Silent practice that doesn't sound terrible?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    You could pickup an old Line6 Pod for peanuts and invest in decent headphones (Superlux from Thomann is my suggestion) and you are there.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Get this, it will be the best for you...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palmer-PEPAMP-Guitar-Amplifier-MK2/dp/B010AGAHAG

Four knobs and three slide switches. It's as good as the Tech 21 Sansamp for a lot less than half the price,
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    edited August 2019
    drdave said:
    Play unplugged. Guitars can sound sweet even without tapping into the pickups, especially if you're just practicising scales. Sometimes amps and pedals can conceal flaws in my playing, and I know if I can play it well unplugged it sounds even better plugged in.
    Normally playing louder through an amp will reveal flaws because they’ll amplify them and the gain will make things sound sloppy if you’re not playing clean.

Often we have to adjust our playing when we play through an amp because of this, which is why it’s generally important to do so. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited August 2019
    Helix Stomp...end of search. Not just passable but professional through headphones (the tones, not my playing sadly). A lot better than the THR10 (which I used to own but could never get sounding as good as the YouTube demos). The best £400-500 I’ve ever spent in guitar gear.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    The Blackstar HT-1R head is actually reasonably good through headphones, and is about as simple to use as you can imagine - just four knobs and one switch.

Some people will no doubt laugh at me saying that given that I don't like most Blackstars, but actually the HT-1 is my favourite of them. (Although I haven't tried the latest ranges.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Original Zoom G3. Very nice headphone output. Looper. Drum patterns. Great for silent practice.
    But unfortunately he can't see the displays, so needs something that can work for him by touch. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291
    nice thanks guys. Would prefer not to acquire another amp entirely as I already have a 1x12 cab for my current heads. Does the THR100 head have the headphone out also and is it as good? if so it can pull double duty.
    Yes it does. And line out for recording. 
  • or buy her a drum kit...
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • drdavedrdave Frets: 13
    edited August 2019
    drdave said:
    Play unplugged. Guitars can sound sweet even without tapping into the pickups, especially if you're just practicising scales. Sometimes amps and pedals can conceal flaws in my playing, and I know if I can play it well unplugged it sounds even better plugged in.
    Normally playing louder through an amp will reveal flaws because they’ll amplify them and the gain will make things sound sloppy if you’re not playing clean.

Often we have to adjust our playing when we play through an amp because of this, which is why it’s generally important to do so. 
    Different horses for different courses. My hearings good enough that I can spot issues with my playing unplugged. One song I was trying to play recently sounded fine through my tube amp, it was only when I had a phone recording next to my guitar that I could hear that I was attacking the strings too aggressively at times. I would have spotted that earlier if I had never been playing through the amp.

I've seen plenty of shredders who thought they were amazing as they played with lots of gain and distortion, but their limitations were much more evident if you asked them to play unplugged.

I think both is important, to be able to play unplugged and into an amp. And again, just for playing scales, I don't feel the absolute need to be plugged in all the time.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 639
    I have been looking for a semi-hollow, with the thought that it might produce a louder and more pleasing unplugged tone than my solid-body, and could still be plugged into the amp when conditions permitted. So far, I have yet to find a semi that met the criteria, but I will keep trying.
  • Voxman said:
    Original Zoom G3. Very nice headphone output. Looper. Drum patterns. Great for silent practice.
    But unfortunately he can't see the displays, so needs something that can work for him by touch. 
    Ah apologies to all, I should have read the OP a little better.