Formatting disk drive urgent query

rlwrlw Frets: 4699
I have a new pc with two hard drives.  One is big, one is not.
I’m using zinstall to copy everything to my new pc and the issue of disk size has come up a bit too late.
Can I format both drives and still retain my windows 10 is?
i should know but now have doubts
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Hmm, it sounds like a partition where they keep the windows files. Most computers come with it built in rather than on a DVD or CD or something.

If you have Windows 10 on a disk or external hard drive you can install from that and wipe everything. Otherwise you will wipe your windows install files..

I think.. Its all changed a bit since I last looked at this kind of stuff.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24330
    Windows key, type DISKPART then when you get the "DISKPART>" prompt, type LIST, then post the results here.

That said, I'm 99% sure that one of your disks will contain your Windows installation and formatting both will trash it.  Sounds like you have a SSD for the Windows files (the smaller disk) and a regular HDD for storage.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I'm guessing the new PC has a smallish SSD for the OS and a large mechanical drive for data. Zinstall want's to transfer your old c: disk image to the new C: drive but new one is too small

Formatting won't make the disk any bigger ..... better off starting again OS load wise
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    I needed to format the drive as it was half full and unresponsive.  I cannot see the other drive which is very annoying.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    I do have an sad and a mechanical drive but cannot see the latter , nor could I choose to make zinstall copy to that drive, so I’m not confine it really is there.