Daisy Tempest On Andertons - Interesting Video

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    edited July 2022
    Dunno what people are complaining about. I mean everyone is saying "no experience" and "hasn't been in the game long enough" but if you order one today, by the time she finishes building it she will have been in the guitar business for half a decade.

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Collings said:

I don't know if I've got some sort of brain poisoning, but I saw that thumbnail and immediately thought "that looks like a piece of....THE TREE"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    bertie said:
    Benm39 said:
    £2.6k for a Brook. And they're much nicer looking
    FTFY

Hehe indeed! I certainly wouldn't easily part with my Taw, it's awesome and just keeps getting better. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    BillDL said:

3 years seems to me like a long lead time, however if she is going to keep stopping to enrich the customer buying experience by taking lots of photos for the curated book for each one, she will probably need that long.

Maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way round. Perhaps the curated book is the product and the guitar is just a bonus. There are plenty of social media personalities who seem to make a good living out of selling expensive personalised content to their fan base and you could view this as an extreme example of that business model…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    steveh said:
    What I will say is she is head & shoulders above 95% of the competition on marketing, and I can absolutely see that being her most in-demand skill going forward.

I've witnessed several ways to succeed as a sole luthier, charging very big wedge for your product.

1.     Spend years learning your craft, like Rory Dowling & Rosie Heydenrych, getting better and better.

2.     Apprentice with a stellar luthier for a couple of years; Ervin Somogyi is the best known. Jason Kostal, Tom Sands, and many others have done that.

3.     Build a head of steam on the AGF, with multiple people praising your guitars.

4.     Get you guitar into the hands of someone famous: Jim Olson and James Taylor, Stefan Sobell and Martin Simpson.

5.     Get snapped up by TNAG or Dream guitars (requires some of the factors above for this to happen).

All of these pivot on guitars in player’s hands. And great guitars at that, able to command the high price of entry.

Whether success at this level can be achieved when the focus is predominantly around social media “froth”, I guess we’ll find out in time. 

or option 6....learn how to load a blank into a CNC machine and attack a guitar with a razorblade / brillo pad. Get picked up by Fender / Gibson as a 'Masterbuilder'. Say some dumb shit and have to leave. Setup your own business with a reputation as a established luthier. Watch The Gear Page flock to buy your stuff. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I watched a few of her vids. She comes across as someone who vaguely knows what she’s on about. Weather that’s genuine or intentional I cannot say. 
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    BillDL said:
    Assuming that she is careful not to dismiss other builders and her mentors, or say anything else out of place
    https://www.tatler.com/article/meet-daisy-tempest-guitars-luthier

"Daisy recalls how her first apprenticeship encouraged cheap labour and emotional abuse". 

I particularly liked "bitter old white men" as well. Her clientele perchance?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    edited July 2022
    A comment from my wife there was “if she is in Tatler then she comes from the right sort of family”

If she made a comment about sweeping the floors that’s a red flag about her attitude as a whole. 

edit: just read the article. I’m sorry but she can do one with the sob story about being from a “poor” posh family. She doesn’t have a clue what poor is, she can go explain to a lad from Easterhouse how with her composer father, artist mother and holidays at stately home estate that she was just as poor as them. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    She claims to be from a posh family? Really? With that accent? Yep, and I'm from the jungles of Morocco, born of a village sorcerer and his ape.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7249
    Tannin said:

I'm from the jungles of Morocco, born of a village sorcerer and his ape.
    That admission should really be in the thread about white lies  ;)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I've a feeling that being a pretty  girl is driving most of the media frenzy.

That's fine but is it enough to bring orders/sales? Not to my mind. I think the frenzy will die down and she'll struggle.

I wish her well, having said that and I applaud her for trying :) 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4216
    To be fair to her, it must be tough being interviewed by Lee Anderton because you have to find a way of politely dealing with the fact that he doesn't really know what he's talking about a lot of the time. You can see the will to live draining away from a lot of the musicians he has on ... he kind of drags the conversation down to his level.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Tannin said:
    She claims to be from a posh family? Really? With that accent? Yep, and I'm from the jungles of Morocco, born of a village sorcerer and his ape.

Eh? 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1581
    Lewy said:
    To be fair to her, it must be tough being interviewed by Lee Anderton because you have to find a way of politely dealing with the fact that he doesn't really know what he's talking about a lot of the time. You can see the will to live draining away from a lot of the musicians he has on ... he kind of drags the conversation down to his level.
    Thats a bit harsh.
    Lewy said:
    Well they say you have to be relatable to your audience
    Tannin said:

The Tempests are one of England’s oldest Catholic landed gentry families. Roger Tempest, the current custodian of the Broughton Hall Estate is the 32nd Tempest in a recorded line dating from the 12th century.
    Aye you’re right, nothing posh about her family. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    CHRISB50 said:
    Tannin said:

Eh? 
    He's got "form" with this sort of stuff. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Am I the only one thinking “Stringray”?