New Player Jazzmaster Limited Editions...Uh-Oh!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If it’s using the same bodies as the CME ones, which I suspect it is, they’re already routed for the rhythm circuit. 
    They are, I mentioned above after @octatonic post.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    edited October 2021
    octatonic said:
    Rhythm circuit or GTFO.
    That's why I put a pair of those PV 65 pickups in a Squier VM Jazzmaster. Next I'm swapping out the pots and switches.
    Have you got some recordings of where you'd use it? As in, a band setting not just home noodling?

No idea why you'd get a lower quality instrument so you could have the neck pickup routed through a volume pot with far too big a range and tone pot that goes from extremely dark to unusable. Willing to be proven wrong though. There's a good chance this player model is already routed for it anyway and just needs a new pickguard.  

I used it as a preset for an ebow the couple of times I used one at a gig. Have disabled it on my JM now though. Anyone else have a use case?
    Prove to you that I like what I like? Odd. 

I got that Squier VM around 5 years ago, and the PV pickups were very cheap (on sale plus payed using retailer “points”). The Player wasn’t available then (obviously), and this Squier is by no means inferior. It’s incredibly light, and the neck is a dream. It’s probably the target of the most “if you ever think about selling it” comments I get of any guitar I have. The tech who installed the pickups was in love with the thing.

As far as use cases go, there are whole lot of contexts that are neither “full band” nor “home noodling” - though given how the large majority of guitars are never gigged, I’m not sure why home noodling would be such a bad thing. I’ve used the rhythm circuit for a lot of things that reward a lot of fundamental - adding an octave up, synth pedals like the Source Audio C4, and harmonizers - the polyphonic ones track especially well with it in my experience. It can also sound menacing with heavy fuzz. I’ve used it on some independent film/web series soundtrack work, but no, I don’t have a link (nor the rights).

Also, there’s no reason why having the rhythm circuit is committing to those pot values. I know another player who uses his to get normal (I think he used 250K), independent volume and tone for the neck pickup - which can be very handy indeed.

Not saying anyone else has to like it, but for me, if it’s a Jazzmaster, I want those extra controls. And yes, the Player very well may be able to accept them with only a pickguard swap. I’m not the one who said GTFO. I’m just saying “yeah, I want the rhythm circuit on mine.”

I’m sure this Player is a nice guitar, and if it and the American Professionals are any indication, the folks at Fender clearly have turned their collective nose up at the rhythm circuit. I still want it (on both the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar).
  • octatonic said:
    Rhythm circuit or GTFO.
    That's why I put a pair of those PV 65 pickups in a Squier VM Jazzmaster. Next I'm swapping out the pots and switches.
    Have you got some recordings of where you'd use it? As in, a band setting not just home noodling?

No idea why you'd get a lower quality instrument so you could have the neck pickup routed through a volume pot with far too big a range and tone pot that goes from extremely dark to unusable. Willing to be proven wrong though. There's a good chance this player model is already routed for it anyway and just needs a new pickguard.  

I used it as a preset for an ebow the couple of times I used one at a gig. Have disabled it on my JM now though. Anyone else have a use case?
    Prove to you that I like what I like? Odd. 

I got that Squier VM around 5 years ago, and the PV pickups were very cheap (on sale plus payed using retailer “points”). The Player wasn’t available then (obviously), and this Squier is by no means inferior. It’s incredibly light, and the neck is a dream. It’s probably the target of the most “if you ever think about selling it” comments I get of any guitar I have. The tech who installed the pickups was in love with the thing.

As far as use cases go, there are whole lot of contexts that are neither “full band” nor “home noodling” - though given how the large majority of guitars are never gigged, I’m not sure why home noodling would be such a bad thing. I’ve used the rhythm circuit for a lot of things that reward a lot of fundamental - adding an octave up, synth pedals like the Source Audio C4, and harmonizers - the polyphonic ones track especially well with it in my experience. It can also sound menacing with heavy fuzz. I’ve used it on some independent film/web series soundtrack work, but no, I don’t have a link (nor the rights).

Also, there’s no reason why having the rhythm circuit is committing to those pot values. I know another player who uses his to get normal (I think he used 250K), independent volume and tone for the neck pickup - which can be very handy indeed.

Not saying anyone else has to like it, but for me, if it’s a Jazzmaster, I want those extra controls. And yes, the Player very well may be able to accept them with only a pickguard swap. I’m not the one who said GTFO. I’m just saying “yeah, I want the rhythm circuit on mine.”

I’m sure this Player is a nice guitar, and if it and the American Professionals are any indication, the folks at Fender clearly have turned their collective nose up at the rhythm circuit. I still want it (on both the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar).
    You definitely don't have to prove anything. Just wondered what made it essential when the benefit is negligible. I'm sure the Squire is a great guitar in itself. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I’m most offended by the fingerboards to be honest. I know it’s been done to death, but it just looks wrong. 
    Have to agree!