Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Land for sale

What's Hot
Why is it so hard to find land for sale?
In the next 4 to 5 years we are looking to move out of the big smoke. We are anti-social bastards so looking for a house in the country with no neighbours. One of the options is maybe a self build via a kit house.
There do not seem to be any good land for sale sites that you don't have to pay for. And what land I have found is mostly to build multiple small houses on.
I assume that new planning laws are geared towards building lots of small houses due to the housing shortage. So anybody like me looking to upsize to a new build is turned off the idea.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    Because capitalism...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    I heard a few years ago that for the builders every 4th house is straight profit (it's probably every 2-3 by now). So they can afford to pay much more for the land. Sadly.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Buy land, they’re not making any more of it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    you could try stealing it. You know, find somewhere you like and each time you go past, take a bucket of it home. I reckon in 4 or 5 years you'll easily have enough to build a house on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    “Buy land, they don’t make it any more”
    In the UK local councils keep registers of land which could be used for building. You can bet that developers have pored over those registers, and made offers on the land. Farms have also been targeted because, at some point, the farmer might be persuaded to retire, and the farm buildings converted.

One avenue is to find a small house or bungalow with land attached, demolish and rebuild.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Roland said:
    “Buy land, they don’t make it any more”
    In the UK local councils keep registers of land which could be used for building. You can bet that developers have pored over those registers, and made offers on the land. Farms have also been targeted because, at some point, the farmer might be persuaded to retire, and the farm buildings converted.

One avenue is to find a small house or bungalow with land attached, demolish and rebuild.
    even that is difficult, where my mum lives they've pulled down one such house like that, and are building 6 houses on it (3 of which are already sold), so you're competing against someone who is able to bid much more than you.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Supply and demand innit? It’s all the fault of those Charlie Luxton/Grand Designs/Homes under the Hammer type tv programs. Now the world and its wife think they can go out and buy a plot of land and build on it. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27571
    VimFuego said:
    Roland said:

even that is difficult, where my mum lives they've pulled down one such house like that, and are building 6 houses on it (3 of which are already sold), so you're competing against someone who is able to bid much more than you.

Look for plots where you're not going to get permission for a small development type development.  That needs to be outside village development boundaries, and not an old farm where you could convert separate outbuildings into separate dwellings.

Few and far between though.

And they tend to be at the end of dirt tracks, rather than on avenues.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Switch625 said:
    Because capitalism...
    Hardly.

It's because of corruption in the council system, and because of concerns about the green belt.

A friend of mine lives in Oxford. His family owns some land. They're not allowed to build on it. The family owns it. The council says no.

Go figure that out.

Bye!

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3166
    tFB Trader
    My half-sister and husband are trying to do this. They bought the land a few years back and are having real trouble trying to make progress. Every small step forwards is a massive hurdle that takes months to complete. They were living in an Airstream on site but gave up and have moved back in with my Dad and Stepmother. Think they'll eventually give up and cut their losses.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Dav275Dav275 Frets: 293
    Keep an eye on sites like https://www.greenshifters.co.uk/  and https://www.ruralscene.co.uk/properties/ . Also you sometimes get land for sale on http://https//www.accidentalsmallholder.net/

Good luck with your search, but I suspect the last couple of years of more people homeworking/escaping the cities has eaten up the supply, or at least pushed prices up.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27571

A friend of mine lives in Oxford. His family owns some land. They're not allowed to build on it. The family owns it. The council says no.

Go figure that out.
    It's because the council has the job of ensuring responsible/sustainable/appropriate (etc) development.

Sometimes it's to stop building on floodplains.  Or building where there's inadequate infrastructure.  Or building a towerblock in someone's back garden.  Or protecting the greenbelt*.  Or destroying natural habitats.  Or because the backhander wasn't big enough.

*For those who live in London, the "greenbelt* isn't what Greta uses to keep her trousers up.   
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 293
     We are anti-social bastards so looking for a house in the country with no neighbours.

Or, this has just come on the market near me. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114459959#/?channel=RES_BUY
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited October 2021
    TTony said:

Go figure that out.
    It's because the council has the job of ensuring responsible/sustainable/appropriate (etc) development.

Sometimes it's to stop building on floodplains.  Or building where there's inadequate infrastructure.  Or building a towerblock in someone's back garden.  Or protecting the greenbelt*.  Or destroying natural habitats.  Or because the backhander wasn't big enough.

*For those who live in London, the "greenbelt* isn't what Greta uses to keep her trousers up.   
    Yeah, they did all that. Some of the housing was for family use, some of the housing was for social use, affordable housing, that kind of thing.

The truth is, the council wants them to sell the land to a developer. Some shenanigrannies going on....

Bye!

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Dav275 said:
     We are anti-social bastards so looking for a house in the country with no neighbours.

Or, this has just come on the market near me. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114459959#/?channel=RES_BUY

No issues with nosey/noisy neighbours there!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Iamnobody said:
    Dav275 said:

map shows it's right by an A road, cunningly not shown in the photos.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    pmbomb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dav275 said:

So it does, but it’s set back a good 60 metres I’d say from the road. No neighbours just the distant hum of traffic!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Because many aristocratic bastards already own the land worth having.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Iamnobody said:
    pmbomb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dav275 said:

So it does, but it’s set back a good 60 metres I’d say from the road. No neighbours just the distant hum of traffic!
    The "distant hum" of about 3 cars a day, I'd bet.  ;)

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Because they're not making any more of it.