Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2019 Studio Build - Back to the UK.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Happy to oblige.
    Here is a photo of it how it was in Singapore:

It is a bit of a revolving door of gear, the BM6a's are gone now, I have ATC's and Kii's for monitoring.
    I'm waiting for Apple to release the new Mac Pro to replace the iMac 5k and 2018 Mac mini I am currently using.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One day, one day :-)

Will there be a home for your tube amp in the new studio or is the plan all digital for guitar sounds?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One day, one day :-)

Will there be a home for your tube amp in the new studio or is the plan all digital for guitar sounds?
    I have a fair few valve amps.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Is that a 24 or 27" imac screen? Looks small in your setup.. 
    27”.
    edited October 2019
    Update.
    I've moved things into the places they need to be.
    Nothing is cables yet- that is about 2 weeks of work.

2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4102
    I'm not convinced you actually need quite so much outboard gear.  Are they mainly for decorative purposes?  
    edited October 2019
    I'm not convinced you actually need quite so much outboard gear.  Are they mainly for decorative purposes?  
    Are you kidding?
    I've grown the outboard over time because although plugins are good they don't always nail the sonics of what they are emulating and I simply prefer working with hardware.
    It all gets used- nothing is decorative. 
    I'd sell it if it was.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    You've mentioned that this kit is all for your work. Serious question: do you monitor how much it adds to your electricity bill and can you then claim that against taxes as a business expense?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    octatonic said:

Isn't that the panel that NASA used in Houston during the moon landings?

I mainly use forums for living vicariously through other people, and this thread is ticking all the boxes very nicely! So keep those pictures coming!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    octatonic said:
    Happy to oblige.

It is a bit of a revolving door of gear, the BM6a's are gone now, I have ATC's and Kii's for monitoring.
    I'm waiting for Apple to release the new Mac Pro to replace the iMac 5k and 2018 Mac mini I am currently using.
    I think I could build that sort of setup once. I think I could even tear it down to move. Once.

But this new studio will be about the 3rd time for you, IIRC?

You crazy.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Installed my new monitors today.
    They are unable to be lifted into place by one person, so it took a long time to measure the best place for them.

That looks like something designed to destroy planets with sonic waves.
    Yeah it does that too. :)
    Best speakers I heard were ATC SCM50A's in a studio control room. Would like a pair of active ATCs for home listening one day :-) the midrange is palpable
    goldtop said:
    octatonic said:
    Happy to oblige.

I think I could build that sort of setup once. I think I could even tear it down to move. Once.

But this new studio will be about the 3rd time for you, IIRC?

You crazy.
    This is the 7th international move I've done, but a few other moves locally- I think this is the 11th or 12th time I've packed up and moved a studio.
    You've mentioned that this kit is all for your work. Serious question: do you monitor how much it adds to your electricity bill and can you then claim that against taxes as a business expense?
    We do claim something for it- I can't remember what.
    It isn't much.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    BigMonka said:
    octatonic said:

I mainly use forums for living vicariously through other people, and this thread is ticking all the boxes very nicely! So keep those pictures coming!
    I'm fairly sure the three sliders on the left near the orange buttons are the ones he used to destroy Alderaan.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    BigMonka said:
    octatonic said:

I'm fairly sure the three sliders on the left near the orange buttons are the ones he used to destroy Alderaan.
    LOL.
    You guys...

Normally the modular gets 'is that the machine that goes ping'?

• I was trying to work out what the waveform being displayed ont he screen int he top right was...then i realised it wasnt actualyl a screen :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Branshen said:
    Will be following closely! Do post some photos showing the hardware routing via patchbays if you can! Interested in how you keep all your hardware routing organised. 
    Seconded. Great thread and I'd love to know more about the routing. At the moment I integrate some (limited) outboard but I'm sure I could be doing it better...
    kjdowd said:
    Branshen said:
    Will be following closely! Do post some photos showing the hardware routing via patchbays if you can! Interested in how you keep all your hardware routing organised. 
    Seconded. Great thread and I'd love to know more about the routing. At the moment I integrate some (limited) outboard but I'm sure I could be doing it better...
    I will be back in the UK in a couple of days so will be starting that then.

Routing is essentially doubled up, I can route digitally or via analogue patchbays.
    Analogue means I have to physically patch between an output and an input, it has no latency but requires cables.
    Digital does introduce some latency, about 0.25ms per hop via Dante, if there is no AD/DA conversion.

I'm using 96 channels of IO into the computer, 48 ins and 48 outs, they are all used, extra devices get patched via analogue as required.
    It is all on Audio Accessories bantam 96 way patchbays with DB25 connectors, I have 4 of these, more than I currently need but with room to grow.

I don't know anyone else who does this sort of analogue patchbay & Dante arrangement.
    I can't be the only one doing it but the reading behind doubling it up is I use a lot of digital and analogue gear.
    I can take any computer output and use it with the now moderately massive Eurorack modular synthesiser system.
    If I wanted to I could use 48 channels of outputs purely for modulation sources for the Modular, or as IO channels for parallel processing, or anything else.
    It is a very flexible system, especially compared to my last studio, which was all digital.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:
    Branshen said:
    I will be back in the UK in a couple of days so will be starting that then.

Routing is essentially doubled up, I can route digitally or via analogue patchbays.
    Analogue means I have to physically patch between an output and an input, it has no latency but requires cables.
    Digital does introduce some latency, about 0.25ms per hop via Dante, if there is no AD/DA conversion.

I'm using 96 channels of IO into the computer, 48 ins and 48 outs, they are all used, extra devices get patched via analogue as required.
    It is all on Audio Accessories bantam 96 way patchbays with DB25 connectors, I have 4 of these, more than I currently need but with room to grow.

I don't know anyone else who does this sort of analogue patchbay & Dante arrangement.
    I can't be the only one doing it but the reading behind doubling it up is I use a lot of digital and analogue gear.
    I can take any computer output and use it with the now moderately massive Eurorack modular synthesiser system.
    If I wanted to I could use 48 channels of outputs purely for modulation sources for the Modular, or as IO channels for parallel processing, or anything else.
    It is a very flexible system, especially compared to my last studio, which was all digital.
    At the moment I'm integrating some outboard processing by routing via a digital mixer (QSC TouchMix30). It seems effective, and latency is manageable with the Logic I/O plugin but it doesn't instinctively feel like the most effective way, and I worry a little about the amount of AD/DA conversion (purely in terms of sound quality)