Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice needed Gibson tribute

What's Hot

Hi everyone, new here but will definitely be a regular visitor. Was hoping to get some advice. I mainly play rock and metal, have a Jackson, and an Ibanez and wanted a guitar without the trem lock for more general playing.

Have seen a couple of Gibsons on Thomann.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_tribute_worn_ebony.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_tribute_2019_seb.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    Good to hear from new members - so hang on in there and join in when you can

In my opinion for around £600 ish I'd look at a decent used Gibson LP Studio - Some are offered with gig bags, some a case, but around £600-700 you should find a good clean example with no issues

Most have trapezoid inlays - some chrome some gold hardware - Most are gloss finish, but they offered a more budget version with satin finish

I think with used, you get more guitar for the same buck and far less depreciation if you ever wish to sell at a later late
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Good to see new visitors - so hang on in and join in

In my opinion for around £600 ish I'd look at a decent used Gibson LP Studio - Some are offered with gig bags, some a case, but around £600-700 you should find a good clean example with no issues

Most have trapezoid inlays - some chrome some gold hardware - Most are gloss finish, but they offered a more budget version with satin finish
    Absolutely this. 
    There are a few Studio Tributes around for that too. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • escoces said:

Hi everyone, new here but will definitely be a regular visitor. Was hoping to get some advice. I mainly play rock and metal, have a Jackson, and an Ibanez and wanted a guitar without the trem lock for more general playing.

Have seen a couple of Gibsons on Thomann.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_tribute_worn_ebony.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_tribute_2019_seb.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Thanks

I personally don't believe Gibsons at that price-point are worth it. You're paying US labour dollars but for a guitar with none of the additional refinements to make it proportionally worthwhile. In short, that Gibson logo represents too high a percentage of the guitar's price.

For £700 there's basically not a H-H hardtail on the market that isn't better-specced.

My recommendation? PRS SE245.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    edited February 2020
    If it has to be a gibson I'd definitely go for a second hand Studio as others have advised.
    If gibson isn't a must than LTD EC series are a great alternative. I recently bought an ec 256 in distressed black with a retrofitted set of Duncans and this guitar simply sings. We're talking about 350 quid vs. double money if you were buying a gibbo. Honestly not a single thing I don't like about the LTD and I owned guitars 10 times the money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I personally don't believe Gibsons at that price-point are worth it. You're paying US labour dollars but for a guitar with none of the additional refinements to make it proportionally worthwhile. In short, that Gibson logo represents too high a percentage of the guitar's price.

For £700 there's basically not a H-H hardtail on the market that isn't better-specced.

My recommendation? PRS SE245.
    I agree that the PRS SE models offer a very good option - If not the best, then certainly amongst the best far Eastern models and very consistent with regards to set-up/build quality/playing performance
  • Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. It doesn't have to be a Gibson, Having played (badly) for many years I just fancied getting a more iconic guitar. Tried one of the Mexican fender player HSS strats but was not overly impressed so thought Gibson might be better suited and saw the ones I posted were on offer.

Second hand is always an option but not sure I want to go down that road as not really an expert on what to look for.

Happy to look at any other suggestions though

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    I have a prs  se245 and Gibson play tribute 50s and the se245 is a super guitar for the money unless the Gibson badge is worth twice the cost s/h
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    escoces said:

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. It doesn't have to be a Gibson, Having played (badly) for many years I just fancied getting a more iconic guitar. Tried one of the Mexican fender player HSS strats but was not overly impressed so thought Gibson might be better suited and saw the ones I posted were on offer.

Second hand is always an option but not sure I want to go down that road as not really an expert on what to look for.

Happy to look at any other suggestions though

Fully understand anyone looking at used guitars and having some doubts - Your hands and ears are still the best way to evaluate any guitar - I guarantee, that no matter how good you think you are, or indeed think you are not,  about your playing skills and indeed any product knowledge, that you will be able to tell the difference about 2 guitars, with regards to which feels right, plays right and sounds right - So believe in what your hands and ears tell you

Other areas to check about a used guitar - After playing it to check how it feels/plays/sounds - Then check pots, jack socket, machine heads/tuning, then if it plays okay, then chances are the guitar is fine

Not sure where you live and which good dealers are near you but many good dealers should be able to help you 

Buying privately - Then Reverb, E-bay, etc will be hit 'n' miss - I've seen good + bad examples - I would hope/expect that any guitar offered via FB should have no issues

Buying a new Gibson from a box shifter, that has not been played, or checked, since leaving the USA can also come with issues - But you have the option to return if required
  • Id jump on one of these, great price at £630, comes with a case, should be a nice guitar and studios are over £1100 for the latest ones

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lp_studio_2016_hp_wr_gh_440657.htm

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I had the Tribute and I wouldn't say it's a good quality guitar at all.

Compared to Asian-made guitars in the same price range, it is so bare-bones and stripped down and the quality control is poor, there was a dent out the fingerboard for example.

Gibson just overcharge so much for their normal guitars that their idea of a sub-£1000 guitar is as minimal specs as possible and seems like it would have to be snapped in half not to pass their quality inspection.
  • Interested in the PRS SE245. There seem to be different versions and different prices. Any particular one I should be looking at?

darhart said:

That is a nice looking guitar
  • Not sure about the new Tributes as I've not played one, but I had a 2017 Tribute brand new. I had to have it set up as it wasn't quite perfect to start with, but it was a great guitar otherwise. I found the rounded neck (50s profile) on mine a tad challenging on one or two songs and for a Les Paul it had quite a trebly harshness to it.

If you're going from an Ibanez, I'd look for a LP with a 60s slim taper neck which will be a bit more manageable.

A good alternative is an ESP LTD Eclipse at a similar price point -  the necks have a more modern profile.
  • thegummy said:

Compared to Asian-made guitars in the same price range, it is so bare-bones and stripped down and the quality control is poor, there was a dent out the fingerboard for example.

Gibson just overcharge so much for their normal guitars that their idea of a sub-£1000 guitar is as minimal specs as possible and seems like it would have to be snapped in half not to pass their quality inspection.

Thanks, had no idea Gibson offered such poor value for money at this price point

• rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    darhart said:
    Id jump on one of these, great price at £630, comes with a case, should be a nice guitar and studios are over £1100 for the latest ones

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lp_studio_2016_hp_wr_gh_440657.htm

All gone.....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    edited February 2020

Now this has got to be worth a look...ditch the g-force thingy if you like but they work.

Re Gibson quality, to a certain extent you're paying for the name but you do that with Porsche or Mercedes-Benz too.  I've bought a number of recent LP models and none have had any QC issues.  The last one I bought - a 2019 LP Special - is faultless.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I know its a bit of a rabbit hole but worth keeping your eye out for a decent Greco mint collection. They do come up at that price point if you look around and build quality will be up there with some Gibson custom shop stuff. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    escoces said:
    thegummy said:

Thanks, had no idea Gibson offered such poor value for money at this price point

Thats Gibson in a nutshell though it seems. 

I've seen R8's on here that wouldnt be up to standard really for the price paid. But you'd have had to take the pickups out to really see any issue. Could have been a couple one offs mind. 

Seems like they are definitely a brand you'd want to inspect in the flesh beforehand considering the price. 
    That said, it goes for most if not all brands really. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • I would echo the PRS comments here. An SE is a lovely guitar for the money. That being said, I would advise getting down to your local shop or dealer and trying a few things out, as many as you can really! 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I had a 2012 studio tribute. It was a superb instrument. Only problem with it was it then opened the gibson door, which became very expensive.