School me on Atkin

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My personal view is that their Martin-alikes are better than their Gibson-alikes. Some of their Martin based models that I’ve played have been really good in a tight, bright, loud way. But I haven’t played a Gibson based Atkin which impressed me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1892
    Why are Martin guitars more highly rated than Taylor guitars? Is it simply longevity?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    edited July 2022
    My old D37 was easily the best D28 type I've tried. Wasn't suitable for the material I was playing at the time so moved it on... which I now regret. 

Tried two examples of 'The Forty Three' and an Essential D, none of which inspired me. 

Had an invite to try a Jumbo down at their workshop in Kent as there was no stock anywhere, but then no further response to my messages. Ended up happy with a bargain J-200 Studio from eBay for a third of the price. 

Why are Martin guitars more highly rated than Taylor guitars? Is it simply longevity?
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited July 2022
    I had an Atkin Forty-Three. It was OK, but didn't last long. A caveat here: I didn't really take the time to get it set up the way I like. I like it set low almost like an electric set up.

I sold three Gibsons fairly recently - an LG2, an L-00 and a J45, all perfectly nice guitars. The LG2 popped up for sale again at the place that I sold it to, and I went along with the purpose of buying it back.

There was an Atkin Small Jumbo Black Pearl Edition which absolutely knocked the socks off the LG2. I say that with reluctance because a) I'm a Gibson fanboy - OK, fanoldgit - and b) the LG2 was about £800 cheaper, both used.

It was lively and vibrant and made the LG2 - which I really liked - sound a bit lifeless and dull. I didn't want the Atkin to be better, tbh.

I bought it. Anyway, a little later I went to sell it because I'm not really an acoustic player and wasn't doing it justice, so I ordered a used Martin 000-15M to fill its boots. Anyway, the Martin arrived and it was very nice, but unsurprisingly given the price difference, the Atkin was just better. I had to withdraw it from sale, at least until I find something that's as good.

I bought another L-00 this week at a very decent price, thinking that this might do it - my other L-00 was really nice and I missed that. It turned up a couple of days ago, I did a quick comparison, and sold the L-00 again today.

The neck on the Atkin is probably a little slim for me, truth be told- perhaps it's just the Small Jumbo spec, because every other Atkin that I've tried has been reasonably chunky. It feels like quite a shallow D and the string spacing feels a touch narrower than I'm used to, but it's so light, resonant and lively, that it's a joy to play. I've got the action lower than a snake's belly, which isn't to everyone's taste, but I like it.

It sounds fabulous and feels like a top quality guitar - most acoustics feel 'unfriendly' to me (action too high and string tension too great) but this one's a joy.

If I'm to be a bit critical, I'd say that the 'ageing' on the two that I've had hasn't impressed me that much. It's certainly nothing like the effect that age has had on my properly old guitars. The crazing looks a little 'chemical' if that makes any sense, and I could live without a 'reliced' model in that respect.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472

They sound better
    crunchman said:

They sound better
    Surely that is in the ear of the listener?
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    crunchman said:

They sound better
    Surely that is in the ear of the listener?
    Well it would be true, if only they all did  :)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5546
    bertie said:
    They tend to have very narrow necks and string spacing which doesn't suit me.
    very narrow ? really ?  :s   most are 43 / 44  which is pretty much "standard" 
    43mm is narrow. 42mm is "very narrow". 44mm and 44.5mm are standard. I like 46mm much better but only the Europeans  seem to do that other than by custom order.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited July 2022
    Tannin said:
    bertie said:
    very narrow ? really ?  s   most are 43 / 44  which is pretty much "standard" 
    43mm is narrow. 42mm is "very narrow". 44mm and 44.5mm are standard. I like 46mm much better but only the Europeans  seem to do that other than by custom order.
    wrong
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    If we are talking longevity @guitarjack66 a Taylor guitar is a better better bet than a Martin. Taylor use a much superior neck attachment method which is easier to get right in the first place, and far easier to adjust if it ever needs it. Martin have been making guitars for much much longer and have become captive to some of their own history. Taylor is a young company with fresh idea, many of them good ones.

Having said all that, Martin still make an excellent guitar and I'd be happy to own the right one when I meet it. (I have very nearly bought two or three and regret not getting a particular HD-28 while I had the chance.) I may well buy a Taylor one of these days too.

The big difference though is the house sound. Most Martin guitars have a warm, balanced sound overall but with a big, muffled bass. It is a very, very popular sound and nobody does it better than Martin. Taylors usually have a bright, chime-like sound with a zinging treble. Some people describe it as a "more modern" sound. I don't agree with that, it's just the Taylor sound. Neither one is "better" they are just different. I think they are both great sounds and I'd be happy to own one of each.

As for Atkin, you don't see them at all in my part of the world, so I've been reading the experienced comments of several posters above with interest. One of these days I'd like to buy a UK-made guitar and it will probably need to be completely sight unseen (no-one imports or sells them here in Oz) so the more I can learn the better.

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2022
    bertie said:
    Tannin said:
    bertie said:
    very narrow ? really ?  s   most are 43 / 44  which is pretty much "standard" 
    wrong
    Why is that wrong ? @Tannin got that pretty much spot on for most  acoustic players 
    ^ Woops. I misread Artiebear's comment, laughed, clicked LOL, read it properly, and realised I'd been laughing at a joke that existed only in my head.  Now I can't get hold of my therapist 'coz it's Sunday, and I can't un-click the LOL!

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Tannin ; - you can remove the LOL by doing a refresh and clicking the LOL one more time :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    One LOL removed, one Wiz added. :)
  • slowth84slowth84 Frets: 0
    Wow such great input!

yes i refer to cross the pond as I browse mostly us retail and forums but it’s true I’m really based Far East. 

Almost any custom shop, small builder is sight unseen. 

I know how some builders in the Martin-esque sound like bourgeois, H&D etc. 

i think I hope the essentials lean closer to the Martins than even these builders.  

If I didn’t already have a Boucher Sg-51, I would consider om37. But I’m just zero-Ing on mahogany now. 
    And I’m really lusting after Martin custom
    sinkers. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @slowth84 ; - you always *will* get a varied response mate bacause people are different.

It's true of *any* forum. 

I tried the Atkin Essential D and the D37. They weren't for me but may be right for you.

If on the other hand you want a Martin, you have a dealer in Singapore: City Music :) 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    The Essential D is superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1595
    edited July 2022
    @slowth84, have you had a look at or had a chance to play a Waterloo?

They do a similar thing to Atkin, only better imo.

edited...initial comment read back a little harsh I think.  
  • slowth84slowth84 Frets: 0
    Mellish said:
    @slowth84 ; - you always *will* get a varied response mate bacause people are different.

It's true of *any* forum. 

I tried the Atkin Essential D and the D37. They weren't for me but may be right for you.

If on the other hand you want a Martin, you have a dealer in Singapore: City Music :) 
    Ha thanks for the homework!

Im familiar with city music. Our small city state however doesn’t get the real goodies the big markets receive. Standard line, a modern deluxe here and there. 

Waterloo have had inflated prices the last years I believe. And none here as well.