Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Marshall in a Box Pedals

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
I'm drooling over the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret MKIII...but what is the best Marshall in a Box pedal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PS, I use am Egnater Tweaker 40 set to sound as close to Fender cleans as I can, so I fancy being able to go Marshall grit at the press of a footswitch.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd vote for the Wampler Pinnacle or  MI Crunch box.

The pinnacle has more variations in sounds although the crunchbox is a bit of a one sound pedal (imho) it does a great job of that sound.
    For slightly less gain, I really like the look of the HAO rustdriver that's for sale on here - if I had a spare loop in my board I'd have already grabbed it.
  • not_the_dj;31768" said:
    PS, I use am Egnater Tweaker 40 set to sound as close to Fender cleans as I can, so I fancy being able to go Marshall grit at the press of a footswitch.
    Wish somebody would come up with a mod to switch the eq from US to bit via a foots witch on the a Egnator. Rather than switching the FX loop off
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    I have a DLS MkI and it's very good (You could probably buy it if you like) 

Interestingly its surprisingly not that high gained, but it is as good as it's word and works exceptionally well when pushed by other pedals (TS, Liquid Sunshine)

The other reasonably low gained, but very Marshally pedal is the Box of Rock which I love the sound of, but hate the form factor (sideways pedals WTF?) 

My latest revelation is the Super Crunchbox. I liked the old one, but it was a bit of a one trick pony focussing on the nastier high gain JCM800 tones and it could sound artificial when cranked. The new one is awesome with a "Plexi" type mode for more open sounds (which is what I'm using) and a more compressed mode which sounds quite like a Pinnacle. Also it's now 18v internal voltage which makes it a lot more "ampy" than the old one. It's a LOT higher gained than the DLS or BoR (at least in high gain mode)

The Pinnacle I like, but it was a bit too compressed and likes to stamp on your amps character for me to keep it. 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2367
    ^ I was gonna say the super crunchbox looks pretty nice, but I haven't tried it. Nice to hear it's good.

Most of them, as you suggest, seem to aim either at the more vintage marshall-type tone or the more modern higher gain marshall-type tone. The SCB is one of the few that seems to try to do it all, but whether it does it as well as ones solely aimed at that specific tone, I dunno.
  • I really like the Carl Martin Plexitone. But the Marshall Jackhammer on the OD setting works very well too
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I really like the Carl Martin Plexitone. But the Marshall Jackhammer on the OD setting works very well too
    +1 on the plexitone, I forgot about that one,  I really liked it and if I hadn't already got the pinnacle I would have kept it.
  • Distortron gets my vote. The Bogner Blue has a "plexi" setting. ;)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

MXR Distortion 3, I've had sounds from Hendrix to AC/DC (using different guitars) using this and a clean set DSL.

Using a Strat you can get nice Hendix-y sounds, and using 'buckers any thing from AC/DC to pretty heavy rock. It's has a little too much mids for "thrash" but for classic rock I'd recommend.

I'll bring it to the next BeagleFest so you can try.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Marshall guvnor easily.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    The Guvnor Plus is a great pedal for not much cash, but it's more like a preamp than a regular drive box. 
  • Thanks guys. I had a Marshall Guv'nor years ago...and the pedal junkie side of my personality wants something new ;-) 

The BoR layout puts me off those as well. 

The Pinacle and Plexitone are certainly options, I'll look into those. 

Hadn't considered the MXR though, that'd be great to try out, thanks. 

It's nothing I'm despirate for, just pondering a few what ifs. 

• i have the MXR Distortion 3...although i really liked it and shouldn't have sold it...i didnt think it was marshall sounding? 

i had the DLS Mk1.2 with the internal switch to add more dirt...and that was amazing, either as stand alone or pushing other pedals.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2367
    yeah the plexitone is nice (assuming my cheapo joyo hot plexi is a clone of it, which i suspect it is, but i haven't opened it to see), but it's one of the lower gain ones, i'd say.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    I was going to say it can't be because they're about as completely different as two pedals can be, but I didn't realise Carl Martin do a small battery-powered Plexitone now...

The original big mains-powered one is fantastic - about as close to Van Halen in a box I've ever heard - but is, er... big and mains-powered :), which will put some people off. The one I had leaked dirt into the bypass signal very slightly as well - which is something that annoys me, although it probably only matters if you want your clean sound strictly clean. Surprisingly it gets very close to sounding like a Marshall amp even though it doesn't have a full EQ, which is something I usually find a requirement. They much have just voiced it exactly how I like inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The mxr purple plexi is another Marshall type. Sounds awesome. Build your own from poodle pedals if you want it cheap, as I don't think they're made anymore ;)
  • IanSavage said:
    Don't need to spend megabucks, Marshall Guv'nor. 
    Yes, indeed. I have an original and it sounds like a JCM800 on full chat. Superb :D
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    I have the Pinnacle and its very good but its very much a Plexi on steroids type Marshall. Fine if thats what your after but it doesn't do early Hendrix Plexi that well.

I also have a Menatone Workingmans Blue (JTM45 style), indeed I have two of them, which is very good indeed for that early Marshall sound. I also have a Menatone (yeah I really rate those pedals) Blue Collar which does a compressed higher gain 80's Marshall sound quite well. I'm still after the King of the Britains which is supposedly more early 70's Plexi.

Menatone do very good amp in a box pedals, I also have the TBIAC which has never left my board, and apparently the Foxy Brown was a 20watt Marshall style pedal, now not available sadly.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2013
    Thanks guys. It's definately a more classic rock plexi sound I'm after