Which Epiphone LP

What's Hot
Today I went to play guitars and that usually results in me playing a strat, a telecaster, a gretsch and whatever fender Jaguar they have knocking around (regardless of shop).
Today I tried a Gibson Les Paul... I've never even picked up a Les Paul and I've played for a good 20 years now. Hated how it looked, loved how it played. I then saw the price tag and moved to the Les Paul tribute, didn't like the way it looked or played....
I then moved to the Epiphone rack and played an unsightly green Les Paul pro; my God it was good and I must have one.

I'm probably going to upset a lot of people here but I am seriously not keen on the bursts and fancy flame tops of Les Paul's which is why I didn't walk away with any of the epiphones today. I do REALLY like the look of a Les Paul in ebony...
My localish PMT has both the Epiphone Custom Pro and the Epiphone Black Beauty in stock - love the three pickup look on that one.

Can somebody please school me on these two guitars or alternatives. Always had a really good experience with epi acoustics and the quality of the LPs today was outstanding.

Cheers! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    edited December 2019
    If they look right, feel right and play right, ignore the name on the headstock.  Have a 56 gold top pro myself and it plays great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12117
    I've got a White Epi Custom Pro, great guitar.  I believe these all have the "Probucker" pickups which are like a slightly treblier version of the Gibson Burstbucker.

I love mine.

The ebony is identical, except black, so if you have played an Epi "pro" LP you will probably love it.

Compared to the green one, I think that's a plustop pro, so the custom pro gets a phase reverse push-pull as well as the two coil splits, for a Peter Green vibe (so I'm told).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Only potential issue with the 3 pups is that the middle one  might interfere with your picking 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3661
    Epiphone did do a plain top, Ive been after one for ages now, might be worth looking out for one if you dont like fancy tops.
    I have a GT 56 and its a great guitar.

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Les_Paul_Standard.php#Les_Paul_Standard_Plain_Top

Or if you wanted to push the boat out.

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Elitist_Series.php#Elitist_Les_Paul_Standard

I havent played the newer Chinese made epis and I am sure they are great guitars but I have had two late Korean guitars 2000-20004 and both were great, I had an early Korean one and it was a bit pants, might have just been me though.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What's your budget? Are you desperate to buy new? 
    If second hand is an option I'd suggest looking for an Edwards, Tokai, Greco or similar MIJ beast. You could also get a Gibson "tribute". Any of these could be had around the £500 mark with patience. 

My favourite "budget" LP is the Vintage V100pg- their Lemon Drop model, it's great- provided you don't mind thin necks. 
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 424
    I bought the Epiphone Les Paul Custom ebony 3 weeks ago and have not put it down since. It's so much fun and given my playing a new lease of life - just learned 'are you gonna go my way' . I sanded the neck down to wood and oiled it as I prefer this feel.

In the past I have had custom shop R9s, Tokai Les Paul's etc but this is the most fun and it's only 8.4 lbs. Also, with a guitar that costs 500 quid you are not as precious about it and just play it. I removed the pickguard and next up I will remove the pickup covers.

Obviously, I know this is not as well made as a US Gibson and the components are cheap compared to that but I don't really care at this point. Listen to the tone Bonamassa gets from the Epi norms burst on YouTube and then tell me that doesn't turn you on! 

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1104
    edited December 2019
    I have a 2012 Epiphone Les Paul Standard which cost me £299. I had tried Gibson customs and even the Epiphone customs before that in the shop and they just didn't play as nicely as the one I eventually took home. Have switched the bridge pickup and done a couple of other tweaks but it plays so good. People will say its the poor man's Gibson but if you did a blind test you wouldn't notice much different I reckon.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    If you like ebony guitars - have a shot with the Epi Holy Diver. Chunkier neck than 98% of current Epiphones (which are the slim taper D), and a satin finish to both neck and body. Blade pickups surprisingly more versatile than you would think.
    At current sale prices, i reckon its the best value Epi LP at the moment.

Adam
    Have you had a look on the Epiphone web site to see whats available? I have to admit, its not great at the moment, still some lovely things on there.  Like this sparkly goodness!

And I'm seriously loving this,

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul.aspx

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Ltd-Edition.aspx

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Yeah, i quite like the blue sparkly one :) But whats the neck profile? If Slim Taper D, then less keen.
    The Trad '60 looks nice too, but again, neck profile?

• What's your budget? Are you desperate to buy new? 
    If second hand is an option I'd suggest looking for an Edwards, Tokai, Greco or similar MIJ beast. You could also get a Gibson "tribute". Any of these could be had around the £500 mark with patience. 

My favourite "budget" LP is the Vintage V100pg- their Lemon Drop model, it's great- provided you don't mind thin necks. 
    My budget is probably up to around 1200 quid. The only reason I'm looking to buy new and probably from PMT is to take advantage of their 24 month 0% finance offer - I can afford the guitar outright but don't mind if I spread that bad boy over two years for nuttin.

Honestly though, I really did prefer the entire feel of the epi. And I'm not fussed about spending a third of my budget... There's plenty more pedal GAS to be had this January. 

Re Vintage - I had a vintage SG 10 years ago and it was SUPERB, I packed up and moved abroad and got rid of everything other than a couple of guitars, big regret.
    edited December 2019
    Kalimna said:
    Yeah, i quite like the blue sparkly one But whats the neck profile? If Slim Taper D, then less keen.
    The Trad '60 looks nice too, but again, neck profile?

Apparently its thick on the Trad Pro, watch the video on Andertons, and its quite cheap.
  • Kalimna said:
    If you like ebony guitars - have a shot with the Epi Holy Diver. Chunkier neck than 98% of current Epiphones (which are the slim taper D), and a satin finish to both neck and body. Blade pickups surprisingly more versatile than you would think.
    At current sale prices, i reckon its the best value Epi LP at the moment.

Adam
    Now that is nice! Love the Thin Lizzie connection too. Gear4Music isn't far to give one a go, I'll put it on the list for next weekend.

robgilmo said:
    Have you had a look on the Epiphone web site to see whats available? I have to admit, its not great at the moment, still some lovely things on there.  Like this sparkly goodness!

Wow! Not sure about the sparkler but the burst aint half bad, and I ain't usually a fan of bursts full stop.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    Loved my Epiphone LP Custom and the Custom Pro I played as well. Keep thinking about getting one again, just found it such a fun and inspiring guitar to play. More so than my Gibson SG.

The Pro ones are the ones to go for imo, apart from slightly cheap/loose feeling pots I don’t think there’s anything that would need replacing. I like the Probuckers and the Pro has a slightly thicker neck than the normal ones. If you want a *really* nice one and don’t mind EMG pickups I’d look at the Bjorn Gelotte signature as it has a better/bigger neck profile that’s more standard Gibson in feel. There’s also the inspired by 1955 Custom with Gibson P90s which I have had major GAS for forever.

For me the only real reason I’d maybe go for something else is if I wanted the proper headstock shape, and also the Gibson nitro finish looks and feels nicer than the plasticky poly of the Epiphone.
  • I am also considering trying a Gibson LP Studios - Looks like my local PMT has everything stock. At over double the price though I'm expecting something spectacular :P
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12117
    I am also considering trying a Gibson LP Studios - Looks like my local PMT has everything stock. At over double the price though I'm expecting something spectacular :P

I've got a 2016 Studio Faded and an Epi custom pro and consider them comparable, though the Gibson is a bit better.  It's very different takes though, the studio faded has a quite thick C profile neck and the Epi the slim taper D, and they both sound a bit different.

Both are lovely wouldn't part with either.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus, which dates from 2007, if my memory serves me correctly. It was one of a series of guitars, that Epiphone released as Guitar of the Month - these were limited run guitars. not just made for a single month. It has 3 Humbuckers, and a black finish with the front of the Body being finished in trans black over a flame Maple cap. I've been planning to sell it for a while. I used to play it a lot after I got it, and prefer Les Pauls with 2 Humbuckers these days.
  • I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus, which dates from 2007, if my memory serves me correctly. It was one of a series of guitars, that Epiphone released as Guitar of the Month - these were limited run guitars. not just made for a single month. It has 3 Humbuckers, and a black finish with the front of the Body being finished in trans black over a flame Maple cap. I've been planning to sell it for a while. I used to play it a lot after I got it, and prefer Les Pauls with 2 Humbuckers these days.
    Edging more and more towards the pro custom in ebony. Quite a bit more expensive than the standard pro with a fancy top however. 

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus, which dates from 2007, if my memory serves me correctly. It was one of a series of guitars, that Epiphone released as Guitar of the Month - these were limited run guitars. not just made for a single month. It has 3 Humbuckers, and a black finish with the front of the Body being finished in trans black over a flame Maple cap. I've been planning to sell it for a while. I used to play it a lot after I got it, and prefer Les Pauls with 2 Humbuckers these days.
    Edging more and more towards the pro custom in ebony. Quite a bit more expensive than the standard pro with a fancy top however. 

they look great in black I think, customs or standards, I do have a penchant for the tres pick up black beauty though
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • If I were to go second hand what should I look out for? There are a few 80s/90s korean Epis for sale near me in the colour I desire.