Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson tomfoolery continues

What's Hot
Picture the scene: JC in the boardroom at Gibson.
"Boys, I wanna talk to you all today about case candy as I wanna up our game. I've decided we're gonna put a registration document, a Gibson handbook, a cleaning cloth and a photograph of the guitar next to a computer in a funky branded plastic bag in every guitar case. Plus this..." JC holds up a newly made Gibson branded multi-tool.
It's a fine thing. Countless screwdrivers and hex wrenches and most importantly an in-built Gibson truss rod spanner. "They sure are gonna love us for this" says JC to enthusiastic applause.

Somewhere in the UK a guitar player takes delivery of a brand new TV yellow Les Paul Special. He'd given up on Gibson a while ago but hearing that they were now producing guitars that people actually want gave them another chance. Yes! They'd done it - it was all there. Audio taper pots, the whole bit. 
Our man, being a player of some experience notices that the guitar needs a little adjustment and notices that he has a new Gibson multi-tool in the case. He is overjoyed with quality of this thing and that it has a built-n truss rod spanner. No more rooting around for that funny looking little spanner he's always used as this is now built in with everything else. He removes the truss rod cover and unfolds the spanner from the multi-tool and.....it doesn't fit. The built in spanner on the multi-tool doesn't fit. 

Meanwhile in the Gibson boardroom JC is sitting on pallet load of Gibson multi-tools addressing his staff:
"Boys, I think it's time we changed the size of the brass nut on our truss rods...."
21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11902
    Somewhere Paul Reed Smith goes "its in tune and ready to be gigged out of the box"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    that's just a little quirk, Gibson are famous for them, quirks, foibles and idiosyncracies, it's why we all love them, just enjoy it!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    I gave you a LOL but it could be a wow

I've seen the 'Leatherman' style tool kit but never used it - Just use appropriate tools that have sat on my bench for ages - So you assume that the tool's supplied fit - Wow - How hard is it to get it right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Think yourself lucky, my old boss used to take everything out of the cases and sell them separately, cleaning kit, cable, everything.  
    Usually to the person buying the guitar it should have come free with anyway, sometimes he would ‘discount’ the case candy to help seal a deal. 

Pre internet awareness in the general population was the reason many music shops stayed open. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Out of interest, what size is the socket on the multi tool? Gibson use a 5/16" IIRC.

Possibly made in China and the so called  metric equivalent = 8mm which I have found don't fit Gibson truss rod nuts either?
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Are you sure? The multi tool wrench fit the truss rod on my 2019 Firebird.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    Built in multi-tool?
  • JC is a built in multi-tool
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11858
    Pre internet awareness in the general population was the reason many music shops stayed open.

I can't click wisdom twice, or I would.

OT - This Gibson story is ridiculous, I assume they purchased a branded version of an existing product en-masse without checking suitability first.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846

OT - This Gibson story is ridiculous, I assume they purchased a branded version of an existing product en-masse without checking suitability first.
    I think we should be sure the tools definitely don’t fit before drawing that conclusion. As I said, the multi tool that came with my Firebird this year worked for both the Firebird and an ES-335. 

Im more concerned about the variably out of whack string alignment on various SG models (sideways vibrios in particular). As shown on various online shopfront photos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11858
    TINMAN82 said:

I think we should be sure the tools definitely don’t fit before drawing that conclusion. As I said, the multi tool that came with my Firebird this year worked for both the Firebird and an ES-335. 

Im more concerned about the variably out of whack string alignment on various SG models (sideways vibrios in particular). As shown on various online shopfront photos.
    Well that's fair enough - my comment is based on the principle the story is true, of course it may not be.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2331
    Think yourself lucky, my old boss used to take everything out of the cases and sell them separately, cleaning kit, cable, everything.  
    Usually to the person buying the guitar it should have come free with anyway, sometimes he would ‘discount’ the case candy to help seal a deal. 

Or just the death of the 'typical dodgy salesman' means people aren't ripped off to give someone else an income for doing relatively little? ahahahha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I like the Cruz multi-tool . Not sure if the Gibson one is any different

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Those multi-tools are too finnicky for me. Too risky to scratch the top when working on the bridge, and too much olympic skill to use one to turn a truss rod anyway.

But there again I am left handed, so...

Bye!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    Just had a set-up to do for a customer and the Gibson multi tool kit was in the case, so I tried it and it fits - However I would add that it did not sit as tight on the nut as I'd like - Compared to my old tool and this might cause a worn patch around the hexagnol nut over the years if not used carefully
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Multi tools are usually crap anyway and fiddly to use. Why have a dozen tools you don't use rather than 2 you do?
    It's just annoying that you're paying for something you didn't ask for and will never use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Multi tools are usually crap anyway and fiddly to use. Why have a dozen tools you don't use rather than 2 you do?
    It's just annoying that you're paying for something you didn't ask for and will never use.
    I totally agree with you. Multi tools are nearly always crap, even the reasonably good ones are unwieldy to use.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Have had those tools with various guitars over the years - SG special, Les Paul Tribute and Les Paul Faded and they definitely always fit. I've also used the same tool to adjust the truss rod on my R8. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23043
    Sassafras said:
    I totally agree with you. Multi tools are nearly always crap, even the reasonably good ones are unwieldy to use.
    They're not meant to be a substitute for all individual tools.  They're just handy to have around if you can't immediately find the right sized screwdriver or allen key.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom