NAD: Spark MINI

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2180
edited May 2022 in Amps
My Spark MINI arrived today after the typical Positive Grid delay. 

I have to say I’m very impressed. 

I had the bigger Spark 40 but sold it, as I found it too heavy in the bass and it isn’t really a portable amp, given it needs to be plugged to the mains and it was quite bulky compared to a THR for example. 

Enter the MINI. All the features of its bigger brother, plus the benefit of having a built in rechargeable battery and being super small, so you can move it wherever you need it with zero fuss. 

It sounds much bigger than it is and the sound IMO is better than the Spark 40 at lower practice volume, given they have been able to reduce the boominess this time. 

It’s really well made and has a nice sturdy weight to it. 

The app and connectivity is great. It just seems to be the ideal practice amp. 

I’m going to build my own presets and replace the ones on the hardware, so I’ll have 5 good tones, directly accessible on the amp, without having to get my phone out. The presets as standard have so much delay on them, everyone sounds like a U2 song, with extra delay…. Why do they do that? 

Anyway, I recommend it. I was skeptical given its dinky size, but it sounds much better than expected and will definitely do for practice! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Sounds like they've addressed the main issue with the bass and nice one.

My mate has the bigger one but he ordered the Mini and it's coming in tomorrow. I can't wait to try it.

Enjoy yours @Barnezy ;

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I ordered at the 1st batched and only just got my dispatched email today! When did you get the email?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    can we move this to the AMPS section so I dont get confused
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2180
    I ordered at the 1st batched and only just got my dispatched email today! When did you get the email?
    Today and it arrived today. 
    Barnezy said:
    Today and it arrived today. 
    Nice, hoping it arrive before the weekend for me.  Annoying the website still says it hasn't been shipped even though i had the email.
    bertie said:
    can we move this to the AMPS section so I dont get confused
    fanku

Just had another play on it, but this time it was about 5ft away instead of right next to me. 

It sounds so much bigger! Really does sound like a big amp. It’s so strange when you look at it, as the sound coming out doesn’t make sense. 

Hope you enjoy yours when it arrives! 
    Barnezy said:
    Just had another play on it, but this time it was about 5ft away instead of right next to me. 

It sounds so much bigger! Really does sound like a big amp. It’s so strange when you look at it, as the sound coming out doesn’t make sense. 

have you ever tried a THR ?     

bertie said:
    Barnezy said:

Yes, I’ve owned a THR10, 10c and 5. 

They are great and I was going to pull the trigger on the new one, when I sold my Spark 40, but it was so expensive, so I delayed it. Then this came out. 

This is much better for me. The size, battery and price are the main selling points for me. THR can’t touch it on these and it sounds just as good. 
    I might have to sell the Spark 40 then if this is THAT good.  No point having both.
    edited May 2022
    Barnezy said:
    bertie said:
    Barnezy said:

They are great and I was going to pull the trigger on the new one, when I sold my Spark 40, but it was so expensive, so I delayed it. Then this came out. 

This is much better for me. The size, battery and price are the main selling points for me. THR can’t touch it on these and it sounds just as good. 
    ah - good to hear - Ive a 10C  and do love it tonally/sound wise,   but the having to take out and re-charge the batteries  is a pain.......and they dont last "that long"   (I use it mainly in the garden or where I cant get to a mains outlet)  the USB/built in charging was one of the main attractions for me to pull the trigger...................  just the "phone i/f"  was a bit of a "hesitation moment"  -  cos that side if things the THR wins hands down.........................
    bertie said:
    Barnezy said:
    bertie said:
    Barnezy said:

ah - good to hear - Ive a 10C  and do love it tonally/sound wise,   but the having to take out and re-charge the batteries  is a pain.......and they dont last "that long"   (I use it mainly in the garden or where I cant get to a mains outlet)  the USB/built in charging was one of the main attractions for me to pull the trigger...................  just the "phone i/f"  was a bit of a "hesitation moment"  -  cos that side if things the THR wins hands down.........................
    You can setup 5 presets yourself and save it to the amp, then never use the app again. I’m not a fan of apps etc either. 

On my THR I only used 2 profiles ever and never bothered with any effects other than a bit of reverb. If you’re similar, this will be fine. 
    I might have to sell the Spark 40 then if this is THAT good.  No point having both.
    I’d say it depends on how loud you play it. I practice at what I’d call a loud TV volume, no louder, so this is fine. 
    Barnezy said:
    I’d say it depends on how loud you play it. I practice at what I’d call a loud TV volume, no louder, so this is fine. 
    ditto,  beginning to look forward to it now................... even tho I havent yet told Mrs Bert its what "she bought" me for my birthday........................ in March
    Just got tracking from DPD for Tuesday delivery.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022
    ooh nothing (notification wise)  here yet...........  
  • JJManJJMan Frets: 35
    I love my Boss Katana Air :-)
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    Would've got one if I didn't have the Spark 40. Would still like to pick one up in the future maybe second hand.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    How much are people paying for the mini's ?.
    edited May 2022
    mark123 said:
    How much are people paying for the mini's ?.
    $214 USD for Batch No.1 (inc delivery), I think at the time it back in early March it worked out to £160.  Today's exchanger rate is £173.

I just checked, today at $195 + $35 delivery, works out to £186.  I guess early bird got around 14% off, a large part due to the stronger pound 2 months ago.