Potential house move again....

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Reading this makes me glad I don't live in London. We live a 15 minute drive from the centre of Belfast in a 3 bed detached house with a decent garden and off street parking for 3 cars, close to a variety of good schools, and paid £190k for it 8 years ago.

£500k will buy you a nice 4 bed detached with a good garden in all but the most expensive parts of Belfast (and indeed in almost any part of Northern Ireland)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    The price of houses in London is a lot of money.

Where I live, in the elsewhere, for a lot of money you could buy a bigger house!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I should've predicted the response really :lol:

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Cirrus said:
    The price of houses in London is a lot of money.

Where I live, in the elsewhere, for a lot of money you could buy a bigger house!

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5276
    boogieman said:
    mgaw said:
    Personally I would relocate to North Cornwall and live an outdoor beach orientated lifestyle 
    Well ok, I‘m sure some people would love to do that, but what about your job, your child's schooling, keeping in contact with family and friends, the lack of infrastructure, transport links etc etc? It might sound idyllic on paper but it’s definitely not for everyone. 
    I live here @boogieman and its ace.  Lack of infrastructure?  Dont recognise that tbh.  Its a bit out of the way for sure. Big difference as far as kids go is they are not growing up breathing the shite air in London. Mine finish school and go for a surf 

I find the whole London thing ridiculous. Especially with a Young family. But hey everyone has their preferences
    TTony said:
    boogieman said:
    mgaw said:
    Personally I would relocate to North Cornwall and live an outdoor beach orientated lifestyle 
    Well ok, I‘m sure some people would love to do that, but what about your job, your child's schooling, keeping in contact with family and friends, the lack of infrastructure, transport links etc etc? It might sound idyllic on paper but it’s definitely not for everyone. 
    Drew in Cornwall .... can you imagine???
    I can actually. He would gain a ruddy complexion, wear smelly clothes and wellies and fit in nicely with the local farmers

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    mgaw said:
    TTony said:
    boogieman said:
    mgaw said:
    I can actually. He would gain a ruddy complexion, wear smelly clothes and wellies and fit in nicely with the local farmers

and once a year we could saddle him up and ride him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, well thanks for the advice all.

Bye!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22904
    mgaw said:
    I find the whole London thing ridiculous. Especially with a Young family. But hey everyone has their preferences
    That's probably why they moved to Australia.  But I thought it was from Glasgow.
    octatonic said:
    mgaw said:
    TTony said:
    boogieman said:
    mgaw said:

and once a year we could saddle him up and ride him.
    Why a saddle.  He looks tame enough to go bareback surely!
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 453
    I grew up in Wembley, still live in north London and my mum and brother are now in Stanmore / Canons Park respectively. Yes, I'd agree with leaving Queensbury. What about Canons Park? Or, looking at the Northern line, I'm less sure on Colindale, so much building works going on there...but there are some decent roads there slightly away from the new developments but heading towards Burnt Oak (but I think Burnt Oak is not great / burnt out).

Good luck. Prices are silly here.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    The burnt oak after which the area is named was apparently used for local witch craft centuries ago.

Not much has changed!
  • Parts of Burnt Oak are okay. Got family and friends who live near Montrose Ave, and it's quite nice. They've just built a big park there and again, there are regeneration plans for the next 10 years or so.

Someone did just get murdered there the other week by the tennis courts though. :astonished: 

Bye!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Be careful before assuming you can convert a garage into a studio. It will probably be built without a proper damp course, it will be hard to soundproof, and it may be hard to properly secure and heat, depending on what the roof is like.

Mine wasn't even suitable to convert into a decent workshop even though it was a very solid brick one, so in the end we decided to spend a lot more and have replaced with a proper two-floor extension so we got an extra bedroom as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I can't see Drew in Cornwall. I mean, do we even know if he has a sister?!?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18785
    ^  Who knew tennis courts were that dangerous.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    boogieman said:
    p90fool said:
    If I've learned anything from this thread it's that there is an actual place called "Colindale".

I used to live not far from Drew’s old place. Colindale has the RAF museum, on the site of what used to be Hendon Aerodrome. There were loads of aircraft factories around the area at one point too. It’s mostly all gone now, there’s a huge amount of new build flats on the site. The Peel Centre, the old Met Police training college was very near there too. 
    Ah ok, I know the area then or at least have been to RAF Hendon and have passed Hendon police training college a few times. 
    VimFuego said:
    I can't see Drew in Cornwall. I mean, do we even know if he has a sister?!?
    Dont matter none he can have a go on mine if he wants,  the fact shes my wife doesn't matter either

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Be careful before assuming you can convert a garage into a studio. It will probably be built without a proper damp course, it will be hard to soundproof, and it may be hard to properly secure and heat, depending on what the roof is like.

Mine wasn't even suitable to convert into a decent workshop even though it was a very solid brick one, so in the end we decided to spend a lot more and have replaced with a proper two-floor extension so we got an extra bedroom as well.
    I'm fairly sure it'd be possible. Others in the area of the same house type and construction have been done. 

Brick up the dark blue garage door, floating floor with acoustilay 15 subsurface, add some skylights, should be pretty decent.

Bye!