Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Samantha Fish

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Aye, my mate is a terrific guitar player, and no matter what he says, he is not as good as her...
    He looks ridiculous in a short skirt as well.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    I'm not her manager or anything.   But her voice has power and feeling beyond the General vacuous babes i find. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Don’t get me wrong, she’s better in every way than me, but I found it awfully bland. Most modern blues (of which this is drearily typical) just has no edge and nothing to say...
    I’d genuinely be interested to hear what modern musicians and in what genre you think do have an edge and something to say?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    The clips in this thread are pretty old, her recent stuff has more varied influences - roots, country, soul, old rock & roll.  She also looks a lot different nowadays.

I think she does have something about her, as a singer and a songwriter.  But I like the War Pigs cover best.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    She's very good but in a genre where there is a limited tolerance and audience these days ........being good isn't enough ;you have to be mega -outstanding .Yes ,she has a good voice but she's not Beth Hart and I think it has to be in that league .
     As far as guitar goes she's totally competant but again it has to be spectacular to be viable ( I'm not going to go down the rabbithole of who fills that category ).......not my kind of music .....but I have been wowed by Tedeschi Trucks and Beth Hart and Jobo when seeing them live . Love 'em or hate 'em they are the current definitive acts doing this kind of thing.
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Don’t get me wrong, she’s better in every way than me, but I found it awfully bland. Most modern blues (of which this is drearily typical) just has no edge and nothing to say...
    I’d genuinely be interested to hear what modern musicians and in what genre you think do have an edge and something to say?
    I’d struggle to pick anyone out at the moment, I’m having a torrid time trying to find anything that keeps me listening - this might speak more to my state of mind than the current suite of artists, but I can only speak as I find.

I’m currently enjoying some Jazz artists at the moment, preferably anything without vocals as I just find them hard to engage with.

It’s far from new but I REALLY liked Benjamin Clementine (I think?!) on Jools this week - reminded me of Bloc Party in vocal style but I liked the feel of the piano too. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:

I'm not doing a "who's best" thing but Kiwanuka does a great job of packaging up retro soul and blues and turning it into something modern.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    What’s not to like about Sam.
    Shes a great player love her cigar box and oilcan guitar playing.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I honestly don't see the point of trying to analyse all this. Seems to me that you either like something or you don't. You either like an artist, style, song etc or not. I liked her blues vid but I don't like the war pigs song period, even the original.  

All this stuff 're an edge and something to say is meaningless.  I don't think Bonamassa has anything to say but I don't dispute he's a great player even though I think he plays too many notes.  I've posted clips here that had a wide range of responses, and when others have posted clips some I like some I don't.

The Eagles are unbelievable musicians, but do they have something to say? And there's plenty who don't like Eagles and Steely Dan because their playing and songs and solos are too structured and they want something rawer.  Progressive bands can be an acquired taste. Some folk think Rush were the best trio of all time, others hate them. It's the same with any band, song, artist, guitarist, vocalist etc.  Some you like some you don't, some you grow to like, and some you liked you go off of. 

Just like what you like..none of us should ever have to defend or justify our tastes.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    I honestly don't see the point of trying to analyse all this. Seems to me that you either like something or you don't. You either like an artist, style, song etc or not. I liked her blues vid but I don't like the war pigs song period, even the original.  

All this stuff 're an edge and something to say is meaningless.  I don't think Bonamassa has anything to say but I don't dispute he's a great player even though I think he plays too many notes.  I've posted clips here that had a wide range of responses, and when others have posted clips some I like some I don't.

The Eagles are unbelievable musicians, but do they have something to say? And there's plenty who don't like Eagles and Steely Dan because their playing and songs and solos are too structured and they want something rawer.  Progressive bands can be an acquired taste. Some folk think Rush were the best trio of all time, others hate them. It's the same with any band, song, artist, guitarist, vocalist etc.  Some you like some you don't, some you grow to like, and some you liked you go off of. 

Just like what you like..none of us should ever have to defend or justify our tastes.  :)

On the other hand Il Divo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    She's OK.  I saw JST support Robin Trower a few years back and she was great live.  If you're looking for modern-day blues greats though, I saw Popa Chubby in London in Jan of this year.  He remains one of the standout contemporary blues guitarists for me.  Love his playing, and his tone is to die for.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited October 2020
    This is what it’s all about Fooking outstanding.
    https://youtu.be/tO-NHQkIRso
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    What do people think of Larkin Poe?
  • Mudcrutch said:
    This is what it’s all about Fooking outstanding.
    https://youtu.be/tO-NHQkIRso
    I'm sure Dante wrote something about being stuck on that cruise for eternity in The Divine Comedy.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1594
    merlin said:
    What do people think of Larkin Poe?
    I think they’re great. Saw them at a local festival here last summer. 
  • Best female band  , minus the two Janet’s one who died and another gone solo after an aneurism . Lorraine Lewis great on vocals though .

https://youtu.be/6cV1be5kN5Q