Yesterday - The Beatles movie

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Goodnight Sweetheart is better, but you wouldn't know because you haven't seen it 
    GNS was fucking awful naff crap.  Were you 7 years old or something!
    Behave yourself it was ground-breaking, Lyndhurst was a tour de force!!
    It was edgy stuff really.

A primetime "safe" comedy show that was essentially about adultery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23014
    He was pretty good in Butterflies. 
    I loved Butterflies. Possibly an odd thing for me to have liked, to what extent as a teenage boy I was supposed to empathise with the plight of a bored suburban housewife I don't know. Maybe I should rewatch it now, as I'm the father of two young men who aren't moving out perhaps it would make a whole new level of sense to me.   

I loved Butterflies too.  Execept Leonard, I hated Leonard, bloody smarmy git in his chauffeur-driven Granada (...was it really a Granada?  That's what I remember, but it was probably a Bentley or something).

You're right about Going Straight, that was a crushing disappointment.

And The Two of Us.  That wasn't great either.  "Oh Elaaaaiiine…!"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    edited July 2019
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Goodnight Sweetheart is better, but you wouldn't know because you haven't seen it 
    GNS was fucking awful naff crap.  Were you 7 years old or something!
    Behave yourself it was ground-breaking, Lyndhurst was a tour de force!!
    It was edgy stuff really.

A primetime "safe" comedy show that was essentially about adultery.
    It was edgy, very much so, and yet it's always Brookside that gets the plaudits for trying new storylines, go figure.

As an aside, Goodnight Sweetheart also proved the perfect vehicle for a young Victor Macguire who not long after was starring in hollywood blockbusters such as Lock Stock and Barrel.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12402
     I'd like to see the egghead Boyle come up with anything better than Lyndhurst running down a street dressed as Robin. But then a true thespian like Lyndhurst wouldnt sink to the depths of acting in a production by that Manc tosser, not after the "Yesterday" pummelling heights of Goodnight Sweetheart anyway. Youve got it dead wrong this time Raymond.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I can't stand Danny Boyle for what he said about Jordan's kid Harvey.
    He won't be getting any of my money.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't know how true this story is but I heard that Gibson are targeting Danny Boyle for his part in counterfeiting Les Pauls. Apparently his garden shed is full of them.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    edited July 2019
     I'd like to see the egghead Boyle come up with anything better than Lyndhurst running down a street dressed as Robin. But then a true thespian like Lyndhurst wouldnt sink to the depths of acting in a production by that Manc tosser, not after the "Yesterday" pummelling heights of Goodnight Sweetheart anyway. Youve got it dead wrong this time Raymond.
    What are you smoking?

What has Boyle got to do with Lyndhurst? 

To draw comparisons, they have got to be similar.

Boyle, an Oscar winning Director.
    Lyndhurst - arguably a great actor.

They are not the same thing, neither really created a movie, one is a director, one is a actor, neither a script writer.

"come up with anything better than Lyndhurst running down a street dressed as Robin" eh, sure, don't give the actual writer of Only Fools and Horses any credit, give all the credit to the guy who reads it off a page he has been given. Like you don't blame Jack Barth or Richard Curtis for writing the script to Yesterday, blame the guy who didn't write it and got handed the script to direct.

To form a believable argument you need to actually have to make sense.  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It shows that you guy are really weird when it is clear as day that Jack Barth "came" up with the idea.

But you lot are blaming Boyle.

Makes zero sense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    edited July 2019
    They're both shite ideas for a film, so we can all stop worrying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited July 2019
    You’re all forgetting an important fact:

This film was endorsed by the Beatles estate

I heard Paul and Ringo hated goodnight sweetheart, but George quite liked it.. not a ringing endorsement..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How can you refer to Lyndhurst as " arguably a great actor" he is THE finest actor of his generation. The man has it all, the looks, charisma, great hair and most of all the acting chops. The only reason Boyle hasnt cast him in a movie is because he knows that come premiere night all the red carpet attention would be on Lyndhurst. Then he would be "Bitter Boyley from Bury" in the papers the next day. And dont talk to me about Curtis and his Notting Hill elite. Hes just making up for the fact that years ago he made a film about Notting Hill with no brown people in it. WTF? Too late now to kow tow to the champagne lefties.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited July 2019
    How can you refer to Lyndhurst as " arguably a great actor" he is THE finest actor of his generation. The man has it all, the looks, charisma, great hair and most of all the acting chops. The only reason Boyle hasnt cast him in a movie is because he knows that come premiere night all the red carpet attention would be on Lyndhurst. Then he would be "Bitter Boyley from Bury" in the papers the next day. And dont talk to me about Curtis and his Notting Hill elite. Hes just making up for the fact that years ago he made a film about Notting Hill with no brown people in it. WTF? Too late now to kow tow to the champagne lefties.
    You have a serious problem.

1 - You have bias, both for Lyndhurst and both against Boyle and Curtis.  Evidently a massive hard on for Lyndhurst….are you both related?

2 - What is Lefties got to do with anything.  This isn't political.  

I find that when someone pull in something external that has nothing to do with the argument at hand, they are clutching at straws, you currently have a massive pile of straws on your lap.

3 - You still haven't mentioned Jack Barth's name once, the guy credited for the idea of the movie"  Which shows you don't know him so you have no "dirt" on him therefore you are blaming other people associated with the movie that you don't like.

This has gone way off track here….

