Andyjr1515 Q1'20 Challenge - a little Rascal!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Really interested in hearing how those Artec lipsticks perform! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Sarge said:
    Really interested in hearing how those Artec lipsticks perform! 
    Well on my electric valve amp and through my little PA they sound great. :)  

The major test is going to be when Mike get's it back because he will be able to do a side-by-side comparison with the real ones.  I'm going to try to persuade him to do some A/B recordings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Lovely stuff. The CTS push pull pots come apart pretty much the same way as the standard ones. I've swapped the tracks for different tapers a couple of times now
    normula1 said:
    Lovely stuff. The CTS push pull pots come apart pretty much the same way as the standard ones. I've swapped the tracks for different tapers a couple of times now
    Yes - it looks similar from the pot point of view.  But this one is going back - it really isn't right and not usable in any context.  

Pity - I know folks are convinced that CTS pots are a bit variable nowadays depending where they have been made, but this is actually the first duff one I personally ever had - and I've used dozens and dozens over the years.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I have an old SIlvertone bass with original lipstick tube pickups and it sounds great.  I'm sure yours will.
    edited January 2020
    And - finished, ready to return to it's owner.  Picked up a gig bag this morning to pass it over sometime next week.

Frets levelled, re-crowned and polished; CTS duff pot replaced; bridge fixed (putting a couple of black crosshead screws in the old fixing holes); tuners fitted and set-up.

So this:

Became this:

With this left over:

And this ^ then became this:

Time for a cup of tea

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27539
    Yeah, s'pose it's OK.

;)

I *think* I just about prefer the first one due to the lovely piece of timber for the body.  But the second isn't so far behind!

Now you've got that out of the way, time to put together  a quick acoustic for the Q1 challenge???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

Now you've got that out of the way, time to put together  a quick acoustic for the Q1 challenge???
    Well, I have actually got something in mind (although a bit easier than an acoustic - in the words of the great and late TJ, you are a naughty, naughty boy ;) ).

Trouble is, I need to find an affordable 30" bass neck, otherwise it isn't much of a 'bitsa'.  I'll have another scour...  :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27539
    :D 

Excellent - always enjoy watching your builds!  I have another something tentatively planned too ... though I need the jamjar amp kit to arrive
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    :D 

Excellent - always enjoy watching your builds!  I have another something tentatively planned too ... though I need the jamjar amp kit to arrive
    ;)
    :)

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Awesome stuff !!