Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What record do you come back to years later and realise it had a big effect on you?

What's Hot
I keep coming back to Cheap Trick ," Live at Budokan" 1978.
I have been listening to it yet again this week...
Originally got this out of the library ( i think 50p per week)
It was on Yellow Vinyl.
It gave some good lessons in how to put a "show" together with a large dollop of cheese rather than just play songs.
Also features a cover version played by a band you wouldn't have expected to play it.
Anyone else care to share?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    I remember in my formative years around 14 when I asked a friends mum what the tape she was playing in the car was, it was the byrds, I got a copy of the greatest hits and have loved them ever since.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I thought long and hard before spending two months record money on Bruce Springsteen Live 75-85 when I was 17. I recorded it all to tape and played it in the car all summer after passing my driving test. 

Still has a huge impact on me to this day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Live After Death Iron Maiden!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited November 2019
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Django Reinhardt - ..... and The Quintet Of The Hot Club Of France

These are what got me into jazz - think I started at the pinnacle !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Yessongs. And it still does  ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Red by King Crimson.
    It changed my life more than anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited November 2019
    Superunknown, Soundgarden. It would impact me in terms of how song is written, tunings, keeping things interesting etc.
    I recently revisited Live After Death after I reckon at least 20 odd years of not listening it, and it's bloody brilliant. Yeah, it has it's fair share of cheese with the call and response thing with the crowd, but it's all part of it, and is of the time too. Maiden, I skipped over to be honest, and only just dived into their albums properly.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    octatonic said:
    Red by King Crimson.
    It changed my life more than anything else.
    KC for me too, but their debut album. I mostly listen to their live recordings and had almost forgotten how groundbreaking ITCOTCK is until I played the original album for the first time in years recently. This stuff is 50 years old now for gods sake and yet it still sounds fresh and innovative. Schizoid Man is still as scary as the first time I heard it. Fripp is a genius, one of my absolute guitar heroes. 
  • King Crimson here too.

Larks Tongue In Aspic. 

@boogieman - The new Sid Smith book is just out if you fancy a look, double the size of the original, and if the reviews are anything to go by, completely re-written....

https://burningshed.com/sid-smith_in-the-court-of-king-crimson_book
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6124
    Rickie Lee Jones' debut album. 
    It was completely off-tangent(?) to the mainly rock music I was listening to in 1979 but was so sassy and she just oozed this snappy confidence. TOGWT did a segment on her and played her Young Blood and Chuck E's In Love videos (see below) and I was just mesmorised. It completely changed my musical direction.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    King Crimson here too.

Larks Tongue In Aspic. 

@boogieman - The new Sid Smith book is just out if you fancy a look, double the size of the original, and if the reviews are anything to go by, completely re-written....

https://burningshed.m/sid-smith_in-the-court-of-king-crimson_book

Cheers man, been on my xmas list for a while now.
  • The Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. I basically learned to play lead guitar by jamming over this. Also I listened to JS's The Extremist the other week and it was like meeting an old friend. Proper.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HaychHaych Frets: 5636

Anything by Dire Straits really.  I don't listen to them very often but when I do I always find myself impressed, I always seem to hear something new or learn something.

Even the last album, On Every Street - which to be fair has some dodgy tunes on it, has some really good songs and excellent playing.  Always feels like I'm home after a long stay away whenever I'm listening to Straits.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Hmmm, quite a few for me, but two that stand out are:

The Sun and the Moon - The Sun and the Moon (1988)
    The Smiths - Meat is Murder (1985)

Both bring back fond memories from that time.

We are all Chameleons...
  • Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Owned it on cassette back in the '80s when I was starting to listen to more challenging stuff, and have bought it on various other formats once or twice again over the years.  It's just so dense, rhythmically and melodically.  I could probably sit and listen to it again today, and pick out something I'd never noticed before.  One of the greatest examples of "the studio as creative instrument" ever.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Superunknown, Soundgarden. It would impact me in terms of how song is written, tunings, keeping things interesting etc.
    Same for me. Bought the album years ago but only probably got back into it a few years ago and realised how much of an influence it had on what I try to write and play. Same goes for Tool as well who I never was hugely into, but seem to have picked up some influence from Adam Jones’ playing.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Live After Death, Iron Maiden was the first album that really got me into music.

The ones that really changed things after that:

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (which then started me on a whole jazz thing which continues to this day)
    Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91 (not one of their most acclaimed albums, but it was my gateway drug to hip hop)
    Tom Waits - Small Change (and/or) Swordfishtrombones

My Dad was into Tom Waits, so it was on in the house, but he listened to the more piano driven 70s stuff, so Swordfishtrombones was an eye opener.

All three of those albums massively influenced what I like today, almost 30 years later.

• Travis, The Man Who. Was technically the second album I ever bought (after Smurfs Go Pop from a few years prior). Then got into "cooler" music and thought it was lame I ever liked them until a few years ago when I realised how brilliant it was and how much when I wrote songs I was basically aping songs from that album
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited November 2019
    It’s cool that Live After Death and Superunknown are mentioned by a few, Both albums have had a big impact on me.

Live After Death: I got the double tape when I was 11 after hearing it at a friends house. I pretty much listened to nothing but this for the next couple of years and had Eddie posters on my wall. At 15 I got into indie and moved on from Maiden who, well, were not ‘cool’,  I even started to dislike them. Gradually I got back into heavier bands and metal and about ten years ago gave Live After Death a spin and was blown away how good it was. I think early engagement with the album gave the foundations to be into allsorts of heavy and non mainstream guitar music in later years. 

Superunknown is one of my, probably the, favourite albums. It has influenced my musical taste ad the way I play guitar. However I can’t say I ever left it, as every few months I’ve always gone back to it. I must have listened to it hundreds of times by now and know if back to front. Perhaps I’ve listened to it less often since Chris left us, some of his lyrics are by now close to the bone. 
  • Another shout for Superunknown. I bought it a short while after it was released on the back seeing them on MTV. The first time I listened to it I wasn't at all convinced but when I returned to it about 6 months later I was left wondering as to why I didn't get it initially.
    If I had to chose a favourite album I'm pretty sure it would be the winner.