Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are you good at something you hate doing?

What's Hot
I hate writing documentation and training courses. Probably because I am crap at the "making it look good" part but I am (or so I have been told) good at putting the actual content together.
I find it a tedious task, but because I'm good at it, I'm constantly being asked to do it. Yet nobody is willing to step up to make it look good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Bodging stuff around the house. 

Im asked first to try and fix it. 
    I have no knowledge. Bodge it as a temp repair. 

Once thats done there is zero interest in getting it properly remedied lol. So my bodge is a fix to people, and they ask me to fix it again when the repair fails haha.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27053
    Writing proposals for financial advisory work. It’s the biggest most horrible bit of my job.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    DIY plumbing, I really hate it, it's always in a confined space, you always have to contort yourself to reach a fitting and it's always filthy. I'd much rather get someone in, but I am quite good at it. I could never do it for a living though.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    I’m good at fixing things too but I often don’t get a lot of satisfaction out of it. The problem is I’m too much of a perfectionist and if it doesn’t look right, even though it works perfectly well, it pisses me off every time I look at it. I’m also not a natural at a lot of diy jobs... tradesmen make it all look so bloody easy!  
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    edited January 2021
    I'm good at confrontation. I absolutely hate doing it but at work when there's an issue I'm always the one asked to go to more senior management and address it, or make complaints to difficult people. I'll do it, and I'll express myself and argue my point effectively, but then I absolutely hate the atmosphere it can create and the way it changes your working relationships, even when you're absolutely in the right, but I am pretty good at it. I'm also good at haggling and fighting my corner with legal matters, retail complaints etc. Don't hate that as much though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

Solving Windows OS and driver faults. I don't mind IT hardware but dealing with Windows and tracking down faults in the registry drives me mad. It's time consuming and annoying that the majority of the world is using such a shit OS with so many problems. I can do it, if I don't understand what's wrong I will keep googling till I do, which is why I'm good at it. But it drives me mad. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12373
    I don't hate it as such but I was always very good at darts even though I had no particular interest in playing.  I could hit 60's, 100,s 140's most goes and could always finish.  Never had any interest in developing it though.

I have a friend who is naturally good at pretty much any sport he tries but never stuck at any of them.  He was signed by a premiership team but didn't put the fitness work in and drifted away.  He ended up playing in a 5 a side pub team with me and my useless mates - it was like getting pele to play with a non league side he used to score 5 plus goals a game giving it 50%.

Used to annoy the hell out of me!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Repairing filthy, rusty old valve amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'm good at confrontation. I absolutely hate doing it but at work when there's an issue I'm always the one asked to go to more senior management and address it, or make complaints to difficult people. I'll do it, and I'll express myself and argue my point effectively, but then I absolutely hate the atmosphere it can create and the way it changes your working relationships, even when you're absolutely in the right, but I am pretty good at it. I'm also good at haggling and fighting my corner with legal matters, retail complaints etc. Don't hate that as much though. 

No you're not!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Even though it's what I do for my job, I don't really enjoy writing that much. For the most part I find it boring and mechanical and a bit of a chore. I get much more satisfaction out of playing, recording or mixing music even though I'm probably less good at it.
  • I'm not good at much to be honest. 
  • Solving family tech issues. I'm pretty much the default person now anyone phones from the family with tech problems.

Mostly I just google the problem, but the result is I appear all-knowing. 

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Running strangely, seems my body is suited to endurance, low heart rate, etc, trained and ran marathons with no real problems, wouldn't say i particularly enjoy going to the limits though, especially as i'm fundamentally a lazy F*&ker  
  • Yes - my job. Computers, programming, system design...the whole lot.

Never, ever make your hobby your job. You'll grow to hate it eventually.

Most days, I wish I'd taken up fishing instead.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22904
    Accountancy....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate recording
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    I'm not even any good at anything I like doing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Accountancy....
    That genuinely made me chuckle. I do a few bits and pieces for my dad who's an accountant (as are a few others in my family) and they largely share the sentiment.

It's not the actual accountancy but often dealing with clients my family seem to despise the most.

Yes - my job. Computers, programming, system design...the whole lot.

Never, ever make your hobby your job. You'll grow to hate it eventually.

Most days, I wish I'd taken up fishing instead.

I'm not an idiot using computers (but not an expert by any stretch) but I really hate using them any more than I should.  I miss the time when it was possible to turn them off as well, opposed to always having one in your pocket to check emails, like Instagram posts and so on.
    Even though the pay wasn't great, some of the best jobs I ever had were ones which were 'completely offline'.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    When I was younger I had a girlfriend who was going to become an accountant. Her father was an accountant and it was clear he'd never really wanted to do it so I was confused as to why she would. But I visited the family home which was something akin to a stately home in a Yorkshire village so ahh okay, a boring job can buy you a lot of stuff. Although none of my boring jobs have ever really bought me that much stuff. Perhaps I should have become an accountant. 

She was last seen heading off toward a job with KPMG, I wonder how she got on. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Never, ever make your hobby your job. You'll grow to hate it eventually.
    I worked in videogames for over a decade. Felt pretty much the same by the end.

People have suggested I do photography professionally, but I say no as I want to carry on enjoying photography.