Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Concerts/gigs you've been to

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    edited January 2020
    The thing thats really striking me as odd is how many are putting bands they've seen the most with less than 10 times. There must be least 50 bands I've seen more than 10 times. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Reverend said:
    The thing thats really striking me as odd is how many are putting bands they've seen the most with less than 10 times. There must be least 50 bands I've seen more than 10 times. 
    Why odd? It's a lifestyle choice seeing that many bands. Some of us prefer to spend our money and time not repeating life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27055
    CeeJay said:
    Reverend said:
    Why odd? It's a lifestyle choice seeing that many bands. Some of us prefer to spend our money and time not repeating life.
    Not to mention just plain not having both the time and the money whenever people are touring.  10 years ago I had time but not money, now I have money and more limited time (never mind that i'm in Abu Dhabi which gets about 2 good gigs a year..)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22909
    Reverend said:
    Yes, no offence Rev, but I think you're the outlier in this case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24308
    Reverend said:
    I wouldn't go and see a band over 10 times if they only did a greatest hits set list every time.

Got to have some classics of course, but I like to hear new material live, and unfortunately there are loads that just re-order old set lists and throw in a new single or 2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    edited January 2020
    First gig is lost in the long distant past - Prince Buster? The Skatellites?  Junior Walker?   Or Frank Ifield and Kathy Kirby at the Palladium.

Last gig was Kate Rusby.  It was grim.  Dweezil Zappa was last but one and much much better

Best gig has to be a tie between Asleep at the Wheel at (what was) Dingwalls, Robert Plant at RAH and Roy Harper at the Rainbow on 14/2/1974 for the launch of Valentine.  Band included Keith Moon and Jimmy Page....  Or Burt Bacharach or Liza Minelli , both at RFH.  Or Joni Mitchell at the RFH.  Or Dwight Yoakam at Hammersmith Odeon.  Or any BB King gig anywhere.

Loudest was Dave and Phil Alvin at Islington Assembly Rooms a couple of years ago.  The meter on my phone stopped at 140dB and it hit that a number ot times. I was deaf for three days afterwards and my ears are whistling to this day.   Or the proper Who at Wembley Arena.

Worst, honestly, was King Crimson last year at the Palladium.  Too loud and strident so couldn't really enjoy it.  Or Punch Brothers at RFH.  Fucking waste of time.  Or Mungo Jerry at the Temple when they were substituted for Edgar Broughton.

Seen the most must be Roy Harper. Or Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts who I followed for years.

Most fun.  Are gigs fun. Probably Madelaine Peyrouix at the RFH.  Or Al Stewart at Drury Lane circa 1971.

Most surprising was either Michelle Shocked or Lyle Lovett, both at the Palladium, both at the beginning of new country and I was blown away and never looked back. 

Next gig as JoBo at Leeds Arena (fortunately in the second row centre stage)

Wish I had seen the Stones in Hyde Park.  I passed on it.  I went to every other free gig in the park though

Craziest.  I had very long hair at the end of the 60s and into the 70s.  I loved Jamaican music and went to a pretty rough club in Catford regularly to see the reggae bands.  Lots of skinheads made for a certain level of craziness but I was only beaten up twice.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Which i find very odd, considering this is a musician's forum.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5636
    edited January 2020
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Which i find very odd, considering this is a musician's forum.
    I don’t know any bands that have come round often enough for me to have seen them that many times. Even bands who I’ve been nuts about enough to see overseas because they weren’t coming to the uk just haven’t toured enough to see more than half a dozen times. 

I don’t have, and never have had, deep enough pockets to follow a band around on tour, which would be the only way I’d get to see a band play live 10+ times. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    I don't know why I would want to go and see the same band more than a handful of times when there are hundreds of bands I would go and see that I've never seen at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattWMattW Frets: 80

First concert - Run DMC/Public Enemy/Derek B - Newport Centre 1988

Last concert- Pixies - Motorpoint Cardiff last September

Best concert - AC/DC - Hammersmith Apollo 2003 - amazing to see them at such a relatively small venue.

Loudest concert - My Bloody Valentine - Rollercoaster Tour, Cardiff Ice Rink 1992. 

