Lowering the action Martin?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    ^with due respect to everyone that is probably the best piece of advice in this thread, reversible and will help to diagnose what the problem is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7423
    Nope : Relief -> Nut -> Saddle 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ill get the tools out and report back lol! Im not a stickler for numbers when i set up my electrics ill use the manufacturers guidelines but after that its all personal ill play it and set it where i like it best  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    TimmyO said:
    Sorry, my mistake. Drugged on flu medication has addled my brain. Thanks for the correction  =)
  • TimmyO said:

Yes... this.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Ill get the tools out and report back lol! Im not a stickler for numbers when i set up my electrics ill use the manufacturers guidelines but after that its all personal ill play it and set it where i like it best  
    I'd forget about manufacturers guidelines - which are usually based on average to heavier playing styles. If you've never set up an acoustic guitar before then I would recommend taking it to an experience technician, discussing stuff with him like your playing style, string and tuning choice - and asking him to explain what he'll do and why.

Setting up a guitar isn't difficult, but it is a patient balancing act in which experience helps a lot.

If you want to try your own set ups then I'd recommend picking up a real cheap guitar to practice on rather than starting with a Martin OM28
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
    I presume it’s not an OM28V as they have an elongated glued-in saddle, so you can’t remove the saddle and sand its bottom! Not sure how one would lower the action on one of those if neck relief and nut tweaking weren’t enough, without major surgery.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    I presume it’s not an OM28V as they have an elongated glued-in saddle, so you can’t remove the saddle and sand its bottom! Not sure how one would lower the action on one of those if neck relief and nut tweaking weren’t enough, without major surgery.
    It’s pretty straightforward - you remove the material from the top instead of the bottom.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Yeh i see the confusion in how i wrote that. Its 1mm at the 10th when i fret first n last fret the relief if fine. The action seems high to me its around 5mm at the 12th fret without fretting anywhere (eyeballing it only) havent got access to my tools now
    I’d test the relief between the 1st and 14th on an acoustic. Unless it’s a 12 fret... not first and last. Just find the highest area between those two frets. If it’s 1mm, then that’s a huge relief and you’ll get a much nicer action once set correctly. 

If if you do the above and then what ToneControl has suggested, you’ll know more and be able to get some advice. 

Id get something like this to get you measurements though 
    https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/tools/investigating_and_measuring/string_action_gauge_inches.htm
    Loads of cheaper options to this, but you’d need to look into it. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14442
    Martin’s recommended action above the twelfth fret is higher than some others - possibly to cover their arses against fret rattles. 

As a rule, Martin guitars give of their best when played hard. i.e. Considerably more effort than required for electric guitar with light gauge strings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Martin’s recommended action above the twelfth fret is higher than some others - possibly to cover their arses against fret rattles. 

As a rule, Martin guitars give of their best when played hard. i.e. Considerably more effort than required for electric guitar with light gauge strings.

What is Martin's recommended action at 12th fret? I've not come across it.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    edited August 2019

They have a tolerance range of 3/32” to 7/64” low e and 2/32” to 5/64” high e.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Lewy said:

They have a tolerance range of 3/32” to 7/64” low e and 2/32” to 5/64” high e.

OK thanks