Btw, this all stems from the alleged stolen idea (which by definition, can't be stolen) from GNS.  Something that Lyndhurst didn't create, some reason all the credits goes to him.  Now you are on about how good looking he is (weird), how nice his hair is (really weird) and his acting skills (still nothing to do with the movie Yesterday, both in plot or anything).

Perhaps you don't have a problem, just a massive crush.  If you really love Lyndhurst that much, you should propose to him.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But didn't the original idea for Rodney dressed as Robin come from DC Comics?
    Apparently Lyndhurst was due to star in Slumdog Millionaire but owing to scheduling conflicts was replaced at the last minute by Freida Pinto.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

1 - You have bias, both for Lyndhurst and both against Boyle and Curtis.  Evidently a massive hard on for Lyndhurst….are you both related?
    3 - You still haven't mentioned Jack Barth's name once, the guy credited for the idea of the movie"  Which shows you don't know him so you have no "dirt" on him therefore you are blaming other people associated with the movie that you don't like.

You made this a war Raymond when you said Lyndhurst was " arguably" a great actor.  Whenever there is a documentary on TV about the top 10 behemoths of the screen the list is always something like , Gielgud, Brando, Harris, De Niro, Burton, Reed, Lyndhurst, Adam Sandler. 
    Remember Raymond you started it mate.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019

You made this a war Raymond when you said Lyndhurst was " arguably" a great actor.  Whenever there is a documentary on TV about the top 10 behemoths of the screen the list is always something like , Gielgud, Brando, Harris, De Niro, Burton, Reed, Lyndhurst, Adam Sandler. 
    I could’ve said he is a shite actor.  Oooh did I hit a nerve?

ive only seen him in Only Fools and I like him in it, and called what I know.  You then went off on one massive love letter.  Now you are calling it a war.

really, if you want to marry the guy, do it, I will support you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I could’ve said he is a shite actor.  Oooh did I hit a nerve?
    Raymond I am already incandescent with rage, don't push me to my limit or I'll come round, eat a bag of chips and finger your lenses without washing my hands.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Well maybe you should marry Boyle and Richard Curtis and run off and open a BnB somewhere...
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited July 2019

.  Whenever there is a documentary on TV about the top 10 behemoths of the screen the list is always something like , Gielgud, Brando, Harris, De Niro, Burton, Reed, Lyndhurst, Adam Sandler. 
    I thought I put this theory to the test.

Here we go….

First we have

Top google result when you search for Top 10 actors of all time.

IMDB

1. Charles Chaplin. 
    2. Marlon Brando. 
    3. Jack Nicholson. 
    4. Daniel Day-Lewis.
    5. Meryl Streep. 
    6. Tom Hanks. 
    7. Mohanlal. . 
    8. Robert De Niro
    9. Al Pacino
    10. Kamal Haasan
    Then we have a site call Ranker lol

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-actors ;

Ranker

1. Tom Hanks
    2. Al Pacino
    3. Jack Nicholson. 
    4. Robert De Niro
    5. Marlon Brando
    6. Anthony Hopkins
    7. Morgan Freeman
    8. Leonardo DiCaprio
    9. Dustin Hoffman
    10. James Stewart

IMDB list from 2012

1. Jack Nicholson. 
    2. Marlon Brando. 
    3. Robert De Niro
    4. Al Pacino
    5. Daniel Day-Lewis.
    6. Dustin Hoffman
    7. Tom Hanks. 
    8. Anthony Hopkins
    9. Paul Newman
    10. Denzel Washington
    I even trying to help you by putting it in your favour by doing a search for best British Actors ONLY

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-british-actors-of-all-time ;
    1. Anthony Hopkins
    2. Alan Rickman
    3. Gary Oldman
    4. Ian McKellen
    5. Michael Caine
    6. Colin Firth
    7. Daniel Day Lewis
    8. Christopher Lee
    9. Ralph Fiennes
    10. Sean Connery
    Lyndhurst doesn't make it on the list, at all.  I mean Daniel Radcliffe beat him FFS.

Call it what you will….I've looked everywhere, Lyndhurst isn't on the top 10 best actors list anywhere…not even Top 100.

IMDB for best British Actors

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls024690134/

IMDB

1. Daniel Day Lewis 
    2. Anthony Hopkins
    3. Michael Caine
    4. Laurence Olivier
    5. Peter O'Toole
    6. Charles Chaplin
    7. Cary Grant
    8. Peter Sellers
    9. Alec Guiness
    10. Gary Oldman
    In 2015 Timeout did a top 50 British Actors.

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/50-great-british-actors-the-list

Again, No Lyndhurst.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-british-movies-actors-directors-10773813

Then The Daily Mirror did a similar thing in 2017

1. Michael Caine
    2. Anthony Hopkins
    3. Sean Connery
    4. Alan Rickman
    5. Sir Ian McKellen
    6. Dame Judi Dench
    7. Dame Maggie Smith
    8. Laurence Olivier
    9. Alec Guinness
    10. Helen Mirren

One last chance, I thought I would REALLY put it in your favour by searching

BEST BRITISH TV ACTORS OF ALL TIME

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls070196340/ ;

Nope….No Lyndhurst.

I can go on I think but I will stop here, I think 7 is enough, we don't need 8.

So, we can conclude the Lyndhurst is a bit crap, got beating by Daniel Radcliffe lol

No doubt you will scream bias and why I didn't search for best Actor in a leading role in Goodnight Sweetheart instead…

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Actually, found one more.

8th list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV's_50_Greatest_Stars

This one is amazing purely because No. 1 is David Jason…

Lyndhurst is…..I'll let you find out.

I started it, but i think I just finished it.