feel like it's locking in.
    In conjunction with @ICBM reply and a message from the seller stating that it was virtually unplayed and had hung on the wall since 2006, I had another look, took a chance and removed the tuners and string trees for a better look, still couldnt see anything, so took a long bradawl and poked about, the bloody thing was stuffed full of compacted dust.....can't believe how much there was in there, so......the truss rod nut is
    a) there
    b) 1/8"
    c)the truss rod works
    and
    d) I've apologised profusely to the seller

I feel terrible!.....

3reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Well, given the way it was shipped, I'd say you guys are about even :)

Good result though, especially if the guitar is otherwise perfectly fine. I've had proper facepalm moments like this before (usually preceded by that horrible sinking feeling that an exciting purchase is turning out to be a nightmare). Enjoy the strat!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    Happy days!! How that ever got to you in one piece is a miracle! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14498
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:

happens so many times with USA models - Not sure if the metal is to soft as well - But that 1/8" correct size allen key is mighty close to a 3mm or 4mm version and can cause it to 'strip' and effectively leave  around hole as against a hexagnol nut

I actually put tape round one end of my 1/8" allen key to distinguish it

I've got to the point now, that if I trade in any USA model, with the truss adjustment at the top nut end I check them first, for such an issue
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    It's a very stupid design. The key size is just asking for trouble, and if the nut does get rounded it's then impossible to replace it without taking the walnut plug out.

The only reason for it to be like that is to make the rod double-acting, and that's so rarely ever necessary - I've needed to reverse-tension a rod just once in all the time I've ever been working on guitars - that it causes a problem far more commonly than it solves one.

The 70s 'bullet' nut was a far better idea - it's still a 1/8" key socket, but if it gets damaged you can get the nut off fairly easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rossirossi Frets: 1710
    edited May 2019
    I got a Squier Joe Trohmann off gumtree .It played fine but  weeks later when i checked the truss rod there was no hex and it was jammed solid .I sold the body for more than I bought the whole guitar for as it wa  a bit heavy and put the neck on my SE Strat body  .Its now a very nice player but no truss rod adjustment .My attempts to use an eazy out on it ended with the easyout also jammed in, a right pigs ear .I got it out in the end but its now cosmetically challenged  a bit .The Squier Trohman neck is a hidden  gem and difficulty to find another spec  like it .Its basically a 22 fret medium jumbo large head 12 inch radius strat neck that really suits me .It still plays well but not sure about playing it live .
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    Well...

That de-esculated quickly.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19156
    ICBM said:
    It's a very stupid design. The key size is just asking for trouble, and if the nut does get rounded it's then impossible to replace it without taking the walnut plug out.

The only reason for it to be like that is to make the rod double-acting, and that's so rarely ever necessary - I've needed to reverse-tension a rod just once in all the time I've ever been working on guitars - that it causes a problem far more commonly than it solves one.

The 70s 'bullet' nut was a far better idea - it's still a 1/8" key socket, but if it gets damaged you can get the nut off fairly easily.
    And looked soooo much cooler  ;)
    Gassage said:
    Well...

That de-esculated quickly.....
    Well, didn't it though!

I still feel terrible, however the truss rod allen hole was stuffed full of compacted dust...
    I've cleaned it up, had to resurt to T Cut on the body as it was filmed with something that wouldn't come off with a damp cloth. The fretboard was drier than a dry thing so that got Lemon Oiled, I swapped out the Scratchplate for another to retain the original protective film and stickers that were still present and bagged up the original with the Trem spring cover and its screws. Added two springs to the Trem and decked it. While under the bonnet, I fitted a treble bleed to the volume pot as I always do to my Strats......
    It was factory wired with tone on neck and bridge, no middle tone which is how I like it, forgot to look and see if the tones are Greasebucket as I think they should be.....
    I was the first human under the hood, you could tell by the tightness of the screws.....

Seller said it was bought and hardly played and just hung on the wall since 2006, it wouldn't tune against the trem springs, as received the setup was terrible, so that sort of fits with no use as does a lack of playing wear...
    I'm chuffed as nuts, a great sounding made in USA Nitro finished Highway One Strat......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19156
    paulnb57 said:
    ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:

In conjunction with @ICBM reply and a message from the seller stating that it was virtually unplayed and had hung on the wall since 2006, I had another look, took a chance and removed the tuners and string trees for a better look, still couldnt see anything, so took a long bradawl and poked about, the bloody thing was stuffed full of compacted dust.....can't believe how much there was in there, so......the truss rod nut is
    a) there
    b) 1/8"
    c)the truss rod works
    and
    d) I've apologised profusely to the seller

I feel terrible!.....
    Kudos to you for owning the whole situation & yet still sharing it here  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Good to hear that worked out well in the end.