Fattest necked Junior on a budget?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534

PRS SE One? I believe it's got their "Wide Fat" neck on it. 
    It's like a modern LP Jr with impeccable build quality. You may wish to add a tone control, but that's simple enough to do. 

https://theguitarnook.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180410_125258.jpg
    Yes I’ve been keeping an eye out for a PRS One korina or TV Yellow but they are like rocking horse poo! Also a bit above my present budget. Thank you for the idea though.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    edited September 2019
    @Teyeplayer this sounds like an interesting project to do. Any tips on where I could start regarding kits or bodies etc?
    @GSPBASSES is your man for a body and neck. I’m sure I also recently read a post by @Danielsguitars  suggesting he’d be making kits to soon.

Either way, get a kit from one of the reputable guys off here and then spec as you desire.

I finished mine in tru oil, did the whole walnut stain, tru oil and satin sheen finish. It’s come up real well. Pickguard is genuine celluloid from @IvisonGuitars  who’s an absolute gent to deal with, @Alegree pickup, cts vintage taper pots from @gavin_axecaster, kluson tuners and faber bridge to finish -oh, and a gator hardcase. Needs a better set up than I can do, but I know when it’s done it’ll be a blinder.

Here’s a link to the finished guitar:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/157224850@N02/8Jq88H

Apologies op for hijacking your thread, I’ll get back in my box now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Teyeplayer this sounds like an interesting project to do. Any tips on where I could start regarding kits or bodies etc?
    @GSPBASSES is your man for a body and neck. I’m sure I also recently read a post by @Danielsguitars  suggesting he’d be making kits to soon.

Either way, get a kit from one of the reputable guys off here and then spec as you desire.

I finished mine in tru oil, did the whole walnut stain, tru oil and satin sheen finish. It’s come up real well. Pickguard is genuine celluloid from @IvisonGuitars  who’s an absolute gent to deal with, @Alegree pickup, cts vintage taper pots from @gavin_axecaster, kluson tuners and faber bridge to finish -oh, and a gator hardcase. Needs a better set up than I can do, but I know when it’s done it’ll be a blinder.

Here’s a link to the finished guitar:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/157224850@N02/8Jq88H

Apologies op for hijacking your thread, I’ll get back in my box now.
    Not hijacking at all as I’m very interested in possibly building a junior from scratch, then at least I’m getting the very best parts I can afford instead of buying a whole guitar and having to swap out all the parts and having them laying around languishing! You’ve planted a seed in my head and I’ve even seen the correct TV yellow I want in a rattle can hmm what to do?!
    @Teyeplayer does @GSPBASSES have his own website or do I contact him on here for availability and prices? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
  • zepp76 said:
    @Teyeplayer does @GSPBASSES have his own website or do I contact him on here for availability and prices? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Message through here or do a wtb thread and see if anyone already has a kit that they haven’t started that they would be happy to let go of. Think there may be a few about.
    zepp76 said:
    Message through here or do a wtb thread and see if anyone already has a kit that they haven’t started that they would be happy to let go of. Think there may be a few about.
    Ok, cool. Thank you for the quick reply.
  • zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Ok, cool. Thank you for the quick reply.
    I believe @Fifty9 had one that hadn’t yet been assembled earlier in the year -might still have it.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Hey chaps, I do still have it & not got round to doing anything with it as yet. Happy to let it go to someone who is keen to do he project. These really are a fantastic base for a top quality jnr dc
    Fifty9 said:
    Hey chaps, I do still have it & not got round to doing anything with it as yet. Happy to let it go to someone who is keen to do he project. These really are a fantastic base for a top quality jnr dc
    Thank you for taking the time to reply but I’m afraid I’m only after an SC Junior not DC. 
  • @Teyeplayer how much would all of that set you back? Might be something to tip
    away on over time ...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    edited September 2019
    @Teyeplayer how much would all of that set you back? Might be something to tip
    away on over time ...
    Tbh mate it’s the same as any parts build, but more than you’d expect!  
    I’d say it was about £650ish and then the case on top. There are probably a few smaller hidden costs (tru oil, sand paper, etc) that take that up to closer to 700, but I’m ignoring those and not telling the wife!! 
  • Just to pointlessly throw something into the pot Slick guitars do a double cut Jr which is relatively low cost. Only review I could find says it doesn't have a fat neck. Also no UK distribution so get in quick before Brexit...but the Slick guitars do seem to be good VFM. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • zepp76 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Afraid I haven't tried any of these guitars and I don't know the specs. 

As a general observation, it seems to me that budget guitar brands tend to use fairly slim necks on most models because that's what most people prefer - or don't care about one way or another.  Relatively few people want a very fat (or very thin) neck so it's not very cost-effective to cater to those extreme ends of the market.

Try before you buy, if you can... or take advantage of dealers' return policies!

(For what it's worth, I'm with you, I much prefer guitars with bigger necks.)
    @Philly_Q it does seem to be that way, I’ve just done a virtual build on the Gordon Smith site and it comes out at £870! I nearly bought one a couple of months ago but I got hit with a nasty council tax bill so that was the end of that! I do have some top spec air rifles and metal detecting gear I could sell but I’m loathe to do so.
    How thick are the GS necks ? There’s one on sale 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22848
    zepp76 said:
    Philly_Q said:

As a general observation, it seems to me that budget guitar brands tend to use fairly slim necks on most models because that's what most people prefer - or don't care about one way or another.  Relatively few people want a very fat (or very thin) neck so it's not very cost-effective to cater to those extreme ends of the market.

Try before you buy, if you can... or take advantage of dealers' return policies!

@Philly_Q it does seem to be that way, I’ve just done a virtual build on the Gordon Smith site and it comes out at £870! I nearly bought one a couple of months ago but I got hit with a nasty council tax bill so that was the end of that! I do have some top spec air rifles and metal detecting gear I could sell but I’m loathe to do so.
    They offer a "thin" profile (19mm at 1st fret, 21mm at 12th) and a "thick" one (22/24).  I'd prefer 23/25 but I could just about live with the thick profile.
  • Philly_Q said:
    zepp76 said:
    Philly_Q said:

They offer a "thin" profile (19mm at 1st fret, 21mm at 12th) and a "thick" one (22/24).  I'd prefer 23/25 but I could just about live with the thick profile.
    Tempted by this but used to Jazzmaster necks so...

https://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/shop/stock-guitars/gs1-60-heritage-vintage-white/
  • Would anyone know of options for bolt on neck on a junior style guitar but with a bridge P90. I suppose similar to the current Epiphone LP Junior, but a bit higher quality. Would a kit achieve this? If so, are there bodies out there where necks can be fitted like fender strats, teles etc. 
  • I noticed that Gordon Smith offer neck width options so maybe a pre owned GS1 could be a good call.
  • Would anyone know of options for bolt on neck on a junior style guitar but with a bridge P90. I suppose similar to the current Epiphone LP Junior, but a bit higher quality. Would a kit achieve this? If so, are there bodies out there where necks can be fitted like fender strats, teles etc. 
    I'd buy the Epi' and mod the crap out of it, pretty sure they'd do a better job of matching a body to a neck than me!
  • @zepp76 Here´s another option which may grab your interest. A Tokai SG Junior - https://www.fanaticguitars.com/en/product/tokai-sg-junior-cherry/

Chinese made, so not sure how good these are. Maybe not much of a muchness between these and the Custom 77 or Vintage brand ones?