ACOUSTIC POLL: pick, fingers, nails, fingerpicks.

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
    @bertie ; - can't you? Try Icon Music. I think I got a green one from there for a mate a couple of years ago.

His name's Tom, give him a bell. He's got a website :) 
    mate,  life's too short..........................................     :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @bertie ; - I suppose.

I have yellow, orange, green and white. But if you asked me the difference between the green and white, I'd struggle to tell you because it's very minor. They both feel as rigid, whereas yellow is the most flexible and orange sits between yellow and white  :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    I thought the speedpicks only came in orange! You live and learn. One advantage of the orange is that you can spot it more easily if you drop it on the pub carpet.... :)
    @Soupman ; - besides the colours I've mentioned there's at least one more: pale blue.

At Fred Kelly Picks. com you can get a pack of 24 (assorted colours, gauges etc). But be carefull when ordering as they do them for right or left hand. No joke, it's a fact and it does make a difference fit-wise :) 
    edited July 2022
    ok well they've just arrived  -   first impression,  they're very tight,  possibly too tight - Im going to try a quick dip in v.hot water to see if I can loosen them a tad

I dont have very big thumbs, but like to wear them up close to the joint
    @bertie ; - sounds like you ordered the wrong size.

Where are you based? If you PM your details I'll pop yellow, orange, green and white in the post. They're all medium :) 
    edited July 2022
    @Mellish ;;

thanks for the offer -  they sent "regular"   which I guess is medium..................   I'll see how I get on with these,  and might order "large" ones (that's the only two sizes I can see at Eagle Music)
    bertie said:
    @Mellish ;

thanks for the offer -  they sent "regular"   which I guess is medium.................. 
    Possibly mate. I'd be pretending if I said I knew :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nah - too tight,  they dig in at the base of my thumbnail - very uncomfortable,  so Ive ordered a set of large.

Gone for the "graded" but TBH I think yellow is the one for me

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1590
    Just ordered a set of the Alaska pik's, the plastic ones. 
    I could never get the right angle using the metal ones to avoid that horrible scraping sound on the wound g string. I'll see what these are like.
    may well be my last attempt with finger picks - fingers crossed!
    edited July 2022
    @bertie ; - if you get the size  right mate, you'll love 'em.

Pity there isn't a local shop that  stocks them so you can try for size  
    Gandalph said:

all plastic or the metal "frame"  plastic blade ?

Ive got some somewhere,   the metal just didnt feel "comfy" for me
    bertie said:
    Gandalph said:

all plastic or the metal "frame"  plastic blade ?

Ive got some somewhere,   the metal just didnt feel "comfy" for me
    All plastic, no metal involved. Tried the Dunlop and pro-pick metal one's and couldn't make them work. 
    edited July 2022
    Gandalph said:

All plastic, no metal involved. Tried the Dunlop and pro-pick metal one's and couldn't make them work. 
    no I couldnt get on with the "all metal" ones  --  far too "clouty"   for me/my playing - thats why I tried the metal/plastic hybrids........ but still felt uncomfortable.   Lets see what these larger Freds are like when they get here

WRT fingerpicks,  tried the Alaska picks years ago - and again, just too uncomfortable,  you still need an amount of protruding nail to get the "grip" for the "blade"  and that amount I can pretty much play with anyway
    (dont ask what the #5 is - its a stock image)

@bertie, yes they're the ones I ordered, arrived today but my nails are currently too short so they won't latch on. I'll let them grow a bit but as you say with the amount of nail showing in the picture I'd probably be able to play with just nails anyway :/ 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    edited July 2022
    https://imgur.com/CVxPEsV
    David Russell use a piece of ping pong ball on his 'a' finger. Not sure how it would work on a steel strung guitar but i guess anything's possible.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3021
    edited August 2022
    Due to the courses syllabus I'm doing, LRCM and ABRSM classical guitar, I've been making serious concious efforts to not use a pick, and only my finger nails and pads, even when I pick up an electric.  My actual preference is hybrid picking, to be more accurate what I call ''lazy sloppy hybrid picking'' basicilly using whatever happens to be the most convient for the needed note, be that a pick, finger nail, pads, side of my thumb, fretting hand, or not picking but muting a string then hammering on the note and unmuting the string at the same time, or muting the sting hammering on a not then sliding up to the note I want and unmuting that string once i reach the note I'm aiming for - these sound a lot harder to do than they really are, a very minamilist approach to picking.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Interesting responses Fretboarders!

From my back-of-an-envelope figures, fingerpicking is very popular here. Per this thread, 86% of acoustic Fretboarders (30) play with fingers regularly, either as a primary or secondary technique. 60% (21) mostly play with their fingers. 40% (14) use a pick regularly as either a primary or secondary technique), and 14% (5) mostly use a pick.

Now I'm only guessing this bit, but I'd lay odds that if you ran the same poll over on AGF (an American forum) you'd get a clear majority of pick users. Dare I attribute part of this difference (if indeed it is a difference) to the influence of Celtic music? And/or funny tunings? And/or the typical national instruments - a big shouty dreadnought (a D-18, say) on the one hand vs small Irish-style concert guitars (such as a Lowden)?

Be all that as it may, my rough count winds up with:

14% - 5 fingers (nails & flesh)
    14% - 5 fingers (flesh)
    14% - 4 fingers (nails)
    11% - 4 pick
    9% - 3 mix: all sorts
    9% - 3 mix: pick - fingers (flesh)
    9% - 3 fingers (thumbpick and nails)
    6% - 2 mix: pick - fingers (nails)
    1 pick (hybrid picking)
    1 mix: pick - fingers (nails & flesh)
    1 fingers (fingerpicks)
    1 fingers (unspececified)
    1 fingers (thumbpick and flesh)
    1 fingers (unspecified, with thumbpick)

• Tannin said:
    Interesting responses Fretboarders!

From my back-of-an-envelope figures, fingerpicking is very popular here. Per this thread, 86% of acoustic Fretboarders (30) play with fingers regularly, either as a primary or secondary technique. 60% (21) mostly play with their fingers. 40% (14) use a pick regularly as either a primary or secondary technique), and 14% (5) mostly use a pick.

Now I'm only guessing this bit, but I'd lay odds that if you ran the same poll over on AGF (an American forum) you'd get a clear majority of pick users. Dare I attribute part of this difference (if indeed it is a difference) to the influence of Celtic music? And/or funny tunings? And/or the typical national instruments - a big shouty dreadnought (a D-18, say) on the one hand vs small Irish-style concert guitars (such as a Lowden)?

Be all that as it may, my rough count winds up with:

14% - 5 fingers (nails & flesh)
    14% - 5 fingers (flesh)
    14% - 4 fingers (nails)
    11% - 4 pick
    9% - 3 mix: all sorts
    9% - 3 mix: pick - fingers (flesh)
    9% - 3 fingers (thumbpick and nails)
    6% - 2 mix: pick - fingers (nails)
    1 pick (hybrid picking)
    1 mix: pick - fingers (nails & flesh)
    1 fingers (fingerpicks)
    1 fingers (unspececified)
    1 fingers (thumbpick and flesh)
    1 fingers (unspecified, with thumbpick)

Out of curiosity, what catergory did you put me in?  If it wasn't for the music courses and me hoping to go to music college, I'd use a pick, my finger nails, pads of my fingers, the side of my thumb even when I'm holding a pick, my fretting hand - as in use either the pads or nails on fingers I'm not fretting with.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Good question. I can't see a "barking mad" category there, so I probably counted you as "mix: all sorts". :)