Shielding Strat scratchplate

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    It's all done. Will string it up tomorrow but the tap test on the pickups all works as it should. Only problem I had is the new jack socket is too big for the cavity. As per photo, the jack in my hands is the original, the new one is bigger and so won't fit. Any tips?

Massive thanks to @ICBM for all your help and advice. Sorry if I was annoying with all my questions but I really am grateful. The taper reamer worked perfectly for enlarging the pot holes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Does it fit if you set it with the spring part pointing directly down into the cavity? It should do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Does it fit if you set it with the spring part pointing directly down into the cavity? It should do.

Not sure. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I guess the orientation of the socket in the cavity doesn't matter, which I'd not thought about.

Really pleased to say it all works perfectly. There's no longer any buzz that there used to be, switches and pots all work well and the Pribora Voodoo pickups sound lovely. Very pleased
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Well done! These things can be a struggle the first time you do them, but once done you will have learned a lot and there's a great sense of achievement when it all works :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Nice job. Have you tried lowering the pickups? They look quite high? 
    Wolfetone said:
    Nice job. Have you tried lowering the pickups? They look quite high? 

Yes I think they need lowering...will do that. Also on the neck pickup the magnet under the B string sits just below the pickup cover. Not sure if it's meant to or not. Sounds ace though!
  • Great thread - has inspired me to shield my Squier, which has been noisy from day one back in '92!
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308

Following on from this, I need to make some improvements to my Telecaster, which is quite buzzy.

I probably don’t want to go down the route of totally shielding the cavity (not initially anyway), but I definitely want to replace the wires going between the volume pot and the jack socket.

At the risk of sounding a bit dim, what type of shielded cable do I need to get? Could someone point me in the right direction? So I need two lengths of shielded cable that I then twist together for maximum noise reduction?