Recommend me a cartridge for my Rega Planar 3 turntable

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AllyAlly Frets: 64

TBH I'd say that unless you can pinpoint a flaw then leave as-is for now and live with it for a while. You do sound pretty happy with it so far. Unless anything is wrong, and from what you have so far, it looks like to make a significant upgrade, you'd need to spent a lot more than your budget allows. Any pics of your set-up and music space? Layout can make all-the-difference.

Must admit i'm in the same boat. Would really like to upgrade, but for the money I have, it's just not worth it. Money is tight and the wife is strict.

Maybe for now just use your budget on buying some records. You could even splash out on some audiophile recordings as they are pretty good.

It's great to hear you are enjoying records. I love the format - to the point I don't tend to buy music unless I can get it on vinyl. Most come with download codes anyway with the exception of Bill Callahan, but he's so good it doesn't matter.

Careful with the mastering as a lot of the new releases goes through a digital process at some point, so perhaps spend your money on a true analogue record: I've found it's worth it, although it can be more money, I think it's well worth it.

Vinyl is the way to go though if you care about music reproduction (in my opinion), so great to see you doing that. Looks like you've got a very good set-up so far, so just enjoy it: it'll last you far longer than a digital format.

On a side-not, one of my girls pals was round and was in the music room, and from what she was saying, it took me a minute to realise that she'd never seen a vinyl record. Blew my mind. I really felt old, and I also felt that the youth are being robbed.

I'm off to listen to records now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Ally said:

it took me a minute to realise that she'd never seen a vinyl record. Blew my mind. I really felt old, and I also felt that the youth are being robbed.

When I got my vinyl down from the loft, my kids said "Wow, MASSIVE CD's!".

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stevenewstevenew Frets: 38
    RobDavies said:
    Ally said:

it took me a minute to realise that she'd never seen a vinyl record. Blew my mind. I really felt old, and I also felt that the youth are being robbed.

When I got my vinyl down from the loft, my kids said "Wow, MASSIVE CD's!".

Bless them :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Ally said:

TBH I'd say that unless you can pinpoint a flaw then leave as-is for now and live with it for a while. You do sound pretty happy with it so far. Unless anything is wrong, and from what you have so far, it looks like to make a significant upgrade, you'd need to spent a lot more than your budget allows. Any pics of your set-up and music space? Layout can make all-the-difference.

Must admit i'm in the same boat. Would really like to upgrade, but for the money I have, it's just not worth it. Money is tight and the wife is strict.

Maybe for now just use your budget on buying some records. You could even splash out on some audiophile recordings as they are pretty good.

It's great to hear you are enjoying records. I love the format - to the point I don't tend to buy music unless I can get it on vinyl. Most come with download codes anyway with the exception of Bill Callahan, but he's so good it doesn't matter.

Careful with the mastering as a lot of the new releases goes through a digital process at some point, so perhaps spend your money on a true analogue record: I've found it's worth it, although it can be more money, I think it's well worth it.

Vinyl is the way to go though if you care about music reproduction (in my opinion), so great to see you doing that. Looks like you've got a very good set-up so far, so just enjoy it: it'll last you far longer than a digital format.

On a side-not, one of my girls pals was round and was in the music room, and from what she was saying, it took me a minute to realise that she'd never seen a vinyl record. Blew my mind. I really felt old, and I also felt that the youth are being robbed.

I'm off to listen to records now.

Thanks for this, @Ally.  It is actually fine as is, and I'd be only upgrading for the sake of it not because it's necessary.

I couldn't be happier listening to records. Besides sound quality, there is so much charm about them that CDs and especially downloads don't have.  There's nowt like going to the local record shop and flicking through what's available.  The other day I was in a charity shop looking at what they had when I guy came in and offloaded some of his collection.  I got first dibs and I managed to pull out 15 LPs, including Johnny Winter, The Beatles, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Free, Queen, and Fleetwood Mac.  Although opened, the version of Rumours was still shrink-wrapped and is like brand-new.  Not bad for 20p a pop.
    edited July 2014
    The other day I was in a charity shop looking at what they had when I guy came in and offloaded some of his collection.  I got first dibs and I managed to pull out 15 LPs, including Johnny Winter, The Beatles, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Free, Queen, and Fleetwood Mac.  Although opened, the version of Rumours was still shrink-wrapped and is like brand-new.  Not bad for 20p a pop.
    Wow you are real lucky, the charity shops round our way often have silly prices on vinyl, I have seen stuff at higher prices than 2nd hand vinyl shops. I do find the occasional bargain, i.e. a £20 LP for a fiver. 

