Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Matrix is kinda crap

What's Hot
I dunno guys. I loved it before. But I watched it this week and was kinda annoyed by the "us and them" mentality packaged within it. I couldn't focus on the action hero because the preachiness just kept shining through. I never really spotted it before.

For example the scene where they're in the training simulation with the red woman. Morpheus is ranting about how anyone in the matrix is an enemy because they could be used by the agents and the system. That's as far as the analysis goes. 

The whole thing is an allegory for our society, and I find the model presented completely lacking. But I do like guns and trenchcoats tho.

Far from my thinking becoming "simpler" as I get older, where I'm willing to take sides and join tribes, like the typical thinking goes. I find myself way more open minded about things. "Maybe this person can teach me something..." or "maybe I don't know everything...."

The "goodies" in the matrix are so sure of themselves that it kinda sucks. The only person to even contemplate what the matrix actually is ends up bring burned alive by a raygun. And he's painted like a steak lovin' egomaniac tart. Us and them bullshit again.

I think I'd rather watch My Girl.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You're entirely missing the point.   It's a religious film to symbolise lack of free will.

All bollocks. There is no god.  There is no point.  There just is,  this.  Enjoy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• All bollocks.
    Not anymore :lol: 

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    I feel the same way about the alien films, first time round was great, nowadays though, I mean, how many times can one person go through the whole ''an alien is aboard, all the crew is dead, get to the life boat, blow the ship'' routine? It was all done in the first Alien film, let it go. Loads of great films back then I find utterly tedious to watch these days.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24344
    Aliens was a great fillum.  Better than the original IMO.  However, for the accolade of ‘most flogged to death franchise’ I nominate Jurassic Park.  “Let’s profit from the dinosaurs, Oh shit they’ve escaped, running, screaming, deaths, resolution”.  Having said that, the Alien franchise is pretty much identical.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    Emp_Fab said:
    Aliens was a great fillum.  Better than the original IMO.  However, for the accolade of ‘most flogged to death franchise’ I nominate Jurassic Park.  “Let’s profit from the dinosaurs, Oh shit they’ve escaped, running, screaming, deaths, resolution”.  Having said that, the Alien franchise is pretty much identical.
    Just repeats of the same story rather than the story continues, 2001/2010 , now that was a follow up, I would have liked to see them make more as per the books though, and lets face it , Roy Scheider in space? Whats not to like.

We're gonna need a bigger ship Roy!

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Just because you find less in it every time you watch it doesn't make it worse.  The much bashed sequels spend time pointing out it isn't one sided.

The woman in the red dress isn't to point out everyone is an enemy but that anyone can be, it's not a great metaphor but it works for a two hour film.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Alien freaked me out the first time, but not since. It's just too slow. Aliens is by far the better film.
    As a Star Wars fan, the same goes for A New Hope. I saw it age 7 in my father's cinema (he was the manager) and it was life changing. And then Empire came out and blew it out the water. I still watch Empire now and get tingles of excitement whereas Star Wars (it's Star Wars, alright?) is pedestrian and in places, pantomime.

But Matrix? Hell no, Matrix is the best of the lot and is still totally strong. Thought provoking. The rest are 'just' sci-fi.

And then Jurassic Park. Classic. The sequels though? They were so preoccupied with where they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
  • "Alien" is a Horror film that is set in "Space"........It's an Outer Space "Haunted House" Fillum!

"Aliens" is an Action Film because it was the 80's innit!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    I dunno guys. I loved it before. But I watched it this week and was kinda annoyed by the "us and them" mentality packaged within it. I couldn't focus on the action hero because the preachiness just kept shining through. I never really spotted it before.

For example the scene where they're in the training simulation with the red woman. Morpheus is ranting about how anyone in the matrix is an enemy because they could be used by the agents and the system. That's as far as the analysis goes. 

The whole thing is an allegory for our society, and I find the model presented completely lacking. But I do like guns and trenchcoats tho.

Far from my thinking becoming "simpler" as I get older, where I'm willing to take sides and join tribes, like the typical thinking goes. I find myself way more open minded about things. "Maybe this person can teach me something..." or "maybe I don't know everything...."

The "goodies" in the matrix are so sure of themselves that it kinda sucks. The only person to even contemplate what the matrix actually is ends up bring burned alive by a raygun. And he's painted like a steak lovin' egomaniac tart. Us and them bullshit again.

I think I'd rather watch My Girl.
    yep, that's what happens when age brings wisdom. Sounds like  cult doesn't it?

real life brings lots of subtleties and shades of grey. Less absolutism.

yet these can be fun films after a couple of de-woking drinks, same as the old Clint Eastwood films
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6718
    Sounds like something someone who took the blue pill would say... 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How can u even discuss the Matrix without mentioning the conceivability hypothesis - its not an allegory for society its a discussion of conciousness and feasibility, metaphysically at least, of the existence of zombies
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Now do V for Vendetta!
  • TheMarlin said:
    Now do V for Vendetta!
    Nah, I loved that movie. Well... at the time! :triumph: 

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• The whole thing is an allegory for our society, and I find the model presented completely lacking. But I do like guns and trenchcoats tho.
    It's not an allegory for our society now, it's an allegory for the state of religion in society 20 years ago.
    That's kind of the point - they're so sure of themselves, but they're wrong. Spectacularly. They've swallowed the religious edicts hook, line and sinker and never questioned where they came from, and so their city is mostly destroyed and they're almost wiped out.
    <space for hire>
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited December 2019
    The Matrix is like being cornered at a party by a teenager who has just discovered mushrooms. 

Alien is one of the greatest films of all time. 

Aliens is a formulaic pile of American "action" toss, loved by people who have the attention span of a gnat and an erotic attachment to guns. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    edited December 2019
    DiscoStu said:
    Alien freaked me out the first time, but not since. It's just too slow. Aliens is by far the better film.
    As a Star Wars fan, the same goes for A New Hope. I saw it age 7 in my father's cinema (he was the manager) and it was life changing. And then Empire came out and blew it out the water. I still watch Empire now and get tingles of excitement whereas Star Wars (it's Star Wars, alright?) is pedestrian and in places, pantomime.
    I hate it when Star Wars is called A New Hope. It was Star Wars when it came out and conquered the world and Lucas should have left it at that. 'A New Hope' is such a shitty name for such a great film.  And don't get me started on Jabba..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S0LB6O-uXS8/Uvvv7PDFD0I/AAAAAAAAGM8/iajciM64QMc/s1600/mulholland2.jpg

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I watched Reloaded last night.

The special effects were grim. The whole thing looks like a cheap B movie. It was actually embarrassing in a few places. I was less embarrassed watching the Conan remake.

Bye!

• I will watch Revolutions tonight, and this whole sorry saga will be over.

Bye!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Alien > Aliens.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    I liked the Matrix at the time but I haven't watched it since seeing the sequels because they were both utter shite.  The original might still be good, it might have dated badly but I'll probably never find out.

I like Alien and Aliens, they're both great but different.

Star Wars was great when I was 13 but it's actually a pretty poor film and George Lucas is a hopeless director.