Line 6 Helix HX Effects V Stompbox

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
Has Stompbox got all the same gubbin's as HX FX except with added amp modellers,is that the difference? 

what would be your choice in these two?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    TBH I am well sorted for pedals but what i could be doing with is a small unit for those days when i am on holiday in a caravan,hotel or jail
    tae be or not tae be
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Stomp is smaller. Has amp models. Is limited to 6blocks (will be 9 after next update ?) . 

They have different I/O options I think . 

FX can send midi, stomp cannot. 

@rossyamaha ; did a bloody good write up about the different applications and features of each product for prospective buyers. I'll see if I can find the the thread . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stomp is lovely to look at and to use 
    Thanks SG :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited September 2020
    Hootsmon said:
    TBH I am well sorted for pedals but what i could be doing with is a small unit for those days when i am on holiday in a caravan,hotel or jail
    Stomp has a headphone out and is considerably smaller than the HX Fx. The only thing the Stomp really lacks over the HX FX is scribble strips and the extended midi control via the command centre but, you DO get amp models and a headphone out. It's a cracking little unit and incredibly good value.
    Does the HX FX not have headphones out?
    tae be or not tae be
    I'd say stomp is one of the best purchases I've made on recent years. 
    Used as a travel toy (in a caravan) .
    Used as a multi-fx alone with an amp
    Used as a multi-fx along with pedals.
    Used as a micromixer with groovebox/ synths.

Currently used as a multi FX and IR loader with pedals and amp.

Could probably do a gig with just it. 
    It's going to be my pedal board and or amp backup if I ever gig again! 

• Hootsmon said:
    No. It doesn't. I'm very happy with my HXFX, but I don't see it as competition to the Stomp or full Helix. It's an MFX for people who like their own amps and want to connect effects to them in 4CM, maybe have some external pedals in the signal path as well and control some outboard units via MIDI. It does all of that pretty well. It's nice to have choices.
    can the amp models give you overdrive in much the same way as the OD pedal patches do?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    No, there's no amp sims in the FX so it would sound horrid. HX Fx makes sense if you are running into your own amp but the Stomp is the all in one solution that could be used standalone, either straight into headphones or PA / FRFR. You could also use it like an HXFX in front of an amp (or 4 cable method ) - just don't use an amp/ cab block. The effects are exactly the same in both units. 
    Beexter said:
    Hootsmon said:
    No, there's no amp sims in the FX so it would sound horrid. HX Fx makes sense if you are running into your own amp but the Stomp is the all in one solution that could be used standalone, either straight into headphones or PA / FRFR. You could also use it like an HXFX in front of an amp (or 4 cable method ) - just don't use an amp/ cab block. The effects are exactly the same in both units. 

could you not still use an amp/cab sim FOA with the Stomp?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    Beexter said:
    Hootsmon said:

You could if it sounds good to you but you'd save a "block" by not doing so. Currently the Stomp can only run 6 blocks total but this is rumoured to be increased in the next firmware update. 
    Hootsmon said:
    Beexter said:
    Hootsmon said:

You could run guitar into stomp > mod block > drive block > split signal (path A to front of a real amp / path B to a HX amp > IR)  then run path A to the real amp , and bath B to FOH .

Is that what you mean? 
    edited September 2020
    Is this possible........i just saw a Pat Metheny synth patch that may just have tipped me over the edge.....

I notice that these units can be run in the FX loop of an amp........

I have one of those mad pedalboards with the lids that can hide a multitude of sins...and hidden pedals....

If i had the Stompbox underneath my pealboard "lid" and primed to play the Pat Metheny patch could i control ( switch HX unit off and on for PM patch?)

See, the HX unit would be underneath my board and I'd need to be able to click on the PM patch.dig?
    tae be or not tae be
    I wonder is Santa is watchin'.......
    tae be or not tae be
    Or somebuddy needs some cds...........phfffft
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    Is this possible........i just saw a Pat Metheny synth patch that may just have tipped me over the edge.....

I notice that these units can be run in the FX loop of an amp........

I have one of those mad pedalboards with the lids that can hide a multitude of sins...and hidden pedals....

If i had the Stompbox underneath my pealboard "lid" and primed to play the Pat Metheny patch could i control ( switch HX unit off and on for PM patch?)

See, the HX unit would be underneath my board and I'd need to be able to click on the PM patch.dig?

Huh?
    tae be or not tae be
    OK I'll; try another one.....

I've read somewhere that sometimes you can't actually have all 6x FX on at a time depending on how power hungry a particular block is ......can i run boost/OD/amp/cab/delay/reverb?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    OK I'll; try another one.....

I've read somewhere that sometimes you can't actually have all 6x FX on at a time depending on how power hungry a particular block is ......can i run boost/OD/amp/cab/delay/reverb?
    Yep.
    Use a combined amp/ cab block and you could even squeeze another block in.
    DSP limits vary- for example,  some drive blocks use more processing power than others.