Best amp head for clean and pedals?

What's Hot

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3470
    edited February 2020
    StefB said:
    Laney Lionheart L50H if you can find one, and the matching 2x12 or 4x12. 

A rig for life and the bonus of a superb drive channel too, even if you’ll never use it, and footswitchable reverb. 
    I couldn't have said it better...except to consider the L20H too. Both are superb. You'll also be left with £600-700 change if you get the head second hand!
    As an L20H owner, it will *not* do big clean sounds. Amazing overdrives, but it just does not have the headroom for the cleans.
    I have to disagree. Mine sounds superb for cleans. Kari Basillo, Bjorn Riis don't mind the cleans either.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Jonathanthomas83 said:

I have to disagree. Mine sounds superb for cleans. Kari Basillo, Bjorn Riis don't mind the cleans either.
    Superb, yes - but will it do big clean sounds at gig volume with a drummer? No 20W amp I've ever heard will. You just need more power than that.

The 50W one will though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's the gigging thing that I missed, apologies. In that case, I agree.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    No feedback from the OP? Why not discuss your requirements in more detail?
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    £700 for a return flight to California. £300 to rent a van. Ram raid Alexander Dumbles gaff and steal all his Dumbles.  Sorted.

Bugger, I've not accounted for shipping the amps back. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    AndyJP said:
    £700 for a return flight to California. £300 to rent a van. Ram raid Alexander Dumbles gaff and steal all his Dumbles.  Sorted.

Bugger, I've not accounted for shipping the amps back. 
    You've also not factored in HAD' s  work rate. Might not be a single amp there for nicking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited February 2020
    Lol!  True. 

Does he still make amps? I read he was into soemthing else that's a bit crazy. I think he's into gold panning. So maybes he's got a house  full of gold instead of amps now

Sorry for derailing your thread!

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    The Laney LA30BL is an amazing amp, and works so well with pedals. I love mine. The head is about £780ish though, so unless you find a used head and cab combo, or already have a cab, it will be over budget. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited March 2020
    nick79 said:
    The Laney LA30BL is an amazing amp, and works so well with pedals. I love mine. The head is about £780ish though, so unless you find a used head and cab combo, or already have a cab, it will be over budget. 
    Rich Tone have a used head & cab for £699. Sadly most folk will buy anything else before considering a Laney though :-(

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/laney-la30bl-black-country-valve-amp-head-and-la212-cabinet-2nd-hand-ylaney93764/#
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Just been reading this thread,  I think a Peavey Heritage might be the ultimate in value for clean and loud pedal goodness...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-amp-day-peavey-heritage-vtx-series.649359/page-3
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    StefB said:
    nick79 said:
    Rich Tone have a used head & cab for £699. Sadly most folk will buy anything else before considering a Laney though :-(

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/laney-la30bl-black-country-valve-amp-head-and-la212-cabinet-2nd-hand-ylaney93764/#
    That's the answer then right there. 
    You're right though, people haven't cottoned on to just how good that amp is. I keep going on about it but i love mine, best amp i've had and its a keeper. 

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    StefB said:
    nick79 said:

Conveniently, now nothing is selling, Rich Tone are miraculously able to offer shipping on valve amps.  The caveat is that the previous prices have gone through the roof.

Their second hand LA30 half stack was reduced as far as £679.00 last week because it wasn't shifting - it is now £799.00 but they will post, how generous - https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/laney-la30bl-black-country-valve-amp-head-and-la212-cabinet-2nd-hand-ylaney93764/

Similar principle applies to the used Traynor YCM40 that was £189.00 last week - now £249.00.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    The Marshall Origin takes pedals (not all though) quite well.
    So far the Friedman BE OD ,Boss SD-1 (monte Allums mod),Line 6 Dll 4 in the fx loop or straight through to the input sound great.
    My EHX soul food just doesn't sound right on my origin however sounds excellent through my old JCM 800 Combo
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    StefB said:
    StefB said:
    nick79 said:

Conveniently, now nothing is selling, Rich Tone are miraculously able to offer shipping on valve amps.  The caveat is that the previous prices have gone through the roof.

Their second hand LA30 half stack was reduced as far as £679.00 last week because it wasn't shifting - it is now £799.00 but they will post, how generous - https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/laney-la30bl-black-country-valve-amp-head-and-la212-cabinet-2nd-hand-ylaney93764/

Similar principle applies to the used Traynor YCM40 that was £189.00 last week - now £249.00.
    Yes I saw the Laney go back up to £799. Curious.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Postage, packing and insurance maybe
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    edited March 2020
    Burman Pro2000HD 100w head if you can find one - about 400 quid or go for the 502 2x12 combo for maybe 600 and have 400 to spend on signal chain. Great pedal platform, neutral sounding amp but with typical valve warmth and crystal clarity if you need it thanks to the build quality.

Otherwise, noone has given Roland a shout - JC120 combo for 500 quid on Reverb right now.
    https://reverb.com/item/32734198-roland-jc-120

The heads are a little harder to come by unfortunately.

[This space for rent]

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2020
    I’ve used a Blackstar Artisan 30. It’s amazing. But really heavy. But half of the time I’m in half power mode. I’ve never seen anything like it for sheer glassy headroom. Plus the oversized cabinet is good for low end thump. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I still swear by my Sound City 50+
  • A really nice solid stater would be my choice. I was impressed with a few demos of the Crush 120 I was watching on Dave Simpsons YouTube channel.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    I think it depends what you are trying to achieve as well.

I have a DLS which sounds great into the Katana but horrible into the Origin.

The TI boost does very little for the Katana but the Origin loves it.