ACOUSTIC POLL: pick, fingers, nails, fingerpicks.

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5546
Simple poll carrying on from the thread @TheMadMick started.All acoustic players please say what you use. Example answers:

* Pick, brand X, medium
* Fingerstyle, flesh not nails
* Alaska picks
* fingers, mix of fleshy and nails
* flatpick or metal fingerpicks

I'm interested to see how many of us are pick users, how many fingerstylists, and so on.

(You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say may be taken down in evidence and used against you.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15643
    let's see, fingerstyle with nails and flesh. I also occasionally use a thumb pick, depending on what I'm doing.

For strummy strummy stuff I just use a dunlop .75mm (or whatever it is, the dark grey one).

For more flatpicking stuff, I use a brand whose name totally escapes me, supposed to be a poor mans bluechip. It's all white, if that helps. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    edited July 2022
    Picks of varying thickness and material
    Fingerstyle with a little nail
    Fingerstlye with thumb pick 

Completely depends on what the music/style demands, and whether I'm amplified or not. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Finger style flesh not nails. Can’t use a pick. Strum with side of thumb.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5546
    Fingerstyle, mix of flesh and nail, mostly flesh. Hopeless with a pick. Strum with difficulty.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2373
    I'm not really an acoustic player, more electric, so I mainly use a pick (usually thin celluloid, or medium when I'm doing slightly rockier stuff- I use heavy celluloid for electric). I'm trying to learn fingerstyle too.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    100% pick and trying to develop a hybrid technique. For a long time I tried to find “the one” ….a single pick that would do for everything. I liked the simplicity of the idea. But I’ve since moved over to having a few preferred which I dip in and out of. 

I also think I’ve tried every pick ever made including the Booteek makers…..Blue Chip, Charmed Life, Wegen, wooden picks, bone picks, celluloid picks, metal picks,  you name it…..

My current go to selection is the Dunlop Flex Triangle 1.14, and the D’Andea Celluloid Heavy (& sometimes Medium Heavy). 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8779
    All of the above at various times. Generally I prefer flesh and nail.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited July 2022
    99.99%  fingers with nails for everything (picking strumming what ever) ,  but only about 5mm,  8mm ish max. 

If I lose the thumbnail, I use a thumbpick,  (worn high on the thumb nearly on the knuckle)

If I lose a finger nail,  I tend not to play (acoustic)  at all until it has grown a couple of mm 

I cannot and do not like, playing with "fleshy bits"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4266
    VimFuego said:

For more flatpicking stuff, I use a brand whose name totally escapes me, supposed to be a poor mans bluechip. It's all white, if that helps. 
    Wegen?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 75
    Fingerpicking with flesh.
    Strum using thumb and first finger. 
    Lewy said:
    VimFuego said:

Wegen?
    bingo, that's it. 

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3780
    bertie said:
    99.99%  fingers with nails for everything (picking strumming what ever) ,  but only about 5mm,  8mm ish max. 

If I lose the thumbnail, I use a thumbpick,  (worn high on the thumb about 1/2 way to the knuckle)

If I lose a finger nail,  I tend not to play (acoustic)  at all until it has grown a couple of mm 

I cannot and do not like, playing with "fleshy bits"

Just remember that @bertie's definition of fleshy bits may be different :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    drofluf said:
    only when I hit a bum note
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1595
    Good thread @Tannin ;

Pretty much only fingerpicking, using a Dunlop tortoiseshell thumb pick size large and bare fingers. Sometimes use a black mountain and slickpick white. 

If I do need to strum,  'Moving To Kansas City', 'Sally, Where'd You Get Liquor From', etc, I'll use the thumb pick on the down strokes and fingers on the up. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1468
    bertie said:
    drofluf said:
    only when I hit a bum note

Bollocks!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1468
    All flesh and nail for me. Used to be all plectrum many years ago. Learned to fingerpick and I can't go back. Why would I, it's awesome =)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5546
    Gandalph said:

If I do need to strum ... I'll use the thumb pick on the down strokes and fingers on the up. 
    Now that is interesting! I don't want to derail the thread, but I can't let that pass. I'd really like to watch you playing something @Gandalph  ; because it's practically the opposite of what I do! When I have to strum I use my fingers on the downstrokes (any single finger, or all three, or more often both ring and middle as the mood takes me) on the down, using nails, and I struggle with the upstrokes.  Thumb  doesn't have enough oomph (I don't have a thumbpick, just a big callus) and upstrokes with the fingers seem to lack attack. I've tried growing my thumbnail but never really got the hang of that. Sometimes I do a bit of the old double-flick picking (like a mandolin player) with the tip of my index finger, but only when I'm in my best form and getting a bit carried away 'coz it's hard to do without a plectrum. 

I do keep my nails at a particular length, just barely extending beyond the fingertip so that (when picking single notes) I can use all-flesh, or rotate my wrist a bit for some nail, or - a party-trick effect that I over-use shamelessly - flesh and nail with the tip of the finger and the nail, being a few mm apart, sounding separately but very close together. It sounds a bit like using a shark-tooth pick, sort of the acoustic equivalent of stepping on the overdrive pedal. Purists would be horrified. Classical players would probably shoot me. (It's the sort of silly thing that flamenco players do all the time and make work. Who knows? Maybe it's an actual proper technique with a fancy Spanish name!)

I'm the same re fingernail length, never more than 1mm, just a hint of white showing really. I see a lot of classical guitarists and they have talon like fingernails. Even without the practicalities of everyday life with nails like that, I can't play guitar with nails that length. 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Fingerstyle. Mostly flesh.

Strumming varies depending on what I'm playing. Either thumb or back of the hand for downstrokes and a brush up with fingers for the up stroke. 

None of the above is set in stone and can vary depending on the song and can in fact be a a combination of the above in the same song. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Fingerstyle with nails.  Sometimes a small Fred Kelly thumbpick, depending on the piece.  Having got used to nails some years ago, I find the tone I get from skin is just too dull.  I’m not very careful about nail maintenance, so they are usually a bit too long.

Picking and strumming with a Herco flex 75.

I sometimes strum with the back of my finger nails (down) and back of my thumbnail (up).