Worst concert - The Strokes - Cardiff Arena, 2003. Late, shit sound, short set, hard to tell whether the crowd or the band gave less of a fuck.

Seen the most - Probably Dinosaur Jr. 

Most fun concert - The Dead Milkmen - Marquee Club, 1991

Most Surprising concert  - Isis (the band rather than the whackjobs) - Somewhere in Bedminster I think around 2006. Got dragged along as my mate was involved in putting it on and they’d sold bugger all tickets. Absolutely electrifying performance in an empty hall - not that the band would have noticed as none of them faced the 15 or so of us watching.

Next concert - Nothing booked yet.

Wish I had seen - Early 70s Stones, Dead Kennedy’s, Elvis.

Craziest concert - Nirvana - Bristol Bierkeller, 1991. Awesome mosh pit and plenty of stage diving fun. Most bizarre thing is when looking up the date I found a bootleg of the gig on YouTube that I’m listening to now and about 24 mins into it can clearly hear my girlfriend of the time explaining to someone else that she lost me in the crowd. That’s just totally done my head in!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited January 2020
    First concert - October 1970 at Trentham Gardens: The James Gang (with Joe Walsh on guitar) supporting The Who at Trentham Gardens in 1970. I used to keep a log and wrote that the James Gang were very good and The Who were a bit boring.

Last Concert - Honest John and Ray Beavis at The Point Bar in Exmouth last Sunday. Amazing to see such world class playing close up in a small restaurant. 

Best concert - Possibly Free at Hanley Town Hall or maybe Extreme at Hammersmith Odeon

Loudest concert - Casiopea at the Hammersmith Odean. The kick drum was so loud it was like being painfully thumped in the chest.

Worst concert - Possibly Weather Report at the Hammersmith Odean. Jaco was astonishing but the music was doing my head in live. We walked out.

Seen the most - Possibly SFX with Alan Murphy. I use to follow them around the London pub circuit armed with a cassette recorder.

Most fun concert - Probably Supercharge with Albie Donnelly supporting Queen at Hyde Park. Hilarious live.

Most Surprising concert - SFX with Alan Murphy the first time at The Cricketers. I was both amazed and utterly devastated. Seeing that I completely lost confidence in my playing and realised I was nowhere as a guitarist. It took a long time to recover. 

Next concert - Probably Honest John and Ray Beavis next month

Wish I had seen - Jimi Hendrix

Craziest concert - Probably The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (with Zal Cleminson dressed as a clown).

It's not a competition.
    Clearly i live in a very different worldl. Even the people i know who dont go to that many gigs will have seen some bands 10 times or more. Go to the odd festival,  catch some supports and it soon adds up. 
    Also, if you play in a band you catch bands you play withhell, I've probably seen mastodon 7 times and I don't even listen to them.

Ive seen Orange Goblin over 100 times due to working with them. Grand Magus, Witchcraft, Cathedral,  Electric Wizard all bands I've seen 30 plus times

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    First concert - Saxon, Oxford Apollo, 1982/3 ish?

Last Concert - Joey Landreth and TPS. Fat Lils in Witney. Tone for days

Best concert - Either the Killers at Birmingham in 2017 or Queen at Wembley stadium in 1986. Made all the better for a well launched apple from the half way line catching Michael Hutchence in the nuts as top comedy moment too

Loudest concert - Gillan, Oxford Apollo. Janice Gers scraping his black Strat against the pa stack in an artist moment.... thoroughly unpleasant

Worst concert - Dr Phibes and the House of was equations, Sheffield Leadmill. Utter garbage

Seen the most- The Mission

Most fun concert - Hot house flowers, Sheffield Leadmill. Totally positive vibes on a Sunday night buy an unknown band and how to win the crowd

Most Surprising concert - Rolling Stones, Maine Road. Surprisingly good for 60 year olds.... what, you mean they are still going?

Next concert- Phil X 

Wish I had seen - SRV, Vai, Pearl Jam, and the Foos at Phoenix

Craziest concert - Faith No More, mosh pit, Phoenix festival
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    Back in the days when there were numerous venues (I'm thinking about London but it's probably not dissimilar in other cities) it was possible to see bands several times in a year. There were loads of bands who'd play, say, the Marquee half a dozen times in a year.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    First: Def Leppard
    Last: Shed Seven
    Best: Rage Against The Machine - downstairs at Rock City
    Loudest: Van Halen
    Worst: Def Leppard
    Most fun: Chickenfoot
    Most surprising: Black Crowes in Kansas, supporting Aerosmith before making it big
    Most seen: Aerosmith
    Next: No concerts booked
    Wish I had seen: SRV
    Craziest: Madonna, Buenos Aires
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Reverend said:
    Clearly i live in a very different worldl. Even the people i know who dont go to that many gigs will have seen some bands 10 times or more. Go to the odd festival,  catch some supports and it soon adds up. 
    Also, if you play in a band you catch bands you play withhell, I've probably seen mastodon 7 times and I don't even listen to them.

Ive seen Orange Goblin over 100 times due to working with them. Grand Magus, Witchcraft, Cathedral,  Electric Wizard all bands I've seen 30 plus times

I’ve definitely seen many bands more than ten times.... even bands I don’t particularly care about.... The Almighty supported everyone at The Marquee.

Also, metal fans tend to be more obsessive about their music than fans of other genres.  My son has seen Power Trip five times and he’s not twenty yet.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First concert - Velvet Revolver, 2005, Metro Radio Arena Newcastle

Last concert - Alter Bridge, 02 London

Best concert - Chris Cornell, 2012, Newcastle City Hall, (Acoustic) 

Loudest concert - Winterville, 2006, Academy 2 Newcastle (Was stood next to huge bass bin and speaker and it hurt)

Worst concert - Shinedown, 2019 o2 Arena (supporting Alter Bridge) - worst live show I've ever seen by quite some margin.

Seen the most - Oli Brown (seen 10x)

Most fun concert - Alice Cooper (multiple times), closely followed by the Darkness at download because justin hawkins entered by being carried in through the crowd on the shoulders of a dozen vikings while wielding a sword. Went pretty downhill from there though.

Most Surprising concert  - Maroon 5, MEN Arena. forget the year but was dragged along and really enjoyed it.

Next concert - The Aristocrats, Cluny Newcastle

Wish I had seen - Soundgarden. Too busy getting married when they reformed and toured and now i'm divorced and not seeing Soundgarden just adds to the regret

Craziest concert - Download 2015 - Motley Crue followed by Kiss. Just rock and roll decadence at it'a finest... flamethrowers, zip wires, drum kits on hydraulic platforms...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Haych said:
    Stolen from something a friend put on facetube:

Something  to do if you’re bored! 

First concert - Don’t remember

Last concert- Ariana Grande. 

Best concert - Rush, Molson Amphitheater 1st July 1997

Loudest concert - Pat Travers - like having a shipping container of gravel dropped on you from a great height!

Worst concert - Joe Satriani

Seen the most - Rush, Mark Knopfler, Pat Travers or Del Amitri - seen them all so many times it will be one of them. 

Most fun concert - Rush, they are quite hilarious. 

Most Surprising concert  - The Zutons. 

Next concert - Blues Club, if you can call it a concert. Larkin Poe coming up too. 

Wish I had seen - Dire Straits, almost got to see them in Sheffield in September 1st 1991 but had school the next day so the parental units wouldn’t let me go. After all that I didn’t have school the next day! It was teacher training! Thanks mum!

Craziest concert - not sure I’ve ever been to a crazy concert, Ariana Grande was proper bonkers though. 

Copy and paste yours.

FIrst concert - Macc Lads at Cheltenham Town Hall. Really not my thing, mate roped me in. Think you had to be 16/18+ to get in so no idea how me managed it. Terrible! :)

Last - Extreme at the O2 in Bristol.

Best - Either Steve Vai at the Astoria in 98ish, being down by the front for RATM at Download a few years ago, or Jeff Healey in 94 or so in Bristol (not a blues fan but he was great). 

Loudest - I've experienced nothing painful. 

Worst - same as the first. 

Seen the most - Steve Vai probably. 

Most fun - RATM or Dan Reed Network. 

Most surprising - Slayer. Saw them last year in Birmingham. Never liked them despite buying albums in an attempt to 'get' them. It was amazing and I should have done it many years ago...just pure, undiluted metal from start to finish, and no fucking about. 

Next - nothing planned apart from gigs with my band. 

Wish I'd seen - More Slayer. 

Craziest - Slipknot at Leeds when they were breaking, crowd was fairly bonkers from what I could see but I was a fair distance away. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584

First concert - U2 @ Tiffany's Glasgow 1983

Last concert - Shellac @ SWG3 Glasgow Dec 19

Best concert - Impossible question... Maybe one of Sonic Youth round about 86, Bad Seeds round about 2004, Fugazi in early 2000's, Sigur Ros in 2009, Efterklang, A Silver Mt Zion, Low... I'm not good at making decisions like that... Bob Mould? The Smiths were quite good.... I don't know...

Loudest concert - Maybe Swans, although Sonic Youth (in smaller venues), Dinosaur Jr, Mogwai and Mono get honourable mentions

Worst concert - Hmmm... Manic Street Preachers in King Tuts - lured by the hype - shite wannabe punk. To be fair there's probably been a lot worse. Pixies on their re-union tour a few years ago were a big disappointment.

Seen the most - Sonic Youth probably, although Low must be getting close

Most fun concert - remember supporting Jad Fair at the Cathouse in Glasgow, we ripped the utter pish out of him because he was cheeky about the amp he borrowed from me.

Most Surprising concert - Maybe the first time I saw Efterklang - utterly superb - I did't know how much I liked them until I saw them live, but loads of other wee bands - remember seeing Mogwai in a pub in Glasgow when they were wee guys and instantly realising they were something special

Next concert - Angel Olsen at Barrowlands, Feb, then A Winged Victory For The Sullen in March. Not going to Explosions In The Sky because it's two days before Angel and concerts are too expensive now...

Wish I had seen - The New Year, Bedhead, Codeine, The Afghan Whigs, Do Make Say Think... Loads....

Craziest concert - Vague memories of watching Blur while lying on top of a Transit at Reading 93. Echo & The Bunnymen in Portree 1983 - Skye didn't know what had hit it... Mogwai, Perth Theatre in 2011 - I guy stage dived from the balcony...

Wish I'd kept a gig diary....

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    ewal said:

First concert - U2 @ Tiffany's Glasgow 1983

Last concert - Shellac @ SWG3 Glasgow Dec 19

Best concert - Impossible question... Maybe one of Sonic Youth round about 86, Bad Seeds round about 2004, Fugazi in early 2000's, Sigur Ros in 2009, Efterklang, A Silver Mt Zion, Low... I'm not good at making decisions like that... Bob Mould? The Smiths were quite good.... I don't know...

Loudest concert - Maybe Swans, although Sonic Youth (in smaller venues), Dinosaur Jr, Mogwai and Mono get honourable mentions

Worst concert - Hmmm... Manic Street Preachers in King Tuts - lured by the hype - shite wannabe punk. To be fair there's probably been a lot worse. Pixies on their re-union tour a few years ago were a big disappointment.

Seen the most - Sonic Youth probably, although Low must be getting close

Most fun concert - remember supporting Jad Fair at the Cathouse in Glasgow, we ripped the utter pish out of him because he was cheeky about the amp he borrowed from me.

Most Surprising concert - Maybe the first time I saw Efterklang - utterly superb - I did't know how much I liked them until I saw them live, but loads of other wee bands - remember seeing Mogwai in a pub in Glasgow when they were wee guys and instantly realising they were something special

Next concert - Angel Olsen at Barrowlands, Feb, then A Winged Victory For The Sullen in March. Not going to Explosions In The Sky because it's two days before Angel and concerts are too expensive now...

Wish I had seen - The New Year, Bedhead, Codeine, The Afghan Whigs, Do Make Say Think... Loads....

Craziest concert - Vague memories of watching Blur while lying on top of a Transit at Reading 93. Echo & The Bunnymen in Portree 1983 - Skye didn't know what had hit it... Mogwai, Perth Theatre in 2011 - I guy stage dived from the balcony...

Wish I'd kept a gig diary....

I knew you'd come up with something interesting 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom