eBay Content: Partscaster Vagueness

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
edited December 2019 in Guitar

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    Bless him , 
  • Aaaaand reported. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Is that a fake then? Genuine question as I have no clue how to spot these things.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    The decal looks wrong and the serial number, from what I’ve seen, should be on the front under the logo. I don’t think they would have said “made in Japan” that early? Serial number points to a 89/90/91 year or manufacture from what I’ve read. 

And even if it was a 50s re issue based on the decal the truss rod adjustment wouldn’t be on the headstock.
    Crikey. I'm taking someone with me if I ever buy a Strat!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72899
    The usual tarted-up Chinese Squier, or from the same factory...

You don’t need to be a super expert, the bare truss rod adjustment hole in the headstock is a dead giveaway.

There are many other smaller ones too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    The volute looks too harsh as well.

CeeJay said:
    Crikey. I'm taking someone with me if I ever buy a Strat!
    Someone may correct me on everything I’ve just said but that’s my experience with Jap strats. They’re easy guitars to fake and all it takes is one unsuspecting buyer to come along and they’ll lose a few hundred very quickly.
  • The ‘advice’ he got from his ‘musician’ friend is hilarious. He talks as if he knows what he’s on about yet misses all the very obvious clues that anyone with anyone experience with Strats would spot in 5 seconds. Ridiculous!
    edited December 2019
    The ‘advice’ he got from his ‘musician’ friend is hilarious. He talks as if he knows what he’s on about yet misses all the very obvious clues that anyone with anyone experience with Strats would spot in 5 seconds. Ridiculous!
    The typical weasel-worded get-out for later claiming that he didn’t actually state it was genuine. Of course he knows full well it isn’t.

It’s illegal regardless, since it says both Fender on the guitar and in the listing, so it’s a clear counterfeit with intent to deceive.

Also reported. The more that do, the quicker it will get pulled. Go down the list and select ‘copyright and trademark’, ‘counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer’, ‘counterfeit, fake or replica item’ and state that it’s not a Fender and is a Chinese fake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The ‘advice’ he got from his ‘musician’ friend is hilarious. He talks as if he knows what he’s on about yet misses all the very obvious clues that anyone with anyone experience with Strats would spot in 5 seconds. Ridiculous!
    The typical weasel-worded get-out for later claiming that he didn’t actually state it was genuine. Of course he knows full well it isn’t.

It’s illegal regardless, since it says both Fender on the guitar and in the listing, so it’s a clear counterfeit with intent to deceive.

Also reported. The more that do, the quicker it will get pulled. Go down the list and select ‘copyright and trademark’, ‘counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer’, ‘counterfeit, fake or replica item’ and state that it’s not a Fender and is a Chinese fake.
    Agreed. Reported as well.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited December 2019
    Reported too.

Who wouldn't take the time to remove the neck in order to ensure a higher price for it too...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14698
    I cannot see a single genuine Fender or Squier part on it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CeeJay said:
    Is that a fake then? Genuine question as I have no clue how to spot these things.
    Me neither. Apart from the gold bridge maybe, which looks odd on that guitar.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    "I'm not a musician myself".. "what's that you say? Why do I have a guitar stand? Oh no you're mistaken that's just the display holder for my comically oversized plate".
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • He's not a musician himself, but tells us that it's a very well made and well playing instrument. OK...

• ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1173
    edited December 2019
    CeeJay said:
    Truss rod hole should have a rosewood plug and the screw adjustment should be at the other end. The rear trem cover should have one screw offset. The machine heads and saddles look like generic, non-branded ones, decals look wrong, especially the serial number. Should only be one string tree. Pick guard screws are in wrong places. Some of the contours, eg on the neck don’t look right. There’s probably more.

The best thing to do is to get detailed pictures and compare them with pictures of genuine guitars and you can usually easily find some discrepancies with the fake.
    CeeJay said:
    Apart from the bare truss rod adjustment hole - which shouldn't be at the head end on a vintage reissue anyway - here are a few:

The ridge separating the headstock from the neck on the back is too prominent.
    The string trees are too wide (along the length of the strings).
    The bridge is too 'square' at the corners where the trem arm hole is.
    The bridge saddles are wrong.
    The backplate is too square at the corners and the middle two screws are not offset.
    The pickup polepieces are not staggered, and too tall for non-staggered (the two ways real Fender pickups are).
    The pickup height screw heads are too small.
    The pickguard tip on the lower horn is too rounded.

Compare any of these things to a real one and you'll easily see why they're different.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Immediate problems with it being a legit MIJ/CIJ Fender:
    • 2-pc maple neck
    • Two string trees
    • Truss-rod access route is incorrect (either at the wrong end, or the wrong shape depending on which model it was meant to be)
    • Headstock transition seems "off"
    • Trem cover is very square-edged
    • Something doesn't seem right about that neck plate too
    • Cheap trem - the saddles and bridge-plate are a giveaway.
    • 11-screw 3-ply pickguard on a 50s model... not likely.
    • Knobs have the "cheap" font on there from typical far-east S-types.

Good stuff. Every day's a school-day in this game. I wouldn't have the balls to try and pass a fake off, but I could probably easily get suckered in to buying one. Maybe not now though thanks to the pointers above. I think I'm suitably scared off buying used!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14698
    Very occasionally, you get a naïve seller, passing on something that they were told by a previous seller was genuine/valuable. 

Usually, these offerings are a blatant attempt to rip off an unsuspecting purchaser. It takes a degree of assertiveness to go through return and refund procedures. Not every customer has that. Also, there is often a time limit after which no complaint will be upheld - even if it is valid. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.