How Do You Find Good New Music?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
A good way I've found to find new artists is watching KEXP's extensive live session Youtube channel at random and find some great artists.

Also watch Jools Holland when it's on and sometimes find some good ones that way.

What ways do you have of finding good new music?

I'd imagine things like Spotify could be good too but I don't subscribe to that since I prefer local storage for music.

Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    Guess it depends what you're into? I find a lot of stuff on 6Music but I'm their target demographic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    drofluf said:
    Guess it depends what you're into? I find a lot of stuff on 6Music but I'm their target demographic
    I do listen to that sometimes, particularly late at night. Has some good stuff.

Was listening to it one night and it was some experimental electronic stuff and it's mostly pretty good but one specific track came on and I absolutely loved it (Dravier) so got the album and it turned out to be a real favourite of the year for me.

Doesn't seem to be very big cause when I went to link my mate to the track on the official youtube, it didn't have any plays yet so he was the first lol.

Good shout.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    You really need to try Spotify. You listen to an artist or genre "radio" and find good things. It will not all be as consistently good as KEXP but you'll find other stuff you'd miss and you can listen to an album for a while before you commit to buying. 
    The other benefit is the sheer volume of stuff on there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Check the Metacritic lists. They collate pretty much every album release each week and rate them.based on the reviews. 

Ratings aside, it's a fantastic resource to see who has released what. 

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/new-releases/date
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15541
    for folky stuff I listen to the Mike Harding podcast and the James Fagan Thank Goodness it's Folk show. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7883
    I listen to Radio 6. Especially Marc Riley, all new music, and fantastic stuff. Found some awesome bands that way. 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited July 2019
    I use Spotify-
    "Artist Radio"- for something similar to a specific artist. 
    "Daily Mix"- for things similar to what I've been listening to generally. 
    "New Punk/Rock/Metal/Folk (Delete as appropriate) Tracks"- for new music in whatever genre I fancy exploring. 

I'm pretty sure all these work on a free account, you just have the occasional advert to sit through. 
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179

I still enjoy certain record labels as gatekeepers for music as well as wandering around my local record store Resident Records in Brighton, when streaming/youtube etc  gets a bit overwhelming, it's great to find an Ambient (in my case) label to help focus things a bit.

Also Music-Map is good for finding similar artists to the ones you already enjoy.

https://www.music-map.com/

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

I still enjoy certain record labels as gatekeepers for music as well as wandering around my local record store Resident Records in Brighton, when streaming/youtube etc  gets a bit overwhelming, it's great to find an Ambient (in my case) label to help focus things a bit.

Also Music-Map is good for finding similar artists to the ones you already enjoy.

https://www.music-map.com/

That's another good shout actually, ever since I realised online would take over (though at the time I thought it would be downloads rather than streaming) I thought record labels would turn into more like curators or a stamp of quality for a certain style.

There definitely used to be specific labels that I'd buy CDs from before there was any way to hear a new artist first so that's something I should look back in to.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    1) Spotify -- as has been said.  It's a game changer and I doubt you'd regret signing up.
    2) An internet radio station or two with the same basic tastes. I found one (Spoon) which does Rock and Alt.Indie perfectly with a mixture of old and new stuff, and a psy chill station (Schizoid) which is always finding interesting stuff.
    3) Labels -- I do that too (e.g. Cosmicleaf)
    4) The YouTube rabbit hole

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited July 2019
    I used to listen to different radio stations here: https://live365.com/

you can pick the genre you want to listen too, there are lots of different stations.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    I think I'm probably in the car on this, some Spotify, Later with Jools, Magazines.

I would have screamed 6 Music from the top of my lungs, but for me at least it's become "1 Extra Extra" recently and I struggle to listen to a lot of what the play.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    I tend to look at suggestions from Google Music which we have a family sub of and there's a few music blogs I read.

The irony is that I discover a band I really love via Google Music I'll often buy physical copies of their music rather than stream them. 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12908
    Pretty much all of the above-

6music
    I'm a "member" of a record label so I get everything they release. Good way to find new, relatively local stuff. 
    Good quality journalism - The Wire, for instance 
    Word of Mouth from likeminded friends
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    drofluf said:
    Ditto, and Jools (usually with finger poised over FFWD)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    Word of mouth. Facebook is good too. 
    I do have spotify now but it is incredibly patchy. 
    Band camp is good.
    I get a lot of new stuff sent via haulix.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22959

Spotify for me. 

I do pay the monthly fee but as far as I can remember most of the functionality is there in the free version, you just have to put up with occasional adverts.

YouTube's good as well, if you can find channels which match your musical tastes (e.g. Stoned Meadow of Doom in my case).  But I still think of YT as somewhere to watch things rather than listen to them.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    For a couple of years myself and friend ran a music blog. We got sent lots of music by lables - and because of the ever expanding web of suggestions based on having this music in my library it's kept me going for years. We haven't run the blog for five years but the effects in my own streaming library continue as it helped open me to so much new music. Some of my favourite in my life is stuff released in the last few years. 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    www.music-map.com
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 643