Have you been playing more acoustic?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    still mostly acoustic, but picking up the electric a bit more now too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I've probably played less of acoustic, electric and drums since lockdown.

I worked from home mostly anyway, so used to find time during the week to practice and record whilst I was the only one in. Now though, my wife is also working from home and due to a small house, there's nowhere I can play that wouldn't disturb her working. She's crazy busy so at her computer 7-7 5 days a week.

Weekends I've been busy with DIY or gardening, though I have found some time to play.

There's also been no band practices or gigs

What guitar I have played has been acoustic though
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    edited July 2020
    Yes, to the detriment of my bank account. I decided to get a decent acoustic to learn some fun fingerpicking bits etc during lockdown, as I haven't owned an acoustic for a while (and have never owned a high-end one)....

One Brook Torridge, one Bourgeois OMC, and a Yamaha LS26 later....

I really need to sell at least one.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    @danny_777 you mentioned selling the Burgeoois OMC as the LS26 was amazing, in what respect/criteria are you basing this? Curious as I now also have a trio of nice acoustics (Avalon, SCGC OM, Martin J-18) and can't quite bring myself to sell any. They're all very nice and I know I'd probably miss them if I sold them.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Sort of, yes. I bought a Fender Acoustasonic just before lockdown. It actually has a very adequate unplugged sound, and I've found it a very interesting guitar to mess around with both unplugged, and plugged into an Amp.
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    @danny_777 you mentioned selling the Burgeoois OMC as the LS26 was amazing, in what respect/criteria are you basing this? Curious as I now also have a trio of nice acoustics (Avalon, SCGC OM, Martin J-18) and can't quite bring myself to sell any. They're all very nice and I know I'd probably miss them if I sold them.
    Well I really need to sell at least one as my acoustic playing abilities barely justify any one of these guitars, and I don't quite have the space for these (and my other 20....).

No criteria per se, just sat playing them all for 6 hours and thinking to myself which one I can bear to part with (and what would make the most sense, financially).
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    Yes. I'm playing much more acoustic since lockdown. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

danny_777 said:
    Well I really need to sell at least one as my acoustic playing abilities barely justify any one of these guitars, and I don't quite have the space for these (and my other 20....).

No criteria per se, just sat playing them all for 6 hours and thinking to myself which one I can bear to part with (and what would make the most sense, financially).
  • LoootherLooother Frets: 1
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, and only signed up because I've been playing a lot more acoustic since lockdown. In particular I've taken my fingerpicking skills from extraordinarily basic to just extremely basic, and had a lot of fun in the process. I've now bought a significantly better guitar than the £200 Vintage which was all I had previously, which means playing is a lot more pleasurable, but also that all bad noises are definitely my fault.
    Looother said:
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, and only signed up because I've been playing a lot more acoustic since lockdown. In particular I've taken my fingerpicking skills from extraordinarily basic to just extremely basic, and had a lot of fun in the process. I've now bought a significantly better guitar than the £200 Vintage which was all I had previously, which means playing is a lot more pleasurable, but also that all bad noises are definitely my fault.
    Welcome to TFB @Looother!! ;

I have had the same experience, higher end guitars seem to bring out technical errors when playing a bit more than run of the mill budget acoustics. 
  • I only have acoustics and have no managed to play them more. Much to my extreme frustration! However, when I do get a chance to play it sounds better than before. I have no idea what’s going on but my fingerpicking has got a whole lot more interesting. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I am!

I've been playing (badly) for 16 years and this is the first time that I've been properly giving acoustic a go.

I'm lucky enough to have a mahogany concert and a rosewood dreadnought, so it has been lovely switching between the two.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I almost exclusively play acoustics. However, very recently I got an urge to try fingerstyle on solid body electrics.

After a bit of research I bought a relatively cheap new Revelation  RJTL DLX (based on the Jazzmaster) lefty and it has worked really well, despite the narrow 43mm nut width.

Then I went for a lefty Variax 500 on eBay in great condition - which has a 42mm nut width but didn't feel uncomfortable for fingerstyle. This opens up a huge range of possibilities to experiment with (particularly coupled with the Line 6 XT live which I also went for).

However, I can't see myself deserting acoustics. You can't beat the tone, shape, convenience and feel of the vibrations of an acoustic when playing.
    One of the things I’ve really locked into is acoustic fingerstyle blues. Incredibly hard but very rewarding to get right. Found johns lessons at blues guitar institute brilliantly but I often spend a week or more on a single lesson. My electrics are still in their cases and make an occasional appearance but it’s about 80/20 at the moment. 

I also find myself in a weird situation where I have three very fine acoustics, enjoy playing them all, can play different styles on all without issue and am convinced I don’t need them all but they each have such a different voice I can’t bring myself to. 
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    Yes, because I've sold all my electric gear.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.