Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Land for sale

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dav275Dav275 Frets: 293
    Nitefly said:
    Iamnobody said:
    pmbomb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dav275 said:
     We are anti-social bastards so looking for a house in the country with no neighbours.

Or, this has just come on the market near me. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114459959#/?channel=RES_BUY

No issues with nosey/noisy neighbours there!
    map shows it's right by an A road, cunningly not shown in the photos.
    So it does, but it’s set back a good 60 metres I’d say from the road. No neighbours just the distant hum of traffic!
    The "distant hum" of about 3 cars a day, I'd bet.  ;)

About right.  Plus the occasional tractor!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    trolley said:
    I heard a few years ago that for the builders every 4th house is straight profit (it's probably every 2-3 by now). So they can afford to pay much more for the land. Sadly.
    Yes that equates to about 25 % return on a huge capital investment with a relatively slow realisation.
    I would be surprised to see any business model that was a bankable concern that was able to operate on less ;in fact compared to the 700% rapid margin on retail Coffee shop sales or the 400% retail clothing margin it seems they are positively slaughtering themselves.
    Note to Housebuilders ..........must increase margins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    Why is it so hard to find land for sale?
    In the next 4 to 5 years we are looking to move out of the big smoke. We are anti-social bastards so looking for a house in the country with no neighbours. One of the options is maybe a self build via a kit house.
    There do not seem to be any good land for sale sites that you don't have to pay for. And what land I have found is mostly to build multiple small houses on.
    I assume that new planning laws are geared towards building lots of small houses due to the housing shortage. So anybody like me looking to upsize to a new build is turned off the idea.

very hard
    supply and demand, driven by idiotic planning laws

pragmatic approach is to buy a knackered house and demolish it 

There are sites on websites, but usually overpriced

Easier to buy an existing building most likely. Old pubs are cheap, but another planning battle to change their use

Other tactic is Live/work, easier to get permission for that. Need for most of the floorspace to be a business, harder for planners to refuse
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12350
    Try to build an eco-house on your own land, not a chance. Mr McAlpine wants to build 7 square miles of concrete on greenbelt-suitcase full of cash will do nicely Sir.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    TTony said:

A friend of mine lives in Oxford. His family owns some land. They're not allowed to build on it. The family owns it. The council says no.

Go figure that out.
    It's because the council has the job of ensuring responsible/sustainable/appropriate (etc) development.

The truth is, the council wants them to sell the land to a developer. Some shenanigrannies going on....
    Councils have targets for new house building in their areas.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    TTony said:

A friend of mine lives in Oxford. His family owns some land. They're not allowed to build on it. The family owns it. The council says no.

Go figure that out.
    It's because the council has the job of ensuring responsible/sustainable/appropriate (etc) development.

The truth is, the council wants them to sell the land to a developer. Some shenanigrannies going on....
    And they are legally compelled to have those targets, and identify land to build on

Switch625 said:
    Because capitalism...
    Hardly.

It's because of corruption in the council system, and because of concerns about the green belt.

Go figure that out.
    most of the reason is planning laws and policies set up since ww2 that prioritize several key outcomes, some of which frequently seem rather strange and obstructive
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Roland said:
    TTony said:

Go figure that out.

And they are legally compelled to have those targets, and identify land to build on

I believe the targets are imposed by central govt. I don't think they have to identify land per se, everywhere should have something called a neighbourhood plan, that sets a boundary of where land can be developed, it's up to individual private landowners to apply for PP. However once that's done there's a set of procedures councils must adhere to when granting or refusing PP. So long as the process is followed correctly, then there's not a lot councils can do one way or another, no matter how much nimbyism they encounter. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• The way I see it... man owns land.... man wants to build on land... he owns.....

That should be the end of the story.

Blaming this on capitalism is idiotic. This isn't capitalism. This is councils with a protection racket.

Bye!

• Move to Canada, they're practically giving it away over there and you'll get much more for your money in all aspects of life and a better standard of living too. When we sold our semi detached house I looked at what that amount of money would get me in Canada, and I could buy a whole private island with a hotel, bar, events hall, campsite and about 200 acres of land for the same price. It needed a bit of work but I'm sure you could find something slightly smaller that's much nicer for that price too 
    Maximum volume yields maximum results
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    SUNBATHER said:
    Move to Canada, they're practically giving it away over there and you'll get much more for your money in all aspects of life and a better standard of living too. When we sold our semi detached house I looked at what that amount of money would get me in Canada, and I could buy a whole private island with a hotel, bar, events hall, campsite and about 200 acres of land for the same price. It needed a bit of work but I'm sure you could find something slightly smaller that's much nicer for that price too 
    must confess, for a long time I did dream of doing this, the wide open spaces really appealed to me (and still do). But mrs f was dead set against it, and now I'm too old to have a realistic chance of getting in.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Switch625 said:
    Because capitalism...
    Hardly.

It's because of corruption in the council system, and because of concerns about the green belt.

Go figure that out.
    most of the reason is planning laws and policies set up since ww2 that prioritize several key outcomes, some of which frequently seem rather strange and obstructive
    The priority seems to be maintaining house prices for those who already own. You could argue otherwise, but if you look at population figures versus house-building, it's having this direct result. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    No,this isn't the case.......property prices are a free market subject to simple supply and demand economics but related to economic factors prevailing such as interest rates ,LIBOR rates etc.
    Tell your "maintaining prices for those who already own " to the millions caught with substantial negative equity during the Norman Lamont era not so long ago or more accutely to those old enough to remember the resounding crashes of 1969,1972 and the debacle of 1988.
    I'm not just argueing otherwise ........your statement is preposterous and very much disproved.
  • Switch625 said:
    Because capitalism...
    Feudalism more like