NPD / Mini Review: Jam Pedals Delay Llama Xtreme

What's Hot

Comments

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Paul_C said:

How many delay pedals is too many ?

Asking for a friend.
    N+2 is too many, N+1 is the ideal number. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Really fancying one of these, though board space is the only reason I’ve yet to take the plunge. This review has me closer though, glad you like it Gav.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7163
    Kylef said:
    Really fancying one of these, though board space is the only reason I’ve yet to take the plunge. This review has me closer though, glad you like it Gav.
    I genuinely don’t think it’d be possible to be disappointed. I think it’s that good. My *only* complaint is that you can’t (yet) control feedback with expression pedal. That’s it. Otherwise it’s perfect tbh. I’ve asked them to try and implement the above somehow :D
  • It's arrived!

https://i.imgur.com/08tQ0c4.jpg

It is rather lovely. I didn't get a paisley bag like Gav did though. Favouritism at its worse, I say ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @colourofsound yeah but at least they got yours to you quickly
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Great review. I have a Thermae and a Volante but keep gassing for another delay. Been thinking of getting either an analogman ardx20, a meet Maude or the new diamond memory lane deluxe (whenever it is ready). 

I think this may have to go on the list of contenders. I have always ruled it out because of the awful colours but might have to reconsider.

Would you rate it above all those other options?

Anyone know how much a custom paint job is?!
    I might be the biggest fan of the Meet Maude that you’ll find, and yeah, I’d put this above. I totally understand where you’re coming from on the aesthetic... all I can say is that it’s not as bad in the flesh, and somehow stops being quite so obnoxious after a while. The sound of it more than makes up for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Was very interesting to see the comparison to the Thermae. I’m a little bit in love with using the Thermae as just a modulated delay at the moment. The LPF is really special. It does get out of hand easily though and I am basically clueless about how any of the rest of it works. The options on the Delay Lama do seem pretty perfect.  
    Managed to win one of the extremes in the Lending a Hand auction so should have that in a couple of months! 
  • Just to say that my DLX arrived today, and I’ve had only 30 mins with it, but everything @GavRichList said is bang on. This is such a beautiful-sounding delay, gorgeous warm repeats, and the 3 Xtreme modes I’ve tried (Vibrato, Tape and Pitch) are tremendous, especially the pitch mode, stunning and bubbly (especially with a bit of plate reverb). Stacking this with my Timeline and Big Sky is going to be stupid amounts of fun.
    thoroughly endorse the above 
    My lending a hand pedal arrived this week. Only had an hour or so with it but you were on the money with this review. I think with the option of presets this will be the only delay on my board. 
  • pedalo said:
    My lending a hand pedal arrived this week. Only had an hour or so with it but you were on the money with this review. I think with the option of presets this will be the only delay on my board. 
    Pleased you agree! Always a concern when you go all in on a recommendation 
  • pedalo said:
    Pleased you agree! Always a concern when you go all in on a recommendation 
    No concern necessary, still unbelievably happy with mine.
  • its a great Delay, certainly. my only complaint is that you cant control delay feedback with an expression pedal. 
    I don't think I can think of anything else I need from it. It does more than I need if anything. I probably won't use random mode ever. I don't use the pitch shifting on thermae as it is too complicated for me so I like how the pitch shifting is much easier on this one. 

Confession: I actually bid on the Delay Llama basic model as well and won. I didn't mean to win both but felt I should honour them since it was for charity and I'm pretty chuffed I have the smaller version for a different board!
    I’ve actually started taking to the regular version more recently. I can see myself using that for regular delay and my Thermae for modulated delay. 

Think I still need time with the first two extreme settings to see whether or not I prefer those to the thermae. But the stand alone delay is definitely perfect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great review Gav, and intersting comments from all...