After nearly six years I’ve finally fallen off the wagon.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited August 2021
    B)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    Headache Zepp?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    munckee said:
    Headache Zepp?
    Nope, up and out on the balcony having a coffee and a rollie at 06:30 this morning. Was the best nights sleep in years.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    i quit both drinking and smoking cold turkey in 2004. got no plans starting again.
    I tried smoking cold turkey once. Got basted. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    zepp76 said:
    munckee said:
    Headache Zepp?
    Nope, up and out on the balcony having a coffee and a rollie at 06:30 this morning. Was the best nights sleep in years.
    Pleased to here it.  Now pack the rollies in : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    munckee said:
    zepp76 said:
    munckee said:
    Headache Zepp?
    Pleased to here it.  Now pack the rollies in : )
    Ok I’ll light up me pipe or a cigar next time.  :3
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    I don't really drink. Very occasionally and only cos I don't like the taste of most alcohol.

I am such a wimp I get drunk on my own red wine jus (with brandy) on a Sunday afternoon (I am not kidding).

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    I'll be a little more head-on.

You sound like you're depressed despite the slightly childish 'ahh fuck it' responses you've followed up with. Real depression not general malaise.

I don't know you but I do know you quit because it was a problem. I know that you knew it was a problem. I know that posting a thread about 'falling off the wagon' wasn't the celebration you've maybe painted it to be. A 'cry for help' may be overstating it but I think we're in the right area.

You slipped up. Now stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    fob said:

You sound like you're depressed despite the slightly childish 'ahh fuck it' responses you've followed up with. Real depression not general malaise.

I don't know you but I do know you quit because it was a problem. I know that you knew it was a problem. I know that posting a thread about 'falling off the wagon' wasn't the celebration you've maybe painted it to be. A 'cry for help' may be overstating it but I think we're in the right area.

And the award for most empathic counsellor of the year goes to...
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Coincidentally I relapsed at about 6 years.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Alcohol's a very strange thing really. I'm sure I'm not alone in having drank more regularly than before during the last year, with these extended lockdowns. It got to the point where I was automatically cracking open a beer after dinner, and going through whisky bottles at a moderate but sustained pace.

After a few months I had to not drink for a week to check that I could.

Then I think about something like coffee - I only have 2 cups a day, morning and mid afternoon. But if I miss the morning one, I'll probably have a headache. So that's a physical dependency, but for some reason society doesn't mind that or treat it like a moral or character failure.

A friend's dad had a real problem with drink - lost his license, job, and got kicked out of the family home. He took his dad to AA meetings a few times and said to me that it was very strange because some of the people there were describing stuff that just sounded normal to him - "I can't get home from work without looking forward to that first sip"... that's something a lot of people can relate to.

I guess to my mind, it's only a problem if it's causing problems. The difficulty is in having the self awareness to know if you've crossed that line, I guess - lots of people can live in denial for a long time.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    fob said:

And the award for most empathic counsellor of the year goes to...
    I think @fob is being as friendly as possible here. It was what I was thinking. I know a bit about addiction and know that a slip up isn’t too bad, repeating it is a problem.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Cirrus said:
    Alcohol's a very strange thing really. I'm sure I'm not alone in having drank more regularly than before during the last year, with these extended lockdowns. It got to the point where I was automatically cracking open a beer after dinner, and going through whisky bottles at a moderate but sustained pace.

Then I think about something like coffee - I only have 2 cups a day, morning and mid afternoon. But if I miss the morning one, I'll probably have a headache. So that's a physical dependency, but for some reason society doesn't mind that or treat it like a moral or character failure.

A friend's dad had a real problem with drink - lost his license, job, and got kicked out of the family home. He took his dad to AA meetings a few times and said to me that it was very strange because some of the people there were describing stuff that just sounded normal to him - "I can't get home from work without looking forward to that first sip"... that's something a lot of people can relate to.

I guess to my mind, it's only a problem if it's causing problems. The difficulty is in having the self awareness to know if you've crossed that line, I guess - lots of people can live in denial for a long time.
    There are so many forms of addiction which can get passed off and overlooked quite easily. The addiction to buying and consumerism. I’m sure there will be people on the end of this on here. Addiction to foods both consuming and not eating. Funnily enough you don’t see many people giving out sympathy to those that over eat. Plus many many more.

What I love about this forum is that we are on here discussing addiction. It’s vital especially in the times we are in. Often it’s easier to discuss addiction with those not close to you and as a result this forum can be of value far extending the advice of a pedal board set up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    shaunm said:
    Cirrus said:

There are so many forms of addiction which can get passed off and overlooked quite easily. The addiction to buying and consumerism. I’m sure there will be people on the end of this on here. Addiction to foods both consuming and not eating. Funnily enough you don’t see many people giving out sympathy to those that over eat. Plus many many more.

What I love about this forum is that we are on here discussing addiction. It’s vital especially in the times we are in. Often it’s easier to discuss addiction with those not close to you and as a result this forum can be of value far extending the advice of a pedal board set up.

This is why I've stuck with the forum though I've given up with all the others I used to contribute to.  I see lots of examples of genuine empathy/sympathy, when so many other forums just seem to be all about oneupmanship and general nastiness.  

On the subject of alcohol it's one area where I can claim a degree of expertise.  My first wife was an alcoholic, but so cleverly concealed that it took several years and a total breakdown of the relationship before I realised.  She suffered serious health issues shortly after the divorce, and I would guess she's probably dead now.  My dad was similarly highly dependent on drink, and a chain smoker to boot, and he died before he was 50.  

I have a particular aversion to drunkenness when used as a comedy construct, it really upsets me.  There's nothing remotely funny about when you've regularly been on the receiving end of an alcoholic's bad temper.  That's not to say I don't enjoy a drink myself, but I'd be very happy to live in a world where alcohol didn't exist.    

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited May 2021
    I don't know you or your history, but while I don't see the problem in enjoying a bottle (or 2) every once in a while; if you find yourself relying on it in order to be happy, or forget your problems, that's when i'd nip it right in the bud. When i was hooked on mary jane for example, the moments in between actually sparking up were a constant state of non-presence, always looking forward to a state of getting high which became my default state after a while. Now like you (presumably), I have a very addictive personality, and do exercise that need for decadence every now and again - no need to deny it totally, just don't let it get to the point where it controls you. Or if your situation is a little more precarious, cut it completely and divert it to other pursuits. I like the rush of cycling long distance. That high for me beats the marijuana or alcohol high. And it doesn't cost anything.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom