Baby Animals Documentary

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited August 2019 in Music
I watched this on the weekend, and thought some of the guitar players on here might appreciate the insight.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited August 2019
    Great band- I learned to play guitar along to those first two BA albums.
    Shaved and Dangerous is an fantastic album, and I still listen to it all the time.

One of the best gigs I saw in the 90's was a secret gig at the Landsdowne Hotel in Sydney for the release of that album.
    Dave was still playing his Musicman EVH's in those days and he shredded the ass off them into a pair of JCM800's- I think he moved to Grubisa guitars not long after that.
    One of the loudest gigs of my life- my ears rang for days.

Thanks for posting the documentary- I didn't know they made it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:

Thanks for posting the documentary- I didn't know they made it.
    It looks self-produced, so it's more about their musical careers and the record business, with some 25th anniversary concert footage slotted in. The bloke who posted it may even be their bass player?

Update: Eddie (uploader) says he is not the owner of the video.
    edited August 2019
    Sorry if the last bit is confusing, but it doesn't detract from the video  :)
    Looks like the documentary was done by Channel 9 in Australia- they are a broadcaster.
    The 'Eddie' who uploaded is Eddie Parise, the bassist in the band.
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    Looks like the documentary was done by Channel 9 in Australia- they are a broadcaster.
    The 'Eddie' who uploaded is Eddie Parise, the bassist in the band.
    Ok cheers, but he's also posting under his real name in the comments section.

So this would be him then?

Yeah that is Eddie.

Eddie and Frank (drummer) ended up playing with Robert Plant for a few years.
    Monster rhythm section.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    I saw them at the Marquee in the early '90s.  Really great gig, but quite a weird experience because most of the audience were Australians.
    edited August 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    I saw them at the Marquee in the early '90s.  Really great gig, but quite a weird experience because most of the audience were Australians.
    Don't go to the Oz Bars in Earls Court then, they are full of Aussies (or used to be)  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    Freebird said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Don't go to the Oz Bars in Earls Court then, they are full of Aussies (or used to be)  

It's unlikely that I will.

(Not that I'm objecting to Aussies, it was just unusual to find so many gathered in one place.  Outside Australia.  And cricket grounds.)

edited August 2019
    Philly_Q said:

(Not that I'm objecting to Aussies, it was just unusual to find so many gathered in one place.  Outside Australia.  And cricket grounds.)

They are a weird lot, they travel halfway around the world to hang out with each other  They are quite organised in London though, and they have even their own What's On magazines and stuff. I suppose pubs are the first port of call when you are new in town and looking for a job, and a place to stay.

I'm totally the opposite and I like to go native when I am abroad, which can be as simple as taking a left turn instead of a right turn. It always pays to know where the people you want to avoid are located!
    Freebird said:
    Philly_Q said:

They are a weird lot, they travel halfway around the world to hang out with each other  They are quite organised in London though, and they have even their own What's On magazines and stuff. I suppose pubs are the first port of call when you are new in town and looking for a job, and a place to stay.

I'm totally the opposite and I like to go native when I am abroad, which can be as simple as taking a left turn instead of a right turn. It always pays to know where the people you want to avoid are located!
    Not everyone does this- I agree it is weird.
    Most of those Australians end up moving back in a few years.
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:

Yep, it's mostly people on a young persons working visa. However, the absolute worst place to meet Aussies abroad is in Bali when they are on one of their rites of passage holidays. Seen loads of scraps there and the locals always win. I've got nothing against Aussies, and had loads of mates over the years, but even they say it can get a bit out of hand there. Talk about a clash of cultures, eh?

BTW are you from Oz?
    edited August 2019
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:

Yep, it's mostly people on a young persons working visa. However, the absolute worst place to meet Aussies abroad is in Bali when they are on one of their rites of passage holidays. Seen loads of scraps there and the locals always win. I've got nothing against Aussies, and had loads of mates over the years, but even they say it can get a bit out of hand there. Talk about a clash of cultures, eh?

BTW are you from Oz?
    I am, but I've lived out of Australia for over 20 years- have dual citizenship.
    When I go back to Australia it feels like a foreign country, but the UK feels like home.
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    I am, but I've lived out of Australia for over 20 years- have dual citizenship.

When I go back to Australia it feels like a foreign country, but the UK feels like home.
    What's the current state of the music scene like now in Oz? There used to be loads of good bands from there at one stage, but I haven't heard of any decent bands for quite a while. I suppose a lot of it came off the success of AC/DC?
    Freebird said:
    What's the music scene like in Oznow? There used to be loads of good bands from there at one stage, but I haven't heard of any decent bands for quite a while. I suppose a lot of it came off the success of AC/DC?  
    I really wouldn't know- I left 20 years ago and only go back every few years.
    The last new Aussie band I heard of were Karnivool.
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    What's the music scene like in Oz now? There used to be loads of good bands from there at one stage, but I haven't heard of any decent bands for quite a while. I suppose a lot of it came off the success of AC/DC?  
    All I can come up with is Courtney Barnett & Iggy Azalea!
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    What's the music scene like in Oz now? There used to be loads of good bands from there at one stage, but I haven't heard of any decent bands for quite a while. I suppose a lot of it came off the success of AC/DC?  
    Can you get a topical cream for that?
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    It sounds like it   

So have you watched the docco yet? I thought it was a good insight into the music business and we'll worth a watch. It seems to be a repeating theme with tales of money problems and unsupportive record companies. Everything is great when the record sales are high, but it doesn't take long for reality to strike.
  • Great band that somehow I managed to miss in the past. Thanks for posting.

It's not a competition.
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    It sounds like it   

So have you watched the docco yet? I thought it was a good insight into the music business and we'll worth a watch. It seems to be a repeating theme with tales of money problems and unsupportive record companies. Everything is great when the record sales are high, but it doesn't take long for reality to strike.
    Yes watched it beginning to end.
    My take is the real reason the band imploded was she married Nuno and got swept up in life in the US and the band was not rich or successful enough for members to be able to fly all over the planet.
    If Suze had stayed in Australia (or the entire band moved to the same country) and they made a 3rd album then I reckon they'd have stayed together.

I don't agree with the notion that the first album was the best and the second wasn't good enough.
    It wasn't promoted properly by a record company that wanted a pop record.
    IMHO Shaved and Dangerous is a far better album with better songs.
    The first album is more commercial, sure- and had more impact, but the playing on S&D is just on another level.

Check these out:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom