Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

100% Dark Chocolate - not sure

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
Nibbling my way through a bar of Absolute Black by Montezuma’s- its 100% cocoa and no sugar and genuinely not sure if I am enjoying it. It is intense flavour and I am finding that 1/3 of each square is about as much as you need to get it. It also slightly drys your mouth our so a glass of water on hand is good. Having 2 squares is about as much as it gets. 
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    I do like 90%dark chocolate. Not seen 100%. 
    What’s the carb content?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    100% is evil. It sucks all the moisture out of your mouth. Deeply unpleasant stuff. I bought it once, virtually the whole thing went in the bin.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It varies. The Montezuma is the most edible 100% I've tried. I had another brand last year for Christmas and it was like eating coal. 

85% - 90% is where I live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I guess it's not for Western style consumption. I think indigenous cultures are more likely to use pure chocolate in other things - cooking, spiced hot chocolate, etc. Not for snacking.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    I remember buying a box of a selection if dark chocolate in Bruges, each bit was marked with the different type and %ge. Eating it felt like indulging in a weird chemistry experiment. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    100% is not nice, I can eat it, but usually end up drinking some milk afterwards to balance off the aftertaste.  Which defeats the point of having 100% chocolate. I might as well eat milk chocolate and enjoy it more.
    100% is not nice, I can eat it, but usually end up drinking some milk afterwards to balance off the aftertaste.  Which defeats the point of having 100% chocolate. I might as well eat milk chocolate and enjoy it more.
    Milk chocolate is disgusting. Sickly sweet. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:

Any chocolate with milk in is milk chocolate - including 95 percenters. 

I don't like these, but I'm not sure if it's because I don't like 100 percent cocoa or because it's low quality. I have had some awful 90 percent chocolate (lindtt) and some really nice ones (one from a chocolatier at a market, no idea where they sourced their raw ingredients). I suspect it's like coffee - there are good, specialty producers and lots of nasty stuff floating around, plus an extra layer of complexity for how the chocolate is then produced from the raw materials. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    TheMarlin said:
    You are sterotyping milk chocolate with crap chocolate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Apparently, chocolate can improve sexual performance.

Please form an orderly queue.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27061
    Completely agree. I like a good 80-90% when in the mood, but most of the time something around 60-70% is plenty. It's supposed to be a treat, not a punishment! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Instead of eating a bar of 90%+ dark chocolate, make a batch of brownies using a couple of eggs, sweetener (Stevia is a good one), coconut flour and some extract of your choice.

I made some chocolate orange brownies last week using a bar of the extra dark stuff and they were seriously un-friggin-believable. Dead easy to make as well.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Dopesick said:
    Instead of eating a bar of 90%+ dark chocolate, make a batch of brownies using a couple of eggs, sweetener (Stevia is a good one), coconut flour and some extract of your choice.

I made some chocolate orange brownies last week using a bar of the extra dark stuff and they were seriously un-friggin-believable. Dead easy to make as well.
    Sounds too much like a Lamington which can be fatal if ingested in huge amounts.
    edited January 2020
    TheMarlin said:
    You are sterotyping milk chocolate with crap chocolate. 
    I don’t like any milk chocolate. It’s my own opinion, but I find it to be nasty stuff.  I’m not into sweet things, except maybe a REALLY good black cherry gelato in the summer.  
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5516
    I love dark chocolate but really don't fancy trying 100%. 70-80% is just fine.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    I bought one of these just to say I've tried it. I'll be staying down at 72%-85% from now on. Marks and Spencers do a nice range of stuff from different countries, all hugely different in taste.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    Montezuma 100% is my favourite, plus I occasionally buy the one with almonds and the one with the orange bits to change things up a bit. They make a bar with orange and geranium, which sounds rather hippy-ish, but is amazing if you can find any for sale anywhere. 

I only have upto 4 squares of this at a time in the evening with a coffee and a handful of Brazil nuts, and is much healthier than a milk chocolate bar, which taste sickly sweet to me now.

100% sounds scary, but if you approach it as something different to milk chocolate, you may just become a convert. 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• Fuengi said:
    It varies. The Montezuma is the most edible 100% I've tried. I had another brand last year for Christmas and it was like eating coal. 

85% - 90% is where I live. 
    This. I don't know how Montezuma do it but their 100% is rather special. Other 100%s I've tried are basically good for cooking and nothing else. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    I remember buying a box of a selection if dark chocolate in Bruges, each bit was marked with the different type and %ge. Eating it felt like indulging in a weird chemistry experiment. 
    I had a selection box too at Christmas ,it was galaxy 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I bought one of these just to say I've tried it.
    That’s exactly why I bought a bar
    skay said:
    Montezuma 100% is my favourite, plus I occasionally buy the one with almonds and the one with the orange bits to change things up a bit. They make a bar with orange and geranium, which sounds rather hippy-ish, but is amazing if you can find any for sale anywhere. 
    That thought crossed my mind too- this might be rather good if it had a little something just to offset its ‘full on’ nature
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024