‘Mids heavy’ wah recommendations please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Does the BMF was come with the extra boards or do you buy them separately? I can't seem to see anything on availability or pricing of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffa said:
    Does the BMF was come with the extra boards or do you buy them separately? I can't seem to see anything on availability or pricing of them.
    You just took the words out of my mouth. It looks as though you just custom order the board you want but it seems to be a waste if you can’t buy the others to switch to. Might email them.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Emailed them.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Emailed them.
    Cool, let me know. Only thing I have found was a reference on Joe's Pedals site about getting in touch about the other boards

https://joespedals.com/collections/pedals/products/wah
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6702
    edited June 2020
    the_jaffa said:
    You just took the words out of my mouth. It looks as though you just custom order the board you want but it seems to be a waste if you can’t buy the others to switch to. Might email them.
    You order them separately from Scott at BMF. All the wahs on sale from dealers are the stock Boomerang version - which is bloody great.

EDIT: Don't know if Joe is going to carry a stock of the boards but I got my wah from him. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Any word on a price for the other boards?
  • The Colorsound/Clappers board sounds great in demos.
    edited June 2020
    Just going back over my chats with Scott at BMF when I got my pedal the actual price didn't get mentioned. Doubt they are much though. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Hope not, be nice to have a few options. The stock board is very close to what I want though.
    Yep I bought mine with a view to getting the old vox board but fell in love with the stock version. 

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited June 2020
    TTBZ said:
    The Petrucci and Cantrell signature Crybabies sound pretty good to me. I haven't actually played the Petrucci one but like how it sounds in demos, really throaty. The Cantrell one has a knob which adjusts how bright the toe down position gets, so you can lose the screechy top end.

I just don't understand why Dunlop choose not to put true or buffered bypass on all their wahs though. Their standard bypass kills your high end and sustain in my experience.

You can tweak the rack n pinion a notch or two on a basic crybaby to make it less screechy when toe fully down. Or vice versa. 
    I've mod'd mine a bit. Doesn't sound massively different but IMHO better. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    TTBZ said:
    The Petrucci and Cantrell signature Crybabies sound pretty good to me. I haven't actually played the Petrucci one but like how it sounds in demos, really throaty. The Cantrell one has a knob which adjusts how bright the toe down position gets, so you can lose the screechy top end.

I just don't understand why Dunlop choose not to put true or buffered bypass on all their wahs though. Their standard bypass kills your high end and sustain in my experience.

You can tweak the rack n pinion a notch or two on a basic crybaby to make it less screechy when toe fully down. Or vice versa. 
    I've mod'd mine a bit. Doesn't sound massively different but IMHO better. 
    Cantrell out of the box is one of the more mid and deep heavy wahs, very much on the left hand side of the EQ than the right hand side which is the hammet wah
  • jeroenvanhulsteijnjeroenvanhulsteijn Frets: 67
    edited June 2020
    tekbow said:
    See if you can get a clone of a boomerang wah.

They seem to have an extended mid range transition/hump or however wah pedals do it. So rather than that snap/whacka you get when bumping over it on CB/Vox style what's, you get a very vocal, expressive place to play.

I have a Joe Gagan Faux boomer. That one is modeled after the boomerang wah. Drop in kit will cost you around $90 USD i think (Ebay)

Gagan makes great wahs in all kind of flavors.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1264
    edited July 2020
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
     + budda wah (I have the black label) 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    tekbow said:
    See if you can get a clone of a boomerang wah.

They seem to have an extended mid range transition/hump or however wah pedals do it. So rather than that snap/whacka you get when bumping over it on CB/Vox style what's, you get a very vocal, expressive place to play.

I have a Joe Gagan Faux boomer. That one is modeled after the boomerang wah. Drop in kit will cost you around $90 USD i think (Ebay)

Gagan makes great wahs in all kind of flavors.
    It was Joe that got me into Boomers, he's an acquaintance of mine. He restored one Boomerang II for me and modded a second, those mods being an early version of what he offers in the kits.

It was him that relayed to me most of the info I detailed.

I'd highly recommend his kits or modded wahs
  • ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    The BMF wah is awesome. I currently use a Friedman wah but the BMF will be back in the stable soon