Headrush Gigboard

Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
edited January 2021 in Amps
So I’ve picked up a nice Headrush Gigboard from @mboz and I’m looking at my options for sound output.

I tried it into my hifi yesterday as id rather integrate it into a living room setup than get an frfr. It sounded louder & ‘fuller’ from the headphone out into the 3.5mm aux in than it did the r+l stereo outs into the stereo aux ins on the hifi. 

I thought the cab modelling would be present in both scenarios but does the difference I’m hearing mean the cabs are only via headphones?

Given this, my main question is should I buy studio monitors or continue with a hifi setup? It sounded good through both but as above, a bit better via the headphone out. Assume it’d be no worse into monitors?

Cheers all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DaiBDaiB Frets: 10
    Hi,

I had a Gigboard but eventually moved it on, not because it wasn’t great, but because it was overkill for me and I spent the majority of the limited time I had faffing with it rather than playing.

However, initially I used the return loop of my Marshall DSL1 and it was ‘ok’, but then I got a cheap pair of minutes - Presonus Eris 4.5, and the sound came alive. I would absolutely recommend going the monitor route if at home.

Hope this help.

Cheers,

Dave 
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    I have a Gigboard. 
    When I was looking at speaker options I worked out that to get best output you need something with full range frequency response. This means either studio monitors, or something like the Headrush FRFR 108 powered speaker which is what I have and can recommend.
    Your Hifi speakers are probably not FRFR, which is maybe why they don’t sound so great. 
    At low volumes I find headphones are still better though, mainly because I can’t then hear the acoustic sound of me plucking the strings.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    FRFR is a bit of a misnomer.  Well maybe very high end studio monitors 

Based on the FRFR tag everything would sound the same

some HIFI speakers might sound ok, I have some that sound great used as monitors, but certainly different to my Genelecs.

id say for home use get a pair of studio monitors, 5” or bigger.  The headrush mentioned above would be a good option if ever you were going to gig with it.

or the HIFI may be an option, what is it?

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    A denon dm38 through some sony speakers.

My experiment was the same hifi just aux out of the gigboard vs it’s headphones out. Both times into the aux in of the denon. Headphone out sounded great - better than aux out so was wondering if monitors would be better again
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited January 2021
    IMO the dm38 is a bit underpowered, but if you only want to play quietly then if it sounds good enough it’s good enough.  I’m sure some monitors would sound a lot better though.

id try some jack to rca cables and use the main outs from the headrush to the aux in RCA’s on the denon

no reason the headphone out should sound better, other than it’s louder
    Thanks @John_A. ;The jack to rca is what didn’t sound as good as the headphone out hence the OP. I think I need to give a pair of monitors a go.
  • I had a Gigboard for a few months, but sold it on when the project I bought it for folded. I'm an amp guy, it's no reflection on the Gigboard. It was pretty good. 

Studio monitors from the normal outputs sounded good. 
    Yep I just don’t have the ability to play a proper amp setup despite having a couple of nice ones. I like it overall.