Glad you are enjoying your Rega, yea, no need to upgrade the cartridge if it sounds good. I will speak to a few HiFi guru friends and see if they know which model the cartridge is. Generally you should get anywhere between 300-500 hours use on a new stylus before it starts to need replacing, this will of course depend on the condition of the vinyl and how careful you are with the stylus. Don't use vinyl when drunk, stick to CDs:-)

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    The cartridge will actually last you a hell of a lot longer, just the needle may need replacing.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    One other thing - avoid record cleaning fluids. They badly gum-up styli - Linn dealers used to provide a small strip of abrasive (genuinely!) which you could gently draw over the tip to clean it.
    The cartridge will actually last you a hell of a lot longer, just the needle may need replacing.

Yes of course I meant stylus! 

Except the on OP's Rega cartridge the stylus is not replaceable so he will eventually need a new cartridge. The downside of Rega cartridges & Moving Coil cartridges, which is why I have stopped using moving coil, too expensive to replace every couple of years.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited July 2014
    viz said:
    If you're going goldring, try to get the 2500 or at least the 2400 - you can get an ex demo (like 50 hours' use) for the same price as a new 2100. It's fabulous. Otherwise the black ortofon is good. Edit - just seen your budget. The red ortofon might be cheap enough, or the Audio Technicas.

Btw you record chaps, I recommend the "trackmate" - it's a cleaner that sits on the spindle and you basically wind it round the record.

@viz, if you do ever see an ex demo 2400 for the same price as a 2100, let me know, please.  I can't find one for less than £250 - a new 2100 is £99.
    Cheers lads.  @stevenew Yeah, there are couple of charity shops near me that might as well give them away, although there are others that are a little more savvy. And thanks, it'd be great if one of your HiFi buddies knows what the cartridge is; I'm dying to know whether it's an early Exact or not!  Because if it is, judging by the current model the tip should be diamond, which I'm guessing prevents deterioration and last longer.  Here's to hoping. 

As for cleaning, I just use those cloths you get free with glasses.  Is that good or bad?  Seems to get rid of any unwanted dust.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    beed84 said:

As for cleaning, I just use those cloths you get free with glasses.  Is that good or bad?  Seems to get rid of any unwanted dust.

I hope you mean cleaning the records and not stylus. 
    Stylus I've always used a cotton bud and some pure alcohol 
    beed84 said:

I hope you mean cleaning the records and not stylus. 
    Stylus I've always used a cotton bud and some pure alcohol 
    Yeah, for the records.  And I think I'll use your method for the stylus.  Thanks for the tip.  :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Hi @robdavies, i will check where i got mine and get back to ya
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited July 2014
    I wouldn't recommend using anything to clean records. The tracking weight on this type of arm and cartridge is usually sufficient to allow the stylus to dig out the dust which causes noise.

As long as you keep the stylus clean, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Wiping records with anything only tends to increase static, which attracts more dust.

The alcohol/cotton bud method of stylus cleaning needs care; the alcohol can affect the suspension of the stylus, causing it to harden, resulting in mistracking and distortion.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Linn recommend using a (dry) abrasive. I used this method for years on an expensive moving coil cartridge, with no ill-effects.

A 'proper' hi fi dealer (ie not a Richer Sounds/Superfi type chain) should be able to provide you with the correct stuff and demonstrate how to use it safely.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited July 2014
    Yep try to avoid alcohol because the stylus goes through a rubber grommet that hardens and hampers free movement if there's alcohol involved. I use the trackmate for the stylus as well as for the record - it has an anti-static felt mat at one end for stylus cleaning. You can drip a couple of drops of water on one side so you can give it a wash and a dry. You rest the stylus on it and pull the trackmate away, like the tablecloth trick, but very slowly and gently.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited July 2014
    @beed84 you will see that the debate as to what to clean records & stylus with is endless, every HiFi forum has been debating this for years:-)

Years back I used to what @richardhomer recommended to clean the stylus, the green Linn paper, it was excellent. Surprised Linn still don't make it, well that's what I was told a few years back.

I now use a 'pan brush', one of these http://www.analogueseduction.net/stylus-cleaners/ortofon-carbon-fibre-stylus-brush.html with the arm locked in the resting position, brush very gently from back to front. If the dust is real stubborn I use a small amount of Clearaudio stylus cleaner applied with supplied brush, again gently from back to front, then the pan brush to finish.

I also still have one of these but not used it in ages:

Remember on some arms when the headshell is removable (unlike the Rega), people remove it and turn it upside down to clean the stylus, thus as stated above you have to be careful with liquid cleaners running down the cantilever in to housing. 

As for record cleaning...I'll leave that be for now:-)

Steve