Looking for a 2nd electric, £600 max, with something other than single coils

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
edited April 2021 in Guitar
I’m looking to double my electric collection... to two. 

I already have a Tele, so looking for something different, maximum £600, with P90s/PAFs/HBs that would sound good through a 65 Princeton RI.

Any ideas?

(NB. Not looking for a Les Paul, I just can’t gel with them.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Some sort of PRS SE perhaps? I'm not particularly clued up on their model range, but maybe a Custom 24?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Thinline or Tele Deluxe with HBs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5808
    There’s something beautiful about a Tele and a Gretsch....

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/205225/gretsch-5420t-electromatic#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2226
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 245
    Thinline or Tele Deluxe with HBs?

Got a 72 Thinline Tele for sale here at £550.00. Looks ideal and it's a beaut according to others (I play acoustic).
  • I'd suggest a Pacifica 611.

P90 neck, splittable HB bridge, trem or hardtail, excellent build quality and more or less on budget. 
    It's definitely NOT a Les Paul.
    It seems like a wonderfully versatile guitar. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    PRS SE are very good.  Some of their pickups tend to be a bit hot though for my tastes.

Sire have a good reputation although I've not personally played any.

Slightly leftfield but some of the Gretsch Electromatics look very nice.  I'd definitely be looking at them in your shoes.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    edited April 2021
    I would go for the aspen green Gretch g5420 with bigsby in the classifieds. Hollow, whammy bar, humbuckers. Looks great within budget and different to the tele. 
  • If you've already got the whole bolt-on neck, single coil box ticked then I'd go for something set-necked and Gibson-esque for contrast.

If you can't get away with LP's then I'd go SG. 

Best bang for you buck would be either a used 2020 Epiphone "Inspired By Gibson" range SG (either the Special if you fancy P90s, or the '61 reissue if you prefer humbuckers), leaving loads of money left over for a major pickup upgrade and a thorough set-up with any other minor hardware upgrades that might be needed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Some great suggestions so far.

What about this? Could not be more different to a Tele: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-prophecy-sg-black-aged-gloss/940202
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Some great suggestions so far.

What about this? Could not be more different to a Tele: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-prophecy-sg-black-aged-gloss/940202
    I limit myself to three electrics, to me tele's feel more like les pauls/SGs than does a semi hollow, hollow or something with a trem.   My jaguar felt more different to my tele than my 335 did due to the tremolo.

But it's your choice get what makes your heartrate increase.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
    edited April 2021
    munckee said:
    Some great suggestions so far.

I limit myself to three electrics, to me tele's feel more like les pauls/SGs than does a semi hollow, hollow or something with a trem.   My jaguar felt more different to my tele than my 335 did due to the tremolo.

But it's your choice get what makes your heartrate increase.
    Very good point. The Inspired by Gibson ES-335 is also very much on my radar as well, but I do love an offset.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14575
    For complete contrast against the Telecaster, I suggest going pointy shred stick. HH, five-way selector switch, fixed bridge. 

Ibanez RGA121
    Ibanez RG321MH + case + pickup upgrade

Of the PRS SE range, I suggest the original flat top Custom Semi-Hollow + pickup upgrade. (Specifically, Duncan P-Rails N and P-Rails Hot B plus some means of switching them between HB and P90 modes.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    The other guitarist in my band had a Gibson SG Standard but moved it on as he much prefers the pair of Fret Kings he has. Worth checking out.
  • For complete contrast against the Telecaster, I suggest going pointy shred stick. HH, five-way selector switch, fixed bridge. 

Ibanez RGA121
    Ibanez RG321MH + case + pickup upgrade

Of the PRS SE range, I suggest the original flat top Custom Semi-Hollow + pickup upgrade. (Specifically, Duncan P-Rails N and P-Rails Hot B plus some means of switching them between HB and P90 modes.)
    It is very different, but me no like pointy shred stick... cannae shred and not my sort of music. Thanks, though  :)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    I’m looking to double my electric collection... to two. 

I already have a Tele, so looking for something different, maximum £600, with P90s/PAFs/HBs that would sound good through a 65 Princeton RI.

Any ideas?

My main guitar is a Tele and my other two guitars have single coils (P90's, and Speedbumps which are very low output guitars). I just acquired a guitar with HB's and I found they react very differently to fuzz pedals, in particular my Muffs which are a bit part of my sound.

So if you do get a guitar with HB's or otherwise, I'd factor in some of the budget for pickups in case the ones of your new guitar do not suit your pedals and a bit of the budget for a set up as well.

Personally, if I was you if you are happy with your Tele as your main electric and have resisted the temptation to have a lot of guitars, I'd go in a slightly different direction and get an acoustic guitar.
  • I’m looking to double my electric collection... to two. 

Any ideas?

My main guitar is a Tele and my other two guitars have single coils (P90's, and Speedbumps which are very low output guitars). I just acquired a guitar with HB's and I found they react very differently to fuzz pedals, in particular my Muffs which are a bit part of my sound.

So if you do get a guitar with HB's or otherwise, I'd factor in some of the budget for pickups in case the ones of your new guitar do not suit your pedals and a bit of the budget for a set up as well.

Personally, if I was you if you are happy with your Tele as your main electric and have resisted the temptation to have a lot of guitars, I'd go in a slightly different direction and get an acoustic guitar.
    I do love a Tele, just used to the size/shape/neck, etc. Already have a lovely Guild OM acoustic so covered on that front.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498

I do love a Tele, just used to the size/shape/neck, etc. Already have a lovely Guild OM acoustic so covered on that front.
    Superb, I have a nice Guild acoustic as well. They are great,

In that case, I would get another Tele and put in some different pickups or different woods, eg maple neck if you have a rosewood one, ash body if you have an alder body and so on. Firebird pickup or Charlie Christian, then you still have the Tele familiarity but with some different sounds.

Going off topic but have you tried flipping the control plate? I just did that with mine, and I wish I did earlier on, a lot of fun for experimental/shoegaze playing for doing volume/eq swells.

• I do love a Tele, just used to the size/shape/neck, etc. Already have a lovely Guild OM acoustic so covered on that front.
    Superb, I have a nice Guild acoustic as well. They are great,

In that case, I would get another Tele and put in some different pickups or different woods, eg maple neck if you have a rosewood one, ash body if you have an alder body and so on. Firebird pickup or Charlie Christian, then you still have the Tele familiarity but with some different sounds.

Going off topic but have you tried flipping the control plate? I just did that with mine, and I wish I did earlier on, a lot of fun for experimental/shoegaze playing for doing volume/eq swells.
    I daren't touch the control plate, I'm a Luddite  :)

My Tele is a US Performer Honeyburst, RW fretboard and Mojo Broadcaster pickups, so... a Tele that's not that basically